This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I must admit, I find it hilarious that anyone would deliberately call something a dump cake. Not to mention that most of the recipes are repugnant.
  • I had never heard of a "dump cake" before now.
  • edited May 2015
    Kinda want some dump cake, not going to lie... *on a diet currently so everything looks good*
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Rym said:

I had never heard of a "dump cake" before now.

I think it's a midwestern thing? I'm only familiar with it through the aforementioned infomercial.
  • edited May 2015
    I mean, really though, what's the point of a dumpcake? Are you so desperate to shove refined carbs into your cakehole that you can't be bothered to mix the ingredients together? You just want to bake up a pile of shit and eat it with a spoon?

Christ, why not just cut out the middle man and smear sugar and butter on some fruit?

EDIT: Man, that came off pretty elitist.

Good.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Sees a future in 10 years from now Pete surrounded by a horde of hungry little kids, makes a dumpcake :-p sighing at his past self :-p
  • God, strike me dead if I ever degrade myself enough to make a dump cake.

Dump truck cake
  • Cremlian said:
    No thanks, I'll pass on eating pure butter coated with sugar.

• Andrew said:

Cremlian said:
    No thanks, I'll pass on eating pure butter coated with sugar.

Why would you make a recipe with BOTH Butter and Margarine?! I refuse to make Dump Cakes on the grounds that they promote Paula Deen and Sandra Lee styles of baking. If you forgot who Sandra Lee was, let me remind you...

• Andrew said:

God, strike me dead if I ever degrade myself enough to make a dump cake.

• Cremlian said:
    Nope. That recipe is bullshit. It isn't a real dump cake. It requires mixing.
  • How is it possible to make something even remotely cake like without any mixing? Is the mixing really what stops people making cake in the first place?
  • Those "recipes" seem to mostly involved canned and frozen shelf stable ingredients too...
  • Rym said:

Those "recipes" seem to mostly involved canned and frozen shelf stable ingredients too...

That is the Sandra Lee way.
  • There is nothing even remotely appealing about the use of the word "dump" in conjunction with food.

You take dumps. You don't eat dumps.

Well, OK, someone probably does, but those people are weird.
  • The cake is a lie!!!

Those don't look like cakes. I'd call that either a tart or crumble. "Dump tart" or "crumble dumps".
  • Do I need special stuff for pickling? I have a ton of cucumbers and my Babci's recipe that I'd like to try. I've never done this before, and all I remember from her's was that she'd save old pickle jars and use them for her own.
  • Do I need special stuff for pickling? I have a ton of cucumbers and my Babci's recipe that I'd like to try. I've never done this before, and all I remember from her's was that she'd save old pickle jars and use them for her own.

Pickling is so easy. You put pickles into a jar with pickle stuff. You close the lid. You wait.
  • Polish pickling uses pressure to ferment. You put the food in a jar with the brine, cover it with more than one layer of cheese cloth, then weigh it down with a stone or smaller hefty cookware. Scoop off the salt brine once a day for 2-3 weeks and you'll have some quality grade pickled goods.
  • edited June 2015

Do I need special stuff for pickling? I have a ton of cucumbers and my Babci's recipe that I'd like to try. I've never done this before, and all I remember from her's was that she'd save old pickle jars and use them for her own.

You can typically find flats of Mason jars for pretty cheap. Got a Tractor Supply nearby?

Wait, it's Texas. The whole state is basically Tractor Supply, isn't it?

Anyhow, you'll also want lids. You can get lids and bands easily on Amazon. You can do a lot of pickling directly in a jar if you make micro-batches.

If you want to do larger batches (which you will, trust me), you'll want large food-safe containers. We have these 6-quart Cambro buckets:

http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-RFS6PPSW2190-6-Quart-Food-Storage-Container/dp/B002PMV77G/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1433791007&sr=8-17&keywords=food+grade+buckets

And also a white 5 gallon food-grade bucket that we got from Lowe's or Home Depot or whatever.

You'll also want salt. Lots of salt. Inadvisable quantities of salt. It's recommended to use canning and pickling salt specifically - but the only difference is the presence of anticaking agents in standard salt, which causes cloudiness in pickling solutions. If you don't care, you can use regular table salt (non-iodized):

http://www.amazon.com/Morton-Table-Salt-25-Pound/dp/B007SNJ98G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433791559&sr=8-4&keywords=table+salt

We managed to find 36 pounds of canning and pickling salt for 13 bucks, but that deal is long gone. Still have the salt.

And then if you want to get fuckin' fancy, you can get into CANNING, and then it's all downhill from there:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

For boiling water canning (most pickles and other acidified foods), you just need a bigass stockpot and maybe some canning racks. For pressure canning (low-acid foods), you'll need a pressure canner.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2015
    My aunt and I made this bundt cake for Independence Day.

Post edited by Daikun on

Today, I made my first two-layer cake with a whipping cream frosting. In the middle, I added chocolate whipping cream frosting with strawberries and raspberries. It did not turn out as pretty as I had hoped for, but it was delicious.

Shrimp scampi with angel hair in my skillet. Tastes great and super easy to make.
  • Damn, I need to grill some sausage.
  • When I actually cook, one of my go-to "recipes" is my hobo stew. Super easy and minimal cleanup. A can of pre-sliced cooked potatoes, some stew meat, maybe some carrots. Mix it all up and add some garlic salt, pepper, and a little Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. (You wanna use a thicker sauce because of all the water from the meat and potatoes or else you'll just end up with a bunch of liquid at the bottom.) Wrap it up in tin foil and put it in the oven for maybe 45 minutes to an hour.
  • I've been making Spanish omelettes recently, works great for a lunch or dinner.
  • I got a new pizza stone off Woot.com so I tested it out by making rye beard for the first time. The experiment was a huge success! image