This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why can't Lego release sets like this?

Comments

• I had 6077 and 6059.

But my cheap parents never got me the glorious 6085 or 6086.

• My reading of this thread is going to end with a dorm room full of Lego
  • I love threads like this where I can say, "Oh yeah, you guys were closer to my older brother's age." He was born in '81, me in '84. So a large portion of my toys were hand-me-downs from the earlier parts of the 80's.
  • The only thing that keeps me from buying all these on eBay is that I do not live in a large house with an entire extra room.
  • I live in a large house with an extra room. My wife decided she wanted to build a family LEGO, so she ordered this two or three weeks ago:

We have not opened it yet though. Sooooon.
  • Matt said:

I live in a large house with an extra room. My wife decided she wanted to build a family LEGO, so she ordered this two or three weeks ago:

We have not opened it yet though. Sooooon.

You chose, poorly.

http://amzn.to/1O62aHM
  • A little pirate raft was my first lego, and an island prison was the first one I put together without my parents' help. I currently have Fallingwater in my living room:

• How much is that Falling Water? My mom would like it.
  • The MSRP was $100, but it's discontinued so it's probably marked up everywhere now. I got it as a gift a few years ago.
  • pence said:

The MSRP was $100, but it's discontinued so it's probably marked up everywhere now. I got it as a gift a few years ago.

Dang.
  • pence said:

I currently have Fallingwater in my living room:

I remember learning about that building in my art appreaction class during my freshman year in college.

• I had lots of Lego sets as a kid, but one of my favourites was the pirate ship:

• edited October 2015
    I also knew someone who had the pirate ship, but it wasn't me! Dat monkey.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Aha! Also this:

• Yeah! That's the first one I had. I think my mom put it together because I wasn't quite smart enough to read the instructions, yet.
  • I either had that, or something very similar. I think it might have been basically the same thing with a cloth sail. I definitely had plenty of barrels, sharks and maps.
  • I had some Lego sets, but there's only one theme that I really remember having, and I'm pretty sure they are still at my parents' house somewhere. Behold, the Aquanauts!
  • edited October 2015
    This one?

Seeing these sets again have started to give me the urge to go digging through the boxes in my parents' attic.

I've been having a blast going through Let's Build It Again and paging through the instruction manuals of all the sets I wanted but never owned. That was always half the fun for me, seeing how it all comes together.
    Post edited by UncleUlty on
  • Ahoy, that be the one!
  • The weird thing for me was that I could spot the sets I owned just as much from the individual bricks that the completed structure. I knew which pirate ship it was, even without looking at the dates or other data, because I remember having lots of little yellow slope bricks later on. And I spotted an aircraft I knew I had because of the shape of the nose brick and the lower part of the fuselage's cross section.

• I remember the Aquanauts! That was one of my favorite LEGO settings. My memory of the sets makes them much bigger, though...
  • Wow I had the Aquanauts and pirate sets too but I didn't have the super awesome big ship or Aquanaut's base because my parents couldn't afford it at the time.
  • Growing up, I had two space sets that I loved:

Every time I see pictures of the spaceship from the Lego movie, I want to buy it.
  • edited October 2015
    When I was a bit older (8-9), I remember getting very into their Ice Planet line:
    001.jpg

If I was that age today, I would be flipping my shit over last year's Arctic line:
    Post edited by Matt on
  • My brother had a couple ice planet. It was cool because translucent orange is awesome, and also chainsaws.
  • The other thing I remember about lego when I was very young was going through the catalog that came with every set... reading and re-reading that same catalog. It was just as good as actually having the models for me, which might explain why I have a shelf of RPG books in my bedroom.
  • This is hilarious, though I'm probably not getting it.
  • This looks amazing and I'm probably getting it (though I'm currently in the process of reducing my Lego collection a bit).

• Oh my god, I would buy this set in a second:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/138271

• Yellow Submarine and Apollo 11 Saturn V multi-stage rocket are becoming real sets.

Also, this is what I'm doing this week and weekend: