This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

Comments

• A very interesting phone video I found, really caught my eye and may even consider it for christmas. Very Handsome
  • Andrew said:

Note 4, it comes with a handy carrying case

Samsung Gear VR is ~$200 on top of whatever the Note 4 costs. All you need is one of these to go with it http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/smartphone-accessories/EI-GP20HNBEGWW
  • So I threw my SIM back in my N4 and so far the battery life is exceptional. Really really want lollipop on my Moto X.
  • Lollipop dumped gallery and now everything is under photos. Auto back up will also backup downloaded videos and images.
  • So much for the Sony Z3 Compact. Sony leaks show that the entire line is a dead end now.
  • Rym said:

So much for the Sony Z3 Compact. Sony leaks show that the entire line is a dead end now.

That's unlucky, I don't understand the rationale for companies to poor money into making bad skins with great hardware. If that thing was released with stock Android Sony wouldn't even have to worry about updates, they would be pushed over by Google.

There are only two usable skins for Android in my opinion which are HTC and Motorola ones. I got the Lollipop upgrade recently and the phone's battery lasts for longer yet it feels snappier, even the animated background seems to have a smoother animation.
  • The lollipop upgrade for my Samsung S5 feels shittier. Kitkat performed much better.

Apps are slow or freeze, battery drains faster. Fuqn fuq q Samsung and your BS bullshit.
  • So I threw my SIM back in my N4 and so far the battery life is exceptional. Really really want lollipop on my Moto X.

Lollipop actually destroyed the battery life in my 2nd gen Moto X. Supposedly all of this will be resolved in 5.0.2, which is rolling out now.

• Matt said:

So I threw my SIM back in my N4 and so far the battery life is exceptional. Really really want lollipop on my Moto X.

Lollipop actually destroyed the battery life in my 2nd gen Moto X. Supposedly all of this will be resolved in 5.0.2, which is rolling out now.

The irony?

The "Major project" for Lollipop was "Project Volta", an effort to increase the average battery life of Android handsets.
  • Yeah but supposedly the default encryption in Lollipop is what hurts the performance and battery life in a lot of phones.
  • I just want to know why chrome keeps crashing in lollipop.
  • My HTC actually got better with Lollipop, it some how lasts longer than before and I can't get the sound bugs to make it crash, I guess it was worth waiting for HTC to fix up the bugs and since the Sense skin had may things copied from it to Lollipop, the HTC developers knew what they were dealing with. They were also transparent about the release date and when they fucked it up.

I will most likely skip this year's phones as well. The original HTC One M7 was worth buying on release it looks like it's going to last around 3 years and keeps getting better software with all the updates.
  • So it has come to this.

5.1 dropped on my Nexus 4. It fixed a few 5.0 issues and was otherwise completely rock solid.

But, the screen on the Nexus 4 literally exploded in my pocket. The phone is dead. That which was foretold has come to pass. I must now actually acquire a new phone.

So far, the contenders are.

1. Used Nexus 5 with Android 5.1
    2. Z3 Compact with Android 5.0
    3. a bitter and phoneless life until September...

I'm holding out hope that September is when real phones will appear again. But I could just double down now and be done with it. The Z3 will probably never get another Android update after 5.0. But the Nexus 5 is essentially the same phone I have now, but with 4G.

The reality of the lollipop drops have shown that if you don't have a Nexus, you get completely fucked. But, the Nexus 6 is literally not an option due to its extreme size.
  • I've got Lolipop on my Galaxy Note 4 and it's rock solid. Obviously, though, it's too much phone for you. Go for the Nexus 5.
  • Go for Nexus 5. I had no issues with it being bought on the google store, no bloatware to speak of.
  • There's also the oneplus, now that it doesn't need an invite. :)
  • Used Nexus 5.
    Rym said:

The reality of the lollipop drops have shown that if you don't have a Nexus, you get completely fucked. But, the Nexus 6 is literally not an option due to its extreme size.

Only applies to US carrier branded phones as each carrier's phone is treated like a different SKU.

HTC and Sony update their phones for 3 generations. My HTC One M7 (purchased outright in February 2013) got 5.0 30 days after the Nexus drop and will get 5.1 as its final update.

Samsung updates regularly but I have no idea how they got less battery with Lollipop.
  • I just went through this too and chose the used new Nexus 5 option. It's not significantly bigger than the 4, it's a lot faster, and 4G is niiiice. And since I bought it Japan, it has more emoji than I thought was possible.
  • edited April 2015
    Get old used iPhone. Then get new iPhone later. No more worrying about if you will or won't get os updates. You always get them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Get old used iPhone. Then get new iPhone later. No more worrying about if you will or won't get os updates. You always get them.

No then you just have to worry about whether or not the update will just slow your phone to a crawl.
  • Apreche said:

No then you just have to worry about whether or not the update will just slow your phone to a crawl.
    I've never experienced this. But as we all know, I apparently have "the touch" where all my technology works as intended.
  • I'd never experienced that during my iPhone days, but there was that one time my iPad 2 did get completely wiped simply by installing iOS 8
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

I've never experienced this. But as we all know, I apparently have "the touch" where all my technology works as intended.
    I seem to remember there being some sort of civil suit against Apple for this.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

I seem to remember there being some sort of civil suit against Apple for this.
    When you're the biggest company in the world people are going to try to get your moneys. Why don't you file some civil suits against the other phone manufacturers for fucking up the software and not giving stock Android with constant updates?
  • I just upgraded from a 4S to a 6. It's a pretty huge jump in terms of speed increase.

For the built-in iOS stuff, I didn't notice any slowdown with updates. What DID slow down were the third party apps. These seemed to be updated with versions designed for the 6, 6plus, 5S and 5, with just a "Does even work on the last officially supported device? The 4S? Yes? Ship it!"
  • I just upgraded from a 4S to a 6. It's a pretty huge jump in terms of speed increase.

For the built-in iOS stuff, I didn't notice any slowdown with updates. What DID slow down were the third party apps. These seemed to be updated with versions designed for the 6, 6plus, 5S and 5, with just a "Does even work on the last officially supported device? The 4S? Yes? Ship it!"

This is absolutely true. We have all kinds of phones and tablets that we test our web sites and apps on. We mainly target the newest devices and OS versions. We only check the older versions to make sure things aren't completely broken. We just don't have the resources to do otherwise.