This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

You know what really grinds my gears?

2»

Comments

• Amp said:

Also coffee snobs who don't understand coffee.

I know. What's with all these plebs not snorting grounds?
  • Amp said:

Also X snobs who don't understand X.

It's not just the coffee people.
  • "Audiophiles" who don't understand audio.
  • "Audiophiles" who don't understand audio.

Sounds redundant.
  • In modern usage, yes, but I feel that "audiophile" should be taken back by people like me.
  • Greg said:

Amp said:

Also coffee snobs who don't understand coffee.

I know. What's with all these plebs not snorting grounds?
    My ire comes due to me working in a coffee shop. The amount of asinine and stupid orders we get is a pain in the arse.
  • Amp said:

My ire comes due to me working in a coffee shop. The amount of asinine and stupid orders we get is a pain in the arse.

Instead of being annoyed you should just talk about what equipment you use on your coffee beans. You could call it, "What gears my grinds".
  • People who claim a game has more depth than it really has. Also, people who think that deterministic games automatically have more skill than stochastic games.
  • There is no skill in being lucky.

• Amp said:

Instead of being annoyed you should just talk about what equipment you use on your coffee beans. You could call it, "What gears my grinds".
    I regret that it took me so long to see this, Ill tell my old boss its the best idea.
  • Andrew said:

There is no skill in being lucky.

There is also no skill in not being lucky.
  • edited February 2015
    Andrew said:

Yes but for every high-skill deterministic game like chess there's also a low-skill deterministic game like tic-tac-toe.

Actually, you could argue that there's very little skill in most deterministic games because the way to win is just to memorize an optimal strategy. Cf. The Player of Games.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yes but for every high-skill deterministic game like chess there's also a low-skill deterministic game like tic-tac-toe.

Actually, you could argue that there's very little skill in most deterministic games because the way to win is just to memorize an optimal strategy. Cf. The Player of Games.

Don't conflate skill with quality or simplicity.

• Unfortunately, in most

Andrew said:

Yes but for every high-skill deterministic game like chess there's also a low-skill deterministic game like tic-tac-toe.

It's also important to note that games that are mostly deterministic can be more prone to having more false choices or generally superior builds which can lead to games with similar archetypal patterns (i.e. early game is almost always about getting buildings X and Y and trying to do your first Z, mid game is almost always about converting money into points while having enough for late-game scorers, and end game is almost always about dumping as much money as possible into VPs). Of course, there are stochastic games which are really just "decks of arithmetic flash cards"; the challenges may be randomized each game, but the solution is easily derived as soon as the problem is encountered.

For example, in Puerto Rico, experts often aim for the factory because it mitigates craftsman fear substantially. And, there are plenty of buildings that have a poor cost-benefit ratio.