This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome (Summer) Games Done Quick thread

Comments

• I want to watch, but not much exciting on the schedule.
  • I'm interested in seeing someone beat Dragon Age in an hour, the Mario Maker stuff, the Mega Man X block, and the other usual good stuff.
  • Super Mario Kart race was insane 1 SECOND DIFFERENCE!
  • I tried watching the oracles of ages video but the echo effect is almost impossible to listen to. Hoping the fix will happen after the event is over.

Tonight the two games to go with are battle block theatre and ori and the blind forest. The Disney block is OK but that kibdom hearts game is just bleh with its placement.
  • Kinda sad that Ori is at 5am for me, probably will watch it on youtube later. But might watch Axiom Verge tomorrow morning if I finish it tonight.
  • The Splatoon opening stream was unbelievably hype. Worth sharing when it gets uploaded. I'm really curious to see how the Super Mario Maker Race will go.
  • I caught the last 5 minutes of Splatoon. I already know I want to see the rest!
  • All of the day 1 stuff is up already. It's pretty much going up as fast as possible, so if you watched something, it's probably up already.
  • I didn't give any shits about these Disney games, but as is typical with AGDQ, they make you care. This Goof Troop run is one guy with two SNES controllers playing co-op with himself. Damn son.

Same guy is also going to do Secret of Mana later on with one person two controllers. AW SNAP!
  • I'm so into the SoM one.

Also FFIV. That was a 20-30 hour game for me as a kid. Really want to know what shenanigans they pull.
  • FFIV is nuts. The RNG manipulation alone blows my mind.
  • It's usually hilarious manual glitch manipulation. Look up the 151 Blue run from SGDQ2015. They basically found ways to do arbitrary code execution using nothing but the manipulation of inventory items.
  • Looks like Battleblock Theatre is at 9ish, they are going to attempt a deathless run on max difficulty aka no checkpoints. This should be one of the big ones to catch.
  • D&D: Shadow over Mystara is an arcade game designed to kill you repeatedly and eat all your quarters. And this dude is beating it with NO deaths.
    The real hero is the snake with ranks in rogue.
  • I can't believe Metroid Fusion came out in 2002 and Zero Mission came out in 2004. 12/14 years since we last had a new 2D portable Metroid game. Nintendo, Y U NO? Just release Super Duper Metroid for 3DS. Shut up and take everyone's money.
  • Apreche said:

I can't believe Metroid Fusion came out in 2002 and Zero Mission came out in 2004. 12/14 years since we last had a new 2D portable Metroid game. Nintendo, Y U NO? Just release Super Duper Metroid for 3DS. Shut up and take everyone's money.

Consider it was about 12 years between 2D mario games at one point (Mario Land 2 to NSMB). It's not unprecedented for that to happen with Nintendo. That said, it's not their stable of recognizably, nor their money-printer, so....
  • Nintendo is likely afraid to do Metroid (beyond the spinoff Federation Force coming out), because the last time they left it up to their Japanese devs (Other M), it was panned. And their pride stops them from just admitting that American devs understand the game better.
  • Axel said:

Nintendo is likely afraid to do Metroid (beyond the spinoff Federation Force coming out), because the last time they left it up to their Japanese devs (Other M), it was panned. And their pride stops them from just admitting that American devs understand the game better.

Japanese devs understand the 2D game better.
  • But as a dev, they don't want to keep making the same thing they've made. They're probably bored of that. They also likely believe that they need to make a 3D Metroid to bring in bigger crowds than just the old-school 2D Metroid fans (who are loud, but likely less plentiful than we wish).
  • Axel said:

But as a dev, they don't want to keep making the same thing they've made. They're probably bored of that. They also likely believe that they need to make a 3D Metroid to bring in bigger crowds than just the old-school 2D Metroid fans (who are loud, but likely less plentiful than we wish).

I think you will be very surprised at how well a 2D game can sell even these days.
  • Even though Nintendo is said to be milkers of nostalgia, I feel that they keep children as their primary audience. Not 80s or 90s children, but modern day children of 2016. And kids today haven't even seen a 2D Metroid game, or maybe even Metroid game at all. So if Nintendo makes a new Metroid game it has to introduce the world and characters to a new generation. And before that Nintendo has to consider if kids these days would even care for Metroid game.
  • Apsup said:

Even though Nintendo is said to be milkers of nostalgia, I feel that they keep children as their primary audience. Not 80s or 90s children, but modern day children of 2016. And kids today haven't even seen a 2D Metroid game, or maybe even Metroid game at all. So if Nintendo makes a new Metroid game it has to introduce the world and characters to a new generation. And before that Nintendo has to consider if kids these days would even care for Metroid game.

Again, I think you greatly underestimate what kids know about Metroid.
  • Apreche said:

Apsup said:

Even though Nintendo is said to be milkers of nostalgia, I feel that they keep children as their primary audience. Not 80s or 90s children, but modern day children of 2016. And kids today haven't even seen a 2D Metroid game, or maybe even Metroid game at all. So if Nintendo makes a new Metroid game it has to introduce the world and characters to a new generation. And before that Nintendo has to consider if kids these days would even care for Metroid game.

Remind me, were you one of those people who angrily wrote about how omegathon finalists in PAX didn't know how to play Mario? And I assume those were adults. I'm willing to bet that kids know even less stuff that you'd consider to be video games 101.

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Apsup said:

Remind me, were you one of those people who angrily wrote about how omegathon finalists in PAX didn't know how to play Mario? And I assume those were adults. I'm willing to bet that kids know even less stuff that you'd consider to be video games 101.
    Just because they suck doesn't mean they won't buy and play.
  • Super Metroid with two players, half the controller each, one hand each. Crazy.
  • Super Metroid with two players, half the controller each, one hand each. Crazy.

YEP
  • Apreche said:

Super Metroid with two players, half the controller each, one hand each. Crazy.

YEP
    They also made a world-record for that category.
  • Ramping up for the blindfolded turbo tunnel later today.
  • We almost had a 2D Metroid 10 years ago, and it never happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Dread