This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Undertale

This game is blowing up the internet. I played it a month ago, knowing very little going in, and have spent every day since then thinking about it. It is that good.

Taken as a bulleted list, the fiction and the gameplay are in the dead center of my wheelhouse - but it's the execution which makes it superb. It's a tight, compact little game with a lot to say about its characters and its world.

If you like games like: Chrono Trigger and assorted SNES RPGs, vertical shooters, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
If you like fiction like: Madoka, Steven Universe, His Dark Materials

You will probably like this game. It's $10 and it takes about 6 hours to complete.

Bonus: the soundtrack is off the hook

Comments

• I've been putting off getting this, as I pretend my backlog would ever get shorter. But I really should just go for it and find the six or so hours somewhere.
  • Undertale is breaking one of my sins of gaming, tailor a game to a bunch of screenshots that can be turned into memes instead of having the journey experienced fresh. Although the latest bit confused me since they sent a message to the people of AGDQ to NOT feature their game at all and deny it to not "ruin" the story. This is the opposite of how the game is designed.
  • I wouldn't say the game was tailored to be a screenshot > meme factory. That happens to a lot of games.

It's just spoilers. If you care about spoilers, play the game before you start looking up things about the game.
  • I can see how someone would assume that, based on the sheer volume of Undertale content that was hot lava birthed into the world... but that also makes me sad. It stands out from a lot of modern video game writing, and avoids safe, detached cynicism.

Undertale is genuine as fuck, fo'real. Steven Universe is a good comparison for general tone.
  • The game is incredible. Easily GOTY worthy. Love the humor, characters, writing, game design, music and secrets about in the game.

However, the fans are perfomring a major disservice to the game by talking about all the significant details at once. Everyone who plays it should experience it on their own without any suggestions on how to play the game. Craft your own journey, discover what you want, do what you feel like. Even with spoilers I got really emotionally affected by what happened in the stories and the various endings, but I would never want to take any of that feeling away from anybody.

You do you. Also, sans is the best character. Dressed up for him for Halloween, will do that again for MAGFest.
  • Agreed. If you think you're ever going to play it, just play it - much of the "magic" is how it respects the little decisions you make, not just the big ones. It's a very personal game.

I have strong opinions about the best character, but I will accept Sans.

(It is Alphys)
  • pence said:

Agreed. If you think you're ever going to play it, just play it - much of the "magic" is how it respects the little decisions you make, not just the big ones. It's a very personal game.

I have strong opinions about the best character, but I will accept Sans.

(It is Alphys)

To be fair, everyone could be best character. Papyrus, Toriel, Undyne. Everyone. Cept Jerry. No one likes him.
  • The whole premise of the game is "What if?" Almost every tiny dumb thing you can do has a corresponding bit of narrative to it. Honestly, the most fun to be had with this game after playing it is exposing it top new people and living it again through their blind eyes.

Now for something dumb.
  • ThatGent said:

Honestly, the most fun to be had with this game after playing it is exposing it to new people and living it again through their blind eyes.

That is a primary motivator for creating this thread. We're quickly approaching the inflection point where "blind eyes" won't exist, and if some of them are people I know that would be great. :P
  • pence said:

ThatGent said:

Honestly, the most fun to be had with this game after playing it is exposing it to new people and living it again through their blind eyes.

That is a primary motivator for creating this thread. We're quickly approaching the inflection point where "blind eyes" won't exist, and if some of them are people I know that would be great. :P
    I'm all aboard with this. I recently got my girlfriend to buy the game. I was hoping to watch her play it but I'm being sent away by work for the week. I've told her when I get back I expect an essay on who her favorite character is and why it's Undyne.

The really strange thing about the game is (spoilers ahead) a lot of the characters really come into their own when you do a genocide run. Like Undyne doing everything in her power to delay you while Alphys get's everyone to safety. It's one of the few RPGs where the branching path doesn't really change the main characters personalities, it just has them react to a majorly different situation.
  • Part One.
  • I can pretty much guarantee I'll be playing this soon, before the moment has passed.
  • Rym: You didn't read all the books, but I'm still going to pull a Geeknights Presents Utena, here.

All the text in the library books? Just file that away in the back of your mind for now. Remember it.
  • Humans are the real monsters. Those dusty shoes in Toriel's room mean this has happened before. Etc...
  • edited November 2015
    There are a variety of paths anyone can take, some people just chose the path least vacuumed.

spoilered for size.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • edited November 2015
    "Humans are the real monsters" is only the most obvious part of it, and certainly not the most meaningful part to the game's thesis I feel like. pence isn't kidding when he mentions Utena. Try to keep that and shows like Madoka and Evangelion in mind while playing, especially towards the end... :o
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Part 2:
  • Emily found this one:
  • This one contains actual spoilers.
    [spoiler]