This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Destiny

Comments

• Rym said:

I will never play a loot-driven persistent multiplayer game ever again. Borderlands 1 was enough.

It's variable reinforcement schedule bullshit. Fuck that noise. ;^)

+1

• HMTKSteve said:

The game is very repetitive. Know what else is repetitive? Sex

You're not doing it right.
    HMTKSteve said:

Repetition in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Correct, when there's variety and nuance.

Variety, in strategy. Variety, in competition player skill level (not 'invested time' level), sophisticated AI (not enemies with more HP).

Repetition; practice, experimentation.
  • Dazzle369 said:

HMTKSteve said:

The game is very repetitive. Know what else is repetitive? Sex

You're not doing it right.
    HMTKSteve said:

Repetition in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Correct, when there's variety and nuance.

Variety, in strategy. Variety, in competition player skill level (not 'invested time' level), sophisticated AI (not enemies with more HP).

Repetition; practice, experimentation.
    Are you still talking about sex?
  • paha may..be
  • Noise said:

Blah, blah, blah. My opinions are so vastly superior about a game I decided to not play that I didn't even consider playing in the first place. I have to post these things to solidify my convictions.

Good on you that you chose not to play. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I haven't played this game in probably a month or so now for several reasons:

1) Borderlands Pre-Sequel (Yes, more grindy stuff that I do enjoy and am currently enjoying and don't give a shit what haters say.)
    2) Lack of free time.
    3) I'm not part of a clan in Destiny to do raids or do I care for PvP.

That game scratched an itch. I may go back and play a bit on other classes or when an expansion comes out. I like how vs. most MMOs, you don't have to pay a subscription to play, but only require a PS+ account. I didn't pay for mine, the boyfriend did, and he makes most of it with the free digital games to play when he has time.
    HMTKSteve said:

Repetition in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. The core gunplay of Destiny is very fun. Where everything in the game truly breaks down is the lack of an economy and the complete randomness of loot drops.

I agree with the gunplay as well as random loot drops.
    HMTKSteve said:

If players were able to trade gear with each other the randomness would be tolerable. "You got your third set of raid boots and I have none? Here, I will trade you this raid gun that have received three times."

That's probably not a bad idea because it can only be done with Clan members since there is no type/chat function in game.
    HMTKSteve said:

I believe Destiny lacks a trade system because it has such a small amount of content. Instead I do the weekly raid with my friends and we laugh about how player A has received the raid boots almost every week but never the gloves. We then laugh about how player B keeps getting the raid gloves but not the boots!

I'm ok with this. One of the reasons I was into WoW for such a long time was because of the social element of getting together several times a week with online friends to do something together. Yes, there are other ways that I can achieve this, but we chose WoW.
    HMTKSteve said:

The game is far from perfect but the Iron Banner event pulled me back in because it has a non-random loot system where after earning enough reputation a special vendor will sell me raid level boots and gloves.

It seems this game excels in regards to PvP because you can play others regardless of level, but your weapons can make a difference. I don't know how great the difference is, but we've seen that some of the guns get nerfed in regards to stats. I like the Control Crucible matches eve though I was pretty damn horrible at it.

I didn't even try to watch that video. It's just rantings of some guy that doesn't understand that this game was probably not for him.

I acknowledge what this game is. For people who enjoy the game and say that it's not repetitive, they either fail to see it for what it is or is deluded.

I enjoy seeing how people are trying to exploit the game or create their own challenges within the game such as Jumping the Hellmouth.

• http://www.destinythegame.com/free-trial

In case you wanted to see what all the controversy is without spending money.
  • It's interesting that some games you can pickup, play and continue playing without ever have played a demo or trial.

Some trials or demos can be necessary for other games. Maybe MMOs, which introduce you to the world and systems via tutorials or Free to play segments.

Some games, their demos aren't representative enough of the game, so they hurt the perception of enjoyment. Can't think of an example (haven't demoed anything in a long while).

Having played an amount of Destiny myself, I'm interested to know what opinions people will have after playing this demo. And how it differs from someone who's played portions of the full game.
  • Personally I only played the first two missions in the beta and made my purchase decision based on that. The initial character creation mission is great and the second one is not bad either. The bad taste comes later when you realize every mission after those two is essentially the same.
  • Grind, loot lottery, and required DLC... I'm really glad I didn't bother with Destiny. http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7359911/you-need-to-pay-to-play-this-weeks-heroic-strikes-in-destiny
  • If you're still playing Destiny you'd be a fool to not have the expansion.
  • I will not be playing again until all of the DLC drops. No fun seeing my raid gear outclassed by vendor gear as soon as DLC drops. I'll skip the grind and just buy whatever top gear is when the game is complete.
  • I'm ok with not playing anymore. Perhaps when it's all available, but I got my fun out of it for most part.
  • I stopped and was just waiting for things to change up a bit. I still really like playing the game, but once I sorta hit the goals I was interested in making I put it down and moved on. Beat the raid last weekend and I got the DLC so I'll go back and play some more crucible and do the new content.
  • edited December 2014
    Rym said:

Grind, loot lottery, and required DLC... I'm really glad I didn't bother with Destiny. http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7359911/you-need-to-pay-to-play-this-weeks-heroic-strikes-in-destiny

Says the guy who plays games where the gameplay is hidden grind and non persistent loot lottery (see: Binding of Issac and FTL). :P
    That means those high-level players are locked out of both the heroic and nightfall strikes this week, and the ability to try and level up their characters efficiently.
    This literally doesn't matter since you can buy new gear to get your level up to an appropriate spot. Keen reporting Polygon.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Rym said:

Grind, loot lottery, and required DLC... I'm really glad I didn't bother with Destiny. http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/7359911/you-need-to-pay-to-play-this-weeks-heroic-strikes-in-destiny

Says the guy who plays games where the gameplay is hidden grind and non persistent loot lottery (see: Binding of Issac and FTL). :P

This literally doesn't matter since you can buy new gear to get your level up to an appropriate spot. Keen reporting Polygon.
    Non-persistent loot lottery presents a very different game from a persistent loot lottery, though. In the former, dealing with what you get from the lottery is an important part of the game's challenge, and adds variety between games. In the latter, the only challenge is to keep pulling the loot lever until the thing you want pops out.
  • edited December 2014
    For one, Destiny gives utility to unwanted items, also the challenge doesn't rotate around the loot itself all that much. On top of that most if not all the content can be achieved with zero randomness. The downside to that approach is the time factor, but since I enjoy doing things like playing versus multiplayer, doesn't really bother me none.

Non persistent loot lottery games can completely fuck you over purely based on randomness. It influences the challenge but can also make it pretty much impossible to beat. I would argue the variety starts to limit itself when you need to optimize your strategy to not die.

FTL to me is the epitome of doing things over and over in a boring way. Most of the game is fairly similar to the other pieces. The only difference is the configuration that it comes in. And yes the changing difficulty based what random items are available to me at any point.

I'm mostly pointing out that its different strokes for different folks since he's come in to the thread twice to remind people how he doesn't like attributes of games like Destiny and Borderlands yet still participates in similar gameplay mechanics within games he likes.

EDIT: However I will agree Borderlands is a bad game based on its randomness. Generally because random guns are a bad idea because they generally are not useful and handle like crap.
  • This article purports to help you minimize the grind. In doing so, it explains what's so wrong with Destiny. http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/13/7537389/destiny-guide-loot-least-frustration
  • The best way is to wait until all of the DLC for the game drops. Every time DLC drops the vendors sell gear that is better than the previous raid gear. The vendor Xur will sell upgraded versions of all exotics as well. There is zero reason to play this game until all of the DLC drops because even if you only spend five hours a week the next DLC drop will invalidate all of your hard work.
  • When you think about it, this game blends MMO concepts and FPS shooter concepts so well. It has the hooks (and problems) of an MMO but expects you to play it more like a casual FPS experience. I mean, the game has a lot of boring parts. But the people I find who really hate this game are people who have been putting way more time and effort into it than I have, and yet I'm still keeping up pretty well.

I think the for the casual player this game works perfectly. You don't need to dedicate too much time to it but it keeps providing incentives to spend a couple hours a week with it. It doesn't work well as a game that you just play 60 hours of a week. Considering I find myself mostly only with a few hours a week these days it strangely keeps being the game that I want to play.

It reminds me why games that leave people behind are a shitty idea. I've been playing a bit of Diablo 3 again and I can't play with my buddy who spends way more time playing games than I do because he got WAAAAY ahead of me. Yet in Destiny we can still play together (even if I choose my 29 character). Sure he can't do some of the end game stuff but you can get up to doing that stuff so quickly and on top of that we can always play Crucible or something else. The bounties also give you something to work through even if you are playing with lower level people.

I don't think this game is for everyone, but it works pretty well for how I play games these days.
  • MATATAT said:

When you think about it, this game blends MMO concepts and FPS shooter concepts so well. It has the hooks (and problems) of an MMO but expects you to play it more like a casual FPS experience. I mean, the game has a lot of boring parts. But the people I find who really hate this game are people who have been putting way more time and effort into it than I have, and yet I'm still keeping up pretty well.

I think the for the casual player this game works perfectly. You don't need to dedicate too much time to it but it keeps providing incentives to spend a couple hours a week with it. It doesn't work well as a game that you just play 60 hours of a week. Considering I find myself mostly only with a few hours a week these days it strangely keeps being the game that I want to play.

It reminds me why games that leave people behind are a shitty idea. I've been playing a bit of Diablo 3 again and I can't play with my buddy who spends way more time playing games than I do because he got WAAAAY ahead of me. Yet in Destiny we can still play together (even if I choose my 29 character). Sure he can't do some of the end game stuff but you can get up to doing that stuff so quickly and on top of that we can always play Crucible or something else. The bounties also give you something to work through even if you are playing with lower level people.

I don't think this game is for everyone, but it works pretty well for how I play games these days.

For Diablo 3 just find an actual person you know and only play it with them.
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah I mean me and my buddy played local coop through most of the story and since he doesn't have a PS4 (and I only played it when he was over) it worked out pretty well. But I remember with Borderlands and whatnot I had a similar problem where I wasn't playing that game as much as others and there was a point where I just had to play by myself to catch up or stop playing and I just chose to stop playing.

On top of that playing a bit with my other friend in Diablo has made me much stronger than the guy who I was playing local coop with. I mean, not a big deal since we probably won't play anymore locally but it could be if we were still going at it. Then I need multiple characters to keep with everyone's progress and I really just don't give a shit about doing that.

The point is that for how level focused Destiny is that never really seems to be an issue which I think is pretty admirable.
  • post approval? *waht*
  • BTW, my PSN name is GTMacRoss.
    look me up.
  • Whelp, recent events are panning out the way I expected them to re: this game.

Dodged a bullet, skipping this one. ;^)
  • Again, a game you can judge by it's trailer.

I think what people wanted Destiny to be was something more GTA-like, just skinned with a space theme. Open world exploration with a host of things to do.

But no, just shoot stuff.
  • I had fun with my time playing the game, but I bought the "season pass" and haven't gone back since the new expansion came out like a week or two ago.
  • Destiny is going into a money demanding spiral, screwing early adopters and relying on DLC squirts.
    I'm not spending another cent on it. I'm done.
  • Destiny is going into a money demanding spiral, screwing early adopters and relying on DLC squirts.
    I'm not spending another cent on it. I'm done.

Why did you start when you knew that's what it was from the very beginning?