This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's Play Racing Games!

Civ is all well and good, but how about we play some racing games? I'm talking Dirt 2/3, Grid 2, Burnout Paradise... Let's burn rubber people!

Who's down? I want to coordinate some good race sessions.

Comments

• I'm garbage but I do own Dirt 3.
  • I only play racing games in person. Let's all find an Initial D machine and meet up.
  • The Crew beta kicks off again on the 25th, so I suggest anyone who likes racing games gets in on that before then. If you're in, tell me, I'll be playing some while it's on.
  • edited August 2014
    Jordan O. said:

I'm garbage but I do own Dirt 3.

Are we friends on Steam? Add me and I will make you not garbage.
    Churba said:

The Crew beta kicks off again on the 25th, so I suggest anyone who likes racing games gets in on that before then. If you're in, tell me, I'll be playing some while it's on.

Interesting game. Looks like someone trying to do Need For Speed World right. The only thing that worries me is that the emphasis on the RPG elements might detract from the racing aspect of it. How are the physics? How is the matchup system?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Physics are fine enough, though a little rough in the last round, but they've spent some time tuning that up. The matchup system isn't quite the same as anything else about, but it works well enough, and it doesn't force you into anything.

The RPG stuff isn't in the way, it's basically just swapping and tuning parts, sort of like how the Need For Speed underground games had different upgrade kits and the like. It's just a bit more detailed - so that instead of "Street kit B", you have "Street Spec", and then aside from that you have your Headers, ECU, cams, EFI, transmision, etc, etc.
  • edited August 2014
    Oh okay. That's cool.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being NFS Underground 2's drift stages and 10 Dirt 3, where are we at physics wise? (10 really should be F1 2014, but that would be crazy.)
  • Apreche said:

I only play racing games in person. Let's all find an Initial D machine and meet up.

Next time you come to Massachusetts, go to Game Underground in Framingham. They have Intial D as well as DDR(or DDR style, I'll admit I'm not sure) and other awesome stuff.

• I sorta got back into Paradise a bit. Still pretty fun.
  • edited August 2014

Oh okay. That's cool.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being NFS Underground 2's drift stages and 10 Dirt 3, where are we at physics wise? (10 really should be F1 2014, but that would be crazy.)

Well, the last beta was about a six, maybe a seven, but I didn't drive all the cars, and they've been working on it, so I can't say if the next beta is better or worse.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Ok, Sounds good.
  • I've got three extra keys for The Crew beta. One's going to Victor, so two left. It's on till friday. Who wants one?
  • I wouldn't mind giving it a go if you've got extras.
  • edited August 2014
    Pegu said:

I wouldn't mind giving it a go if you've got extras.

You got it, check your inbox. That leaves me with one left.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Never played a racing MMO before. I want a key. :)
  • I would like to try it out but I'll be busy Wed/Thur/Fri so no go.
  • First impressions: The main character looks like Gordon Freeman, The 30 fps limits sucks balls, the prison/fbi story is dumb and the ability to skip cutscenes only works sometimes.
  • GRID Autosport is super fun.
  • Pegu said:

First impressions: The main character looks like Gordon Freeman, The 30 fps limits sucks balls, the prison/fbi story is dumb and the ability to skip cutscenes only works sometimes.

IIRC, it's only the first set of cutscenes when it's telling you stuff. Everything after you get your actual car is skippable.

• edited August 2014
    Still getting used to the controls. I'm not sure I like shifting using the right stick. I prefer using the bumpers. Game has the option to change it but it's locked for whatever reason. I do like the free roaming and doing the racing events though. I don't like how your NPC buddy pops up every 5 minutes asking you about the race mission. Needs an option to turn that off. I will get to the mission when I'm good and ready, you know.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Oh I forgot to mention, it's retarded that you have to set your own mission waypoints.
  • Pegu said:

Oh I forgot to mention, it's retarded that you have to set your own mission waypoints.

Not usually? I just had it set mine for me just fine. Takes a few seconds to kick in, but it's there.
  • Installing now. I'm curious to see how it stacks up.
  • Also, if you need to find me, it's Churba_inc. Add me, we'll cruise around sometime.
  • edited August 2014
    Pegu said:

First impressions: The main character looks like Gordon Freeman, The 30 fps limits sucks balls, the prison/fbi story is dumb and the ability to skip cutscenes only works sometimes.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Pegu said:

Oh I forgot to mention, it's retarded that you have to set your own mission waypoints.

Also, Yes.

In addition, the physics feels a bit floaty at times. I feel like I'm having a hard time predicting how much grip I'm going to get at any given time and the steering doesn't feel nearly as responsive or precise as it ought to. On the dirt during the intro sequence it felt okay, but the tarmac feels a lot less predictable. I'm finding myself going into a corner at what feels like a reasonable speed, hitting the apex (or as close as you can get to an apex on a street) but then hitting the opposite wall. I'm not understeering, I'm just not turning as much as I'm expecting it to.

I'd understand this if I had picked one of the heavier cars muscle cars from the initial selection, but I picked the 370z specifically because it was the lightest and, so, should have the best cornering. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Dirt and Grid, but it'll take some getting used to.

Unless all of this is fixed by upgrades, which would be balls.
  • edited August 2014
    You're not limited to 30 FPS on PC, and it will launch with 30, 60, and no limit options. Once again, bottom left corner to remind you - it's a beta, doesn't nessissarily represent final gameplay. You can unlock it to 60 in C:\Users\\Documents\The Crew\PCScalability.xml - you can set it to whatever you like, really, but it won't cross 60 in the beta.

RE: physics - I think that's a function of the spec, but I'm not sure. I'm driving a Mustang, an absurdly yellow hot rod(some dude called me out last night with "Yo, American graffiti!" - I'll get some screenshots later, but it's a BRIGHT yellow Deuce coupe/34 ford amalgamation) and a dirt-spec mustang. For no discernible reason, my dirt spec mustang handles just right, but my must faster street-spec hotrod the massive V8 and all the aerodynamics of a brick sticks to the road like shit to a blanket, when it should be stepping out when you step on the throttle.

That said, I seem to have it pretty dialed in - I'm not doing big smoking drifts, but once I found my braking points I was fine getting around corners, winning races by 5-10 seconds. Get tapping that handbrake people.

Also, weird but not big issues - In cutscenes more often than not my car sound doesn't match my car(Tad distracting when a 5L V8 sounds like a Honda Civic), the AI can go a bit nuts, I wish traffic would learn to use their indicators(but I guess that mirrors real life), I could do without watserface trying to tell me to go get repairs when I do anything more than scratching my paint, and yeah holy shit that guy looks like Gordon Freeman.

Edit - Also my hotrod has, for some reason, ten fully functional exhaust pipes. Four zoomies on each side of the bonnet, two trumpets at the back.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2014
    Got to play some more of the Crew tonight. Been cruising around Detroit in my blue Ford Mustang GT. I still don't like how the shifting and the viewing are locked to the right stick. The game will change views when I'm wanting to shift or vice versa. But I'm getting better with it. Best part of the game for me still is just free roaming the city and doing the challenges I come across. The mission nagging NPC's are still annoying. I thought if I did the first couple of missions it would stop with that pop up crap, but nope. Co-op was easy to setup for the missions though and that was fun.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Got to play some more of the Crew tonight. Been cruising around Detroit in my blue Ford Mustang GT. I still don't like how the shifting and the viewing are locked to the right stick. The game will change views when I'm wanting to shift or vice versa. But I'm getting better with it. Best part of the game for me still is just free roaming the city and doing the challenges I come across. The mission nagging NPC's are still annoying. I thought if I did the first couple of missions it would stop with that pop up crap, but nope. Co-op was easy to setup for the missions though and that was fun.

I was actually chasing your icon around town quite a bit yesterday, but for some reason - unless you noticed being stalked by this monstrosity - that it's doing some regional invisibility voodoo unless we crew up.
  • Oh wow I think I would have noticed that beast on the road. I was having serious log in issues last night also that could be why I didn't notice you.