This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• I'm a libertarian and I support Net Neutrality. Am I don't something wrong here?
    Though I understand it's an issue for mainstream libertarians to not believe the government ever needs to step into the playground of capitalism and say, "Let another kid play with the ball." I just seem to understand this isn't the government stepping in with new policy to regulate, but stepping in to protect people from not-so-benevolent companies.
  • You're a libertarian at the wrong social tier/class, hence the confusion. Rand is concerned about poor set upon corporations. You're worried about proles and parasites.

Libertarianism is kinda inherently flawed in this way...
  • muppet said:

You're a libertarian at the wrong social tier/class, hence the confusion. Rand is concerned about poor set upon corporations. You're worried about proles and parasites.

Libertarianism is kinda inherently flawed in this way...

Well yeah I kinda understand the Invisible Hand needs a little help every now and again, especially since a lot of companies (and especially the ones who are rallying the hardest against Net Neutrality) have done everything in their powers to prevent getting bitchslapped.

If I may quote a paper I myself wrote on Bitcoin:
    I like Capitalism. The free market allows me to shop around to find the best price on my kumquats, obviously allowing me to impress the ladies with my knowledge of tropical fruit. However, I understand that capitalism, like any classic sport, requires rules and referees to ensure no one is hurt, and a store doesn't get away with calling an avocado a kumquat. Rabid supporters of BitCoin believe the market should be more like Calvinball, with rules made up on the spot and changed frequently. Unfortunately, as has been shown, while that is a fun passtime for friends, when applied to the market that leaves the door open for abuse.
  • Rabid supporters of BitCoin

Also known as "investors in Dunning-Krugerrands."

• Less scream and lie and more head slappingly stupid, but Texas Gov. Greg Abbot is deploying the state guard to "observe" US special forces during a training exercise because he doesn't want Obama to declare martial law and take over his state.

This is some choice reading. I especially liked the talk about how Wal-Mart was going to be a guerilla staging ground.
  • edited May 2015
    Banta said:

This is some choice reading. I especially liked the talk about how Wal-Mart was going to be a guerilla staging ground.

Food and ammo to last awhile, camping gear, entertainment, first aid supplies, and probably painkillers in the pharmacy. Almost perfect except for the fact you could never secure it with as many exits as it has.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Banta said:

Less scream and lie and more head slappingly stupid, but Texas Gov. Greg Abbot is deploying the state guard to "observe" US special forces during a training exercise because he doesn't want Obama to declare martial law and take over his state.

Wow, I hope this gets more play this week. The Texas Gov. needs to be roundly ridiculed. It's the only thing that will beat back this level of stupid.
  • What is it with politicians named Abbot being idiots?
  • What is it with politicians named Abbot being idiots?

Proud lineage of privileged idiots.
  • So, now Rand Paul is claiming he went to Ferguson during the riots, and met with community leaders. Except, they're all apparently sworn to secrecy, because nobody has spoken to anyone about this, Paul can't remember their names when pressed, and nobody saw him anywhere nearby.

Call me crazy, but I'm a little skeptical of this claim.
  • Wow. Kansas GOP will defund their state courts if they rule in a way they don't like. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/final-front-sam-brownbacks-battle-control-kansas
  • Brownback may be the worst official in the U.S. today.
  • 2bfree said:

Wow. Kansas GOP will defund their state courts if they rule in a way they don't like. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/final-front-sam-brownbacks-battle-control-kansas

How is that not illegal?
  • 2bfree said:

Wow. Kansas GOP will defund their state courts if they rule in a way they don't like. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/final-front-sam-brownbacks-battle-control-kansas

How is that not illegal?
    You didn't catch HB1024? The "Everything is Legal if Republicans Do It" bill?
  • 2bfree said:

• They seriously need to vote on this flag nonsense? If I were in South Carolina I would honestly go and shoot a flaming arrow at it. Or maybe get an angry mob to cut down the pole. Problem solved. I wouldn't be too worried about the consequences.
  • Can you imagine if there were still British monuments and flags around the US? We beat them, their shit doesn't get to stick around here. But meanwhile there is plenty of confederate shit all around.

I think it might not be so bad to have a Civil War 2. Some people need a reminder of who won. We forgot to set the troll on fire to keep it from regenerating. Let's go set things straight.
  • The confederate flag flying all over the South is a national eyesore and a source of shame, but I don't think that thought policing is going to resolve the issue that this call seems to have been borne from. Shouting down terrible racists and batshit crazy people doesn't make them go away.
  • I get that to a lot of people they just like it because "Yeah I'm from the south!" but it often just comes off as "man I wish I had slaves." People are just attacking the flag because they can't physically go out and make racism go away right now, but they can burn a flag.
  • muppet said:

The confederate flag flying all over the South is a national eyesore and a source of shame, but I don't think that thought policing is going to resolve the issue that this call seems to have been borne from. Shouting down terrible racists and batshit crazy people doesn't make them go away.

Killing them does.
  • Well good luck with that.
  • I think the flag "agenda" is a diversion from the actual issues of education and mental health that need to be addressed in this country. You're not gonna cure America's social ills with gun laws and German-style speech laws. I'm not saying we shouldn't have tighter gun law, either. Just that it's not going to fix the core issue.
  • edited June 2015
    Apreche said:

Can you imagine if there were still British monuments and flags around the US? We beat them, their shit doesn't get to stick around here.

He said, in plain English.

Nah, I'm 100% with Scott on this one. Pull that shit down, it's a fucking embarrassment.

Post edited by Churba on
  • The thing that no one is really talking about, or that most people don't even realize is that this

is the first national flag of the Confederate States of America.

What most people think is the Confederate flag,

was actually the battle flag by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Lee, head of the Confederate Army, (hence why it was on the car in the Dukes of Hazard, the General Lee).

When people fly the second flag, they aren't celebrating the Confederate States of America, they're celebrating the personal standard of the man who led the opposition to the Union. There's no "Southern heritage" to be honored in the battle standard of the man who directly led the Confederacy against the United States of America.
  • When people fly the second flag, they aren't celebrating the Confederate States of America, they're celebrating the personal standard of the man who led the opposition to the Union.

I suspect approximately 100% of them are celebrating the Confederacy.

Or at least racism.
  • The flag above the SC state house was put up in direct response to civil rights laws and integration. It's literally a giant middle finger to black people and the rest of the nation.
  • I'm okay with individuals having the flags, to each their own, but it has no place in any sort of government location.
  • I'm okay with individuals having the flags, to each their own, but it has no place in any sort of government location.

Forgetting the racism (if that's even possible) can you imagine the British flying the flag of the USA? Could you imagine Russia flying the flag of Germany? Can you imagine Scott flying the flag of Rym? You don't fly your enemy's flag, especially not after you destroy them.