This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• On an unrelated topic, how is the quality of goat and lamb meat in the US and is it as easy to source as beef?
    I guess I would have to ask Churba what the difference in taste there is between Australian and lamb and US lamb (if any).
  • Lamb in the US is often mutton. I personally like it a lot, but my girlfriend really dislikes it.
  • The few times I have seen lamb or goat on a menu it was always mixed with beef. While I have a mammalian allergy I have found that the redder the meat the worse the reaction. As such I can eat some pork with only a minor reaction while beef constricts my breathing. Lamb/goat is not as red as beef so I can enjoy it in moderation with only minimal distress afterwards... Unless they ruin it by mixing it with beef. Which is what every place I go to that offers gyros does.
  • Well, a lot of the lamb I buy in the US is Australian-sourced, so I don't have a good reference point for differences.

Age and raising conditions tend to affect the flavor more than source, I think. Local pasture-raised lamb has more the "lamby" flavor than a lot of larger-scale lamb raising operations.

That can be good or bad, depending on your lamb preferences.
  • edited March 2015

Well, a lot of the lamb I buy in the US is Australian-sourced, so I don't have a good reference point for differences.

(Runner up - Richie Benaud is apparently a fucking timelord.)

Post edited by Churba on
  • Andrew said:

Allergic to chicken.

You are allergic to chicken AND pork?

Holy shit, what gods did you piss off?

It's actually all poultry. Chicken is what appeared on the skin panel test, but completely unscientific testing has shown me that duck and turkey also make me react.

Still got beer.

But you made Rooster Ale! ...allergies are crazy.
  • Well, a lot of the lamb I buy in the US is Australian-sourced, so I don't have a good reference point for differences.

Age and raising conditions tend to affect the flavor more than source, I think. Local pasture-raised lamb has more the "lamby" flavor than a lot of larger-scale lamb raising operations.

That can be good or bad, depending on your lamb preferences.

Yeah I'm pretty well versed with the Australian system I lived on a sheep farm for a month, visited other ones for flock health and also how they are treated at the abattoir from truck to packaging. Most of my Sheep exam was understanding how different grains grasses and stress affected the quality and prices of the meat.

Cool I didn't know we were competitive in the US with lamb as most of my family over there don't have it nearly as much as we do (likely due to it being imported).
  • The only times I've had sheep or goat in the US was with rich Arabic people, which means they had an animal sent to the halal butcher and made into meat.
  • Ruffas said:

The only times I've had sheep or goat in the US was with rich Arabic people, which means they had an animal sent to the halal butcher and made into meat.

Many Australians don't know this but all their meat is actually Halal because it is humane and allows the meat to be exported as well as sold in domestic markets (except Jewish ones I guess).

We don't have very good goat farming when compared to the lamb industry.
  • sK0pe said:

Ruffas said:

The only times I've had sheep or goat in the US was with rich Arabic people, which means they had an animal sent to the halal butcher and made into meat.

Many Australians don't know this but all their meat is actually Halal because it is humane and allows the meat to be exported as well as sold in domestic markets (except Jewish ones I guess).
    Propably a good thing, considering how many assholes will throw a fucking fit over things that are already halal being labeled as such. See: Vegemite.
  • To be clear, these were animals that I met personally and went on to meat again a few days later. And this was a butcher I knew well since I lived across the street from them. These animals were butchered in accordance to whatever rules they adhered too, but MY where they tasty.
  • Made a delicious veggie pizza for dinner.

Toppings: Chinese eggplant, bell peppers, spinach, green onions, garlic powder.

I'm definitely saving this recipe for the future.
  • I've been on a flatbread kick recently (moving towards making krotekaker/hardangerlefse, a traditional Norwegian flatbread), and I rather enjoy taking an already-prepared flatbread, adding some cheese and tomato, and making an ad-hoc pizza. Good times.
  • edited April 2015
    So you remember how Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs are a life-altering experience?

He did an AmA that was pretty excellent, and someone asked him what he ate for breakfast. Oatmeal, apparently.

This is Gordon Ramsay oatmeal:
    The night before, put 3-4 bananas in the oven on a pilot light. And the next day, squeeze the bananas into almond milk, bring it to a boil, then add the oatmeal and dried cranberries, and you'll have the most amazing oatmeal for breakfast.
    He's right. Do it. It's amazing.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • How do you set the oven on a pilot light?
  • Apreche said:

How do you set the oven on a pilot light?

You have to have a gas oven...

So for the rest of us with electric ovens, how do we do this?
  • Apreche said:

I have a gas oven. How do I turn just the pilot light on?
  • The other option is to let them get extremely ripe (like banana bread ripe), freeze them, and then mush them into the almond milk.

You could turn your electric oven on its lowest setting, let it heat up, turn it off, and stick the bananas in there. The mild heat is there to speed the ripening process.

If you have a gas oven with electric ignition, you will not be able to turn just the pilot light on.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

-_- Do you know what a pilot light does?
  • edited April 2015

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

-_- Do you know what a pilot light does?
    Yes, it's a tiny flame that is always on so that when you want to actually start cooking and release the gas, it ignites.

I have never in my life seen an oven that uses one. My oven has electronic ignition. Click click click.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You can set my gas oven on "warm." This has entirely different behavior from cooking settings. I've never used it.
  • I would think microwaving the bananas for a minute or so would produce the same effect.
  • I enjoy oatmeal cold. Try this:

Use steel cut oatmeal, made to directions on container. Chop a heap of mixed nuts and dried fruit. Dates and almonds are key. Add fruit/nut mixture and a generous serving of your choice of milk to the oats and stir. Refrigerate covered overnight so the oats absorb flavor from the nuts and fruit and become creamy from saturating in the milk.

In the morning, remove covering, pour on more of your choice of milk, add a drizzle of honey, a grated apple, and a mashed banana. It is the cereal of the gods.
  • Use steel cut oatmeal, made to directions on container. Chop a heap of mixed nuts and dried fruit. Dates and almonds are key. Add fruit/nut mixture and a generous serving of your choice of milk to the oats and stir. Refrigerate covered overnight so the oats absorb flavor from the nuts and fruit and become creamy from saturating in the milk.

In the morning, remove covering, pour on more of your choice of milk, add a drizzle of honey, a grated apple, and a mashed banana. It is the cereal of the gods.

Alternately, try yogurt instead of milk. A restaurant near me sells it for breakfast.
  • Daikun said:

Use steel cut oatmeal, made to directions on container. Chop a heap of mixed nuts and dried fruit. Dates and almonds are key. Add fruit/nut mixture and a generous serving of your choice of milk to the oats and stir. Refrigerate covered overnight so the oats absorb flavor from the nuts and fruit and become creamy from saturating in the milk.

Alternately, try yogurt instead of milk. A restaurant near me sells it for breakfast.
    Alternatively make out of rolled oats in a saucepan 1:3 ratio with water, bring to a boil and then leave on low while stirring constantly for 12 - 15 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of honey for each serving then -
    • Add hot / drinking chocolate to turn it into chocolate porridge
    • Serve and sprinkle over brown sugar, let it caramelise
    • Mash a small banana with desiccated coconut, cinnamon and black poppy seeds
    Or you can do what I did this morning and add freshly made guava jam (because Mum has an excess of guavas for some reason).
  • I made my very first dump cake today.

I made it with peaches and walnuts. Damn, it's tasty!
  • edited May 2015
    Andrew said:

Dump Cakes commercial

Fuck that stupid-ass book. It was written by hacks. Mike Jeavons completely tore it to shreds.

I used a classic family recipe. It's the real deal, bro.

EDIT: Also...

Post edited by Daikun on
  • Daikun said:

Andrew said:

Dump Cakes commercial

Fuck that stupid-ass book. It was written by hacks. Mike Jeavons completely tore it to shreds.

While I'm not doubting that the Dump Cakes that lady is selling are probably not good, this person Mike Jeavons did not "tear it to shreds." Not only did he not actually follow the recipe in the cook book in question, he heavily diverged from the instructions presented in the infomercial. Wrong sized pan, wrong cake mix, wrong soda, canned fruit instead of frozen. His experiment is not a sound base for any judgement.
  • edited May 2015
    Apreche said:

While I'm not doubting that the Dump Cakes that lady is selling are probably not good, this person Mike Jeavons did not "tear it to shreds." Not only did he not actually follow the recipe in the cook book in question, he heavily diverged from the instructions presented in the infomercial. Wrong sized pan, wrong cake mix, wrong soda, canned fruit instead of frozen. His experiment is not a sound base for any judgement.

Most of the recipes in that book aren't even dump cakes. That's the big issue. The point of a dump cake is that you dump and bake. Mixing shouldn't be involved, and that's what nearly all the recipes in the book call for.
    Post edited by Daikun on