This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome (Summer) Games Done Quick thread

Comments

• Had surgery during the Hotline Miami run :(
    I wonder if they show world record time like they did last year. I haven't seen it, anybody seen any records being beaten?
  • sK0pe said:

Had surgery during the Hotline Miami run :(
    I wonder if they show world record time like they did last year. I haven't seen it, anybody seen any records being beaten?

Spica Adventure for best speedrun. (It was a world record!)

Anyways, if anybody didn't catch the incredibly unlucky Prince of Persia run, the runner was a fucking champion.
  • sK0pe said:

"We'll but putting you under anesthetic for the surgery now."
    "NO GODDAMNIT I HAVE SHIT TO DO"
    "But sir!"
    "Leave me conscious. For this, I can take it."
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

"We'll but putting you under anesthetic for the surgery now."
    "NO GODDAMNIT I HAVE SHIT TO DO"
    "But sir!"
    "Leave me conscious. For this, I can take it."
    Literally was watching the stream on my laptop in my room and then the anaesthetists started visiting, which I knew was a bad sign then the transfer nurse whipped the curtain open and all I saw was "Up Next - Hotline Miami".
    But I was like Churba internally.

I'll wait for the Youtube stuff to come out or I'll trawl through the Twitch recordings for Spica Adventure and ones I wanted to see.
  • edited July 2015
    sK0pe said:

But I was like Churba internally.

There's a little Churba inside us all.

What? I was young. Sewing wild oats and all that.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I missed the oregon trail run but the swordless Zelda run was crazy last night.
  • OoT tonight at 10:40 should be an interesting one.
  • Coldguy said:

OoT tonight at 10:40 should be an interesting one.

I actually feel like it won't be. I've seen more OoT speedruns than any other kind. Have there been huge developments this year?
  • Unless they are doing all adult dungeons blindfolded to top last year it's nothing I need to see again.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

I actually feel like it won't be. I've seen more OoT speedruns than any other kind. Have there been huge developments this year?
    They've apparently discovered a glitch to get a bottle without going to Kakariko, which cuts yet another segment out of any%.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

They've apparently discovered a glitch to get a bottle without going to Kakariko, which cuts yet another segment out of any%.
    I'll catch it on the YouTube.

Tomorrow morning I want to watch Super Turrican!
  • I was watching a supercut of the Crash 2 guy with pence and was disappointed to learn he's just some immensely unfunny dork.

With all the hoopla going on around him, I was half-expecting him to elbow drop the console or something.
  • If you haven't seen a run of it before, watch the DK64 run when it goes up. RIP walls.
  • If you haven't seen a run of it before, watch the DK64 run when it goes up. RIP walls.

I get it!

Also the Super Turrican run this morning was awesome, killed a game I really was bad at. Plus the Bionic Commando 2 run was too hype for me to watch at work.
  • I watched the Hotline Miami 2 speed run on youtube, that guy is so much better than me lol but I'm glad I was using some of the same techniques, I don't get S grades I can only manage A and B grades.
  • Hoverless SMS was one of those things that baffles me as to how in the world people find this stuff.
  • edited August 2015
    The animals have been saved!
    RIP Zoasty's WR-pace run, lost to the Super Metroid.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • So we all know how insane those Tetris players are, and how difficult Tetris: The Grandmaster is. It's insane.

But just how insane? I mean, I'm not amazing at Tetris. I can't setup T-Spins. I'm not breaking any records. But amongst friends, of whom almost all are gamery nerds who have played Tetris for many hours, I usually win. Back in the Tetris DS days, Ro and I were pretty much top tier in the group.

So I opened up Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 in MAME. I set it on Master mode, instead of normal mode. Then I played to see how well I could do. I even used my arcade stick for an authentic experience.

On my first try I was just getting used to the controls, since it's actually different than Tetris you are used to. I was also getting in the groove, so I messed up early and just killed mysef.

On my second try I was definitely in a Tetris groove. Up until things got crazy and everything fell apart. I got to level 180 in 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Then GG. There was not enough time for me to rotate pieces before they locked in. The number 6 was in the top right of the screen.

By comparison, when the pros were at 4 minutes and 20 seconds they were at level 700 or even 800+, there was the letter M and some other kind of bonus symbol in the top right. They survive until level 999 to reach Gm, and that takes about 6 minutes.

I need a robot body so I can have a chance of competing at video games again.
  • Apreche said:

I need a robot body so I can have a chance of competing at video games again.

What if you devoted 10 hours of your day to holding onto your arcade stick and playing that game for 6 months? Surely you would develop some memory muscle.
    The difference is that you and I don't have time for that but these people do.
    It's kind of like why Daigo Umahara, Tokido, Infiltration are grown ass men with wives (I think Infiltration still has a day job) who can compete with younger Street Figher players and they still end up in upper echelon.

I believe @Apreche can do it if he just tries and he will become a Tetris master.
  • I agree with sK0pe in this. Practice, time and effort is the key to mastery, even in Tetris. The guys who demostrate Tetris Grand Master in GDQ play it a lot, they practice and they put in the time needed to be good at the game.

I honestly think it's little bit insulting to play the game twice and then go "Nope, this is impossible. Not because I lack dedication or time, but because of my body that I don't have any control over."
  • Obviously if I practice a whole bunch I can get better, but no matter how much I practice there is a limit to what can be accomplished.

"But 39 ain't the same as 29." -Shaquille O'Neal
  • edited August 2015
    39 ain't the same as 29, but hard-won experience and rat cunning will still beat youth and speed.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Found a list of underrated runs I caught some of these live and for the most part agree with the list selection.
  • Finally have the run that blew my mind this past event online.

Human controlled memory overflow, holy shit.
  • Agdq 2016 list has been finalized.

Critique it here
  • T minus 5 minutes, Splatoon single player campaign is kicking it off.