This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is This Hypocritical?

I'm an avid board gamer who loves conflict-oriented games with a dash of theme, but I have little interest in tabletop RPGs. Is it uncommon for a person to be a "board gaming puritan"?

Comments

• Most gamers, even in tabletop, are effectively "nerds" of a very tiny subset of available games. You're the rule, not the exception. ;^)

Very few people are "gamers" in a real sense (in that they play, understand, or care about games in a holistic sense).
  • That's good to know! Ever since I started playing Titan competitively online, I haven't been playing much else. Maybe I should start looking into GMT games like "Twilight Struggle" and "Fire in the Lake".

Nonetheless, I am interested in game design. I have a couple of games in mind and thus far, I already have the rule-set written for a 2-p Living Tile Game, Cyberseed.
  • I'll warn you. Twilight Struggle has an amazing theme, but the game isn't actually fun unless you and your opponent are equally and fully invested in playing repeatedly and memorizing the gist of all the cards.

It falls short of fully realizing its theme. Would be much better as a computer game.
  • edited November 2014
    Don't worry! If I can learn Titan, one of the most impenetrable and noob unfriendly board games (noobs take 9 hours to finish a game whereas more experienced players take 2-3 hours in a 2-p game and 4 hours in multiplayer), I can learn Twilight Struggle. Besides, I like playing games repeatedly and discovering their strategic and tactical nuances. I find that way more fun than screwing around with stupid, "fun" moves.
    Post edited by Hethalos on
  • Twilight Struggle is definitely best if you're committed to mastering it. If you get to the point where long-form bluffing is an effective strategy, you're at that game's shining meat.
  • What's long-form bluffing? Are you sure you didn't mean long-term bluffing?
  • Rym said:

Twilight Struggle is definitely best if you're committed to mastering it. If you get to the point where long-form bluffing is an effective strategy, you're at that game's shining meat.

I'm sure it won't take longer than 200 legit games of Titan. I'm not joking--if you play-to-win 200 games of Titan, you probably won't make it past the qualifier rounds at Titan WBC.

• Hethalos said:

What's long-form bluffing? Are you sure you didn't mean long-term bluffing?

A bluff that involves playing fully committed in a misleading direction. A bluff that requires repeated commitment to the bluff over multiple turns.

A bluff that, if it fails, is a game-loser. ;^)

• I see. That sounds like as if players can start feeling like real-life conniving politicians. I'll definitely have to give this game a go.
  • Twilight Struggle has an official PC version in development.
  • I'm excited for Twilight Struggle when it comes out for electronic devices.