This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• Not sure if I put this up here before or not but Deathklok really deserves some credit. Three really top albums that have filled a niche for me. Its a strange thing when a parody metal band actually make good music. It was also their track "Face Fisted" that was the backing for that Bat-metal song that did the rounds a couple of months back.
  • Well, that's because Brendon Small is a legitimately talented guitarist who writes killer metal. Have you heard his solo album?

• I've had it looking at me for a while, just haven't got round to giving it a go. What else would you say goes in a similar vane?
  • Galaktikon

4 minutes in

This, this is what I need more of in my life.
  • Starfox said:

Galaktikon

4 minutes in

Yeah its even better than the Deathklok stuff, need more badly.
  • Amp said:

Starfox said:

Galaktikon

4 minutes in

Yeah its even better than the Deathklok stuff, need more badly.
    Is Nevermore doing anything for ya?

Something rather different that I always like to recommend:

It's less oldschool sounding than the first 2 minutes suggest. For a blackmetal band they are rather progressive in my opinion.
  • Starfox said:

Galaktikon

4 minutes in

I find that Vektor and Star One hit a similar spot for me. Nevermore is also a good choice.

• Oh yeah, Star One is right in my wheelhouse. I'll check out the other ones.
  • Yeah Nevermore his a good spot for me there. Have a big drive coming up this weekend so will get that on the ipod.
  • Don't know if Djent is everyone's jam here, but I'm fucking pumped for the new TesseracT album. Original singer is back and better than ever
  • I enjoyed the previous two albums. Definitely the first one over the second one, but also I didn't really like that they dropped the harsher vocals. I know they didn't want them to begin with but I felt like it fit the music more. Altered State is a little goofy on occasion with the vocals. But their instrumentation has always been on point.
  • Andrew said:

TesseracT

That's good. Really good. Am excited.

On another note, WHAT. Yes, that Christopher Lee. I'm listening to it now. Honestly, I don't like it too much. But very cool that he did it.
  • Starfox said:

Andrew said:

TesseracT

• Deafheaven's opening track from their upcoming album.

It's pretty epic.
  • I hadn't found a metal act I liked until I encountered Wilderun. They introduced me to Folk Metal, which I'm learning is the shit.

• Anyone have thoughts on the new Nile album?
  • Haven't heard it, but I did just discover Cnaiür's favorite band:

Tengger Cavalry, Mongolian folk metal!

I'm in a bit of a metal renaissance lately. First I discover Cloudkicker with vocals Tesseract and now this!
  • Huh. We both discovered Tengger Cavalry at about the same time completely coincidentally. They'll be on Junkman Radio episode 26 for sure.

My other favorite world folk metal is a Romanian group called Dirty Shirt.

Full album here. Be sure to check out Mental Csardas, which I didn't embed simply because it's not on YouTube.
  • edited September 2015
    My buddy showed me this band Wild Throne from Bellingham, WA. I dig them a lot. They have a new album coming out soon. They remind me a bit of Protest the Hero.

Post edited by MATATAT on

• TesseracTTTTT
    I haven't listened yet :O
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2015

A friend threw this at me a while back and I finally got round to listening to it. Not sure if it has come up before but a pretty solid album. Its has a great pace to it which draws you a long nicely and with out realising you are all the way through.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Can check out all of Deafheaven's new album New Bermuda on NPRMusic
  • And for this record this album is fucking solid. Definitely on par with Sunbather.
  • Not something that I think would be popular on here, but everyone needs to at least try Goblin Hovel. The closest to a genre I can find for them is atmospheric doom folk metal -- though I think a more accurate category would be "fucking sad".
  • Personally I don't think anything about that band is metal.
  • MATATAT said:

Personally I don't think anything about that band is metal.

Their logo is pretty metal.
  • It's atmospheric metal with folk instrumentation. It is to metal what Blackbird Raum was to punk.
  • edited September 2015
    Actually listening again that album in particular is more "metal"-ish. Has riffs and melodies that I would characterize as such. I originally made my statement after looking at some of their back catalog which is WAY less metal inspired. If anything it just sounds like acoustic alt rock with traditional folk inspirations.
    Post edited by MATATAT on