This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aeron Chair

edited November 2007 in GeekNights
I can't believe that two 20-somethings bought a chair like this for their residence. I guess P.T. Barnum was right. You mean to tell me that you couldn't find a comfortable chair for a fraction of the price? Or are you guys so fragile that you make the "Princess and the Pea" look tame?

For guys who usually have a good attitude about unnecessary consumerism, you fell right into a trap here.

Comments

• I believe Scott got this one. I'm in agreement with the general pussification of both of them.
  • Wow, a computer chair that costs more than my computer. It doesn't look like much. Does it feel like you're in Sangria-La when you sit in it?
  • edited November 2007
    It is a huge scam, but it's inescapable for anyone who sits at a desk for long periods of time. Basically, companies like Humanscale and Herman Miller make the only computer chairs with a damn. Sure, at Staples you can find office chairs for $100 or so, but they are all shit. I've had a Staples chair since 1999. It was never perfectly comfortable. The cushions wore out. One of the adjustment levers is not fully functioning. It's a POS.

At work I also have a sub-standard office chair. It's also a piece of shit. If I sit up, the back of the chair exerts no pressure on my back. As I lean back, the back of the chair leans away from my back. Unless I fully recline the chair, the backrest might as well not even be there. Thus, I end up hooking the arm rest over the top of my desk to lock the chair into a full recline. Oh, and don't get me started about those arm rests, they are entirely useless. I end up putting my arms on my desk.

There is a racket going on where a few companies have designed and patented task chairs that actually do not suck. They are actually extremely comfortable in a variety of positions for a very long period of time. I have a very hard time sleeping while in any position other than prone, but I could probably comfortably sleep in the Freedom chair.

These companies probably make tons of these chairs, so supply is no problem. However, there are very few retail outlets selling these things. Also, because the lifetime warranties are non-transferable, the used chair market is not so hot. Also, as time goes on, demand for these chairs continues to rise. More people are working more jobs where they have to sit at a desk for hours on end. Thus, due to the small number of retail venues, the prices on these chairs is actually going up. The original Aeron chair sold for like, $600-$800. Now it sells for almost $1000.

To summarize. There are very few office chairs that do not suck. Until you sit in these at a computer for 4 hours, you won't really know the difference. There is somewhat of a racket going on that keeps the prices on these chairs ludicrously high. However, the chairs are as high quality as their price demands. The chair I just canned lasted not even a decade. These chairs last forever. The cushions might wear out in 25 years, but they are individually replaceable. For a piece of furniture I use more than any other it's worth it to pay for the best. Every day I delay the purchase means the price will increase and that will be one more day of my life I sit uncomfortably.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Personally, I've gotten to the point in my life where I will no longer settle for sub-optimal solutions.  If I have a need, I'm either going to get the bare minimum necessary to meet that need, or I'm going to get that which perfectly, completely, and optimally fulfills what I want.  If I cannot afford the latter, I'm not going to go halfway.
    Now, "afford" means something very specific to me.  It means opportunity cost.  If the opportunity cost of something optimal is affordable, I will pay it.  In the case of the Aeron chair, the opportunity cost was insignificant.
    The new chair solves several problems and inconveniences I've previously had to just deal with.  For one, it comfortably allows me to switch between a forward-tilted position (useful for speaking into a microphone), a seated position (typing and computer work), and a reclined position (reading), far better than any other office chair I've ever used. 
    Second, it's made of a mesh.  I tend to get hot and/or sweat when doing the show or playing FPSs (my body temperature rises whenever I'm engaged in anything, even German board games).  The mesh is MUCH more comfortable in this situation than any other possible surface.  It keeps me cool and allows my posterier to breath.  There are indeed other products that have a similar mesh, but these are very poor, and tend to deform rapidly in actual use.
    Third, this chair has a stupidly long warranty covering all parts and labour.  It's expected to last at minimum 15 years in original working condition.  My previous chair, despite being a rather nice $400 one, started to fall apart in five and actually broke at seven.  I've now opted for a durable and likely more cost effective (in the long run) solution.
    Fourth, the chair is VERY comfortable.  Well worth the small opportunity cost.
  • No offense, but you guys sound like old ladies.

I'm glad you found a comfortable chair, but you can't tell me that there aren't tons of comfortable chairs for less money.
  • edited November 2007
    No offense, but you guys sound like old ladies.

I'm glad you found a comfortable chair, but you can't tell me that there aren't tons of comfortable chairs for less money.
    Show me one.

EDIT: Here are the Top 10 Task Chairs at Staples. I've sat in most of these. They are all shit. Worse than my current crap chair at work.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm glad you found a comfortable chair, but you can't tell me that there aren't tons of comfortable chairs for less money.I tried every chair there, not to mention hundreds at other stores over the years.  I've never sat in one that even came close.
    To be sure, there were a number of much-more-expensive options that weren't as comfortable either.
  • To be sure, there were a number of much-more-expensive options that weren't as comfortable either.
    This is too true. Those gigantic cushy executive leather chairs are crazy uncomfortable. I just don't understand them at all. Also, FYI, it is possible to custom build the chairs we have bought. If you want leather and other crazy features, the price can get much higher than what we paid. The only extra features I have are the headrest, the advanced gel armrests, and the gel seat. MSRP for that is $1390. I paid about $1075, so I think that's a pretty good deal.
  • edited November 2007
    You are missing a major point: Are you so wussified that you need to be surrounded with gel armrests, etc? I've sat in the same office chair for years. I'm sure it was a quarter the price. And guess what... it's perfectly comfortable. Maybe your chairs are slightly more comfortable, but if I ever get to a point in life when I need to spend $1,100 because I'm not satisfied with a perfectly comfortable $300 chair, just shoot me.

I love you guys, but hearing you talk like old ladies on this issue is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Have you yet sat inan Aeron chair?
  • I have. It's a comfortable chair. IMHO, though, not worth anywhere near the asking price.
  • You guys are making to much of a big deal about chairs, just like Scott was making a fuzz about achievements :P
  • Well, maybe we should stop for Scott was utterly wrong.
  • I think that's what set me off. Last night's episode was rough. Between the chair talk and the rant that went on for way too long, my ears had had enough.
  • I recall the Aeron chair being used as a poster boy for overspending by dot com companies. In fact, the opposite is true.

At my work we buy several new chairs every year for about $200 a chair. Because Aeron chairs have a lifetime warranty on them you need never buy a chair to replace it. In the end it is better to spend the extra money on a chair that lasts forever than one that will break in a year or two.
  • Do chairs really break that often for people? Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • Do chairs really break that often for people? Maybe I'm just lucky.
    When I get home I will post pictures of our old chairs and our new chairs.
  • When I was working on my own, I bought a leather office chair for about $500.00 that was brilliant. I was often hard put not to nod off in it, because it was so comfortable.

We all had Aeron Chairs on one of my stupid document reviews. They were okay, but just okay. No way were they worth more than $300.00 - at least to me.
  • When I was working on my own, I bought a leather office chair for about $500.00 that was brilliant. I was often hard put not to nod off in it, because it wassocomfortable.

We all had Aeron Chairs on one of my stupid document reviews. They were okay, butjustokay. No way were they worth more than $300.00 - at least to me.
    Some peoples like the cushy softness. Other people like the firm supportness.
  • We all had Aeron Chairs on one of my stupid document reviews.
    Did they have the old lumbar support, or the new "PostureFit" thingie?  The latter makes a world of difference.
  • We all had Aeron Chairs on one of my stupid document reviews.

Did they have the old lumbar support, or the new "PostureFit" thingie? The latter makes a world of difference.

Also, did you calibrate the chair properly? The Aeron takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it to work properly. If you set it right, you should feel like you are "floating on air", hence the name. This is why the Freedom chair is the major competitor, you just sit and it works.
  • edited November 2007
    I have to say, I'm sitting in one of the newer Aeron chairs with a lumbar support, and it's a damn good chair, I have to agree.

I sort of see Kilarney's point, though; the Aeron chair is essentially, on a comfort scale of 0 - 100 (100 being the highest), a 100. The cost is also exorbitant; my particular chair has the gel armrests and a bunch of other shit, costing somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000. Granted, New York state taxes paid for it, but still, for a guy that sits at his desk for 30 minutes a day TOTAL most days, I don't see how that cost is worth it. The real question is, for the consumer, whether or not 100 comfort is worth an exorbitant price. If you're perfectly fine with 90 comfort, and 90 comfort is 1/4th the price of 100 comfort, do you really need to pay for 100 comfort? How much are you going to be sitting on your ass in a day?

There's no denying that the Aeron is a superior chair; the question is whether or not the diminishing return of the cost is really worth it. If I had a couple of grand spare to just drop on a chair, I'd probably do it; if not, I can live with a good $300 office chair.

EDIT: OK, so it really only cost $1311, according to the Herman Miller pricing guide. Still, that's a hell of an expensive chair.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Funny how the guy who never uses his chair has the $2000 one and the guys in the cubicles who sit all day get the $100 chair.
  • I have to say, I'm sitting in one of the newer Aeron chairs with a lumbar supportThat's the busted old Aeron. The new one is much better. ^_~
    If you're perfectly fine with 90 comfort, and 90 comfort is 1/4th the price of 100 comfort, do you really need to pay for 100 comfort?Thing is, normal office chairs are more like a 60 or, at best, 70 comfort as far as I would rate them.
  • The only difference is the Posture Fit thing, right? I couldn't find anything else in their product info that's different than my chair, aside from the lack of Posture Fit. My chair can fit a Posture Fit thingy, but the lab didn't splurge on it. I suppose I could order it separately if I really cared, but then again, I'm only sitting at my desk for half an hour to an hour on most days.

Steve: Yeah, I know. That's government for ya.

The real reason we got Aeron chairs is because we needed to have comfortable office chairs that we could get nonupholstered. Fabric-covered chairs + microbiology laboratory = bad.

In any event, I do agree that most office chairs are shit. The real test of a chair, I find, comes with prolonged sitting. Most chairs are fine to sit in for an hour or two. Past that, I can see where you'd get into the more expensive ranges. Of course, I try not to be sitting for that long in a day; it's really really bad for you.
  • The only difference is the Posture Fit thing, right? I couldn't find anything else in their product info that's different than my chair, aside from the lack of Posture Fit. My chair can fit a Posture Fit thingy, but the lab didn't splurge on it. I suppose I could order it separately if I really cared, but then again, I'm only sitting at my desk for half an hour to an hour on most days.
    Well, I wouldn't be too sure of that. At the old middle of nowhere job that I quit, I had an aeron chair. However, Rym's chair has many more features than those. It is significantly superior, and just from sitting in it for a moment, I can say it is significantly more comfortable. The Aeron chair has been around a long time, and seen many revisions. More recent revisions are significantly superior to the older ones.
  • Here's my old chair.
    My old chair
    Here's my new chair.
    Freedom
    Here's Rym's old chair.
    Rym's old chairRym's old chair revealed!
    Here's Rym's new chair
    Rym's new chair

And here's a special treat. This is our new vinyl banner. Look for it at a geeky convention near you.
    GeekNights Banner
  • edited November 2007
    DO NOT WANT.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I got my chair at Staples :

I like enough that I think I will not change it for at least another 5-7 years :P
    Also Rym what happened do to the back of your chair?
  • I got my chair atStaples:

imageI like enough that I think I will not change it for at least another 5-7 years :PAlso Rym what happened do to the back of your chair?
    Something that can not happen to his new chair.