This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - What Phone Should Rym Buy?

Comments

• Android 4.4.4 feels pretty derpy after going back from 5.1.
  • edited April 2015
    Aw hell no. Show's over. :)

I do find the communication gap frustrating here, but it's a young community relative to what I'm used to. I figure that's what it is. I'm sure others have other ideas, which doesn't keep me up nights. :)

Android 4.4.4 feels pretty derpy after going back from 5.1.

I don't doubt it at all, but I've never been in a position where I've tried the new release and then been frustrated that my device didn't have it yet. I assume AT&T hasn't pushed this yet because my Galaxy Tab 4 hasn't got it. I probably shouldn't have bothered getting one with 4G capability but it was cheap both for the hardware and the plan and I fell for it. In retrospect I should have gotten a WiFi one which I assume is user-upgradeable in a way the carrier-linked ones aren't?
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I can now provide one fairly compelling argument for getting a Nexus 6: it's currently the only cell phone that will work with Google's Project Fi.
  • Apreche said:

Someone who is the greatest video game player of all time has none of the qualifications required to make video games. They have practiced clicking on heads. They haven't practiced programming, designing, 3D modeling, etc.

I think this is a strawman. I'm talking about game design, not all the implementation details of a modern multiplayer FPS.
    It's not impossible for a user to have good ideas, but since they have no qualifications they are safe to ignore. There are very few, if any, examples in history where a user or consumer made a great contribution as a producer unless they have also separately practiced those other skills. I can't think of even one.
    I'm not talking about just any old videogamer, I mean professionals on the top teams in the world. I dunno, maybe like the 100 best CS players in the world?

Surely you agree that e.g. Michael Schumacher has some ideas about what makes a good F1 track.
  • Who gets popcorn after the movie is over?
  • edited April 2015
    muppet said:

I'm just saying, I'm not mad. There seems to be some sort of perception on MATATAT's and Rochelle's parts that I'm agitated about this. Maybe on Scott's, too. I'm just discussing the relative merits of two mobile phone platforms. I'm not the one who's getting angry about it. :) On my part, there's nothing to "let go". It's just a non-sequitur from my perspective and I had no idea anybody was upset until those posts.

Confused, but not mad. Yo.

I don't think you're agitated or upset, but I said that because you're saying from your perspective that there is a clear distinction between installed apps and icons on the home screen. But my argument is that not everyone realizes this because people, including your grandpa with your example, assume that if an icon is gone then the app is gone (uninstalled) in most OS environments. I'm saying that this is never an issue in the iOS design, even if I'm not an expert in UI design that's a pretty clear thing to see. So discounting my anecdote with an anecdote of your own that itself validates my position but saying your right is where I think you need to get over yourself.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:
    I have had mine for over 2 years and the only repair I did was change the battery.
  • Rym said:
    I saw the link and thought that was an article about how the new Nexus will be even larger. :P
  • Rym said:
    I saw the link and thought that was an article about how the new Nexus will be even larger. :P
    Once the battery deforms, it will be. ;^)

• Rym said:

Rym said:
    Once the battery deforms, it will be. ;^)
    I heard a rumor the new Nexus will be a LG again. I'm buying that, whatever it looks like.
  • LarGe
  • Rym said:

LarGe

Don't care, all in!
  • Rym said:

LarGe

Don't care, all in!
    George's new phone.

• The tiny difference in size between the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 is noticeable...

The 5 doesn't fit into my jogging gear anymore. The 4 fit just fine.
  • 5.1 just made it to my Z3c. Still good, right? :-p
  • Current roundup.

124 x 63.0 x 11 mm Nexus S (obsolete)
    127 x 65.0 x 8.9 mm Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
    134 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm Nexus 4
    138 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm iPhone 6s
    138 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm Nexus 5
    147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm Nexus 5X
    159 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm Nexus 6P

The Z5 compact comes with Android 5.1.1, and is in the same size class as the Nexus S (perfect fucking form factor).

The Nexus 5X comes with Android 6 ootb. But it's a fucking monster. The iPhone 6s is smaller.
  • edited October 2015
    I hate the obsession with "thin". The edges of my giant N6 are so thin it's hard to hold without a case. How is the iPhone 6S improved by making it 2 mm thinner than the 4S? Who honestly needs a phone thinner than 10mm?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The Nexus 5X didn't look that big until I scrolled down to some picture of this guy with giant hands and even in his giant hands it looked giant.
  • I hate the obsession with "thin". The edges of my giant N6 are so thin it's hard to hold without a case.

The problem is that some amounts of thinness don't matter. iPhone 6 is technically thinner than the iPhone5, but that difference matters never.

What I want is a phone so thin I can roll it and fold it like a piece of paper. THAT will be the day.
  • Apreche said:

I hate the obsession with "thin". The edges of my giant N6 are so thin it's hard to hold without a case.

The problem is that some amounts of thinness don't matter. iPhone 6 is technically thinner than the iPhone5, but that difference matters never.
    Yes, but they talk about every damn time they make a new one so clearly it's a design goal. It's fucking obnoxious. Stupid people going "oooooo thinner" and no one notices it's harder to use because of it.
  • The Nexus S was so small in its day because it was so thick.
  • Basically the Sony Compacts remain the best Android phone as far as size is concerned, but the fact that software updates are a total crapshoot remains a big turn off.
  • iPhone always gets all the updates always.
  • Apreche said:

iPhone always gets all the updates always.

Yes, but even they are fat now.
  • Basically the Sony Compacts remain the best Android phone as far as size is concerned, but the fact that software updates are a total crapshoot remains a big turn off.

Since the Z3c did get updated, I'll bet the Z5c will get 6.0 at some point.

Of course, so will my cracked Nexus 5 I'll wager.
  • Apreche said:

iPhone always gets all the updates always.

I was gonna say there is a lot of hemming and hawing when there is a very simple solution to all of this.
  • Got a Galaxy Note 5 and loving it. You small phone people make no sense to me.