This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I'm right again, but that was definitely game of the year. Probably best game in many years, at least for entertainment value. They have to hurry up and replace the refs with computers. Dat coin non-flip.

Tomorrow there's a big Netrunner tournament, but I might be able to see the end of the late game. I give Carolina a 70% chance to win and Denver 85% chance. That being said, no matter who wins the NFC game tomorrow is going face New England in the Super Bowl, because either team will take out Arizona.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That game was decided way more by the idiocy of Andy Reid than it was the genius of the Patriots. When you're down against the Pats and you've got 6 min in the 4th quarter, you can't be punting in their territory. You can't be taking your time. Get your ass into hurry-up offense, rather than staking your game on an onside kick.
  • Matt said:

That game was decided way more by the idiocy of Andy Reid than it was the genius of the Patriots. When you're down against the Pats and you've got 6 min in the 4th quarter, you can't be punting in their territory. You can't be taking your time. Get your ass into hurry-up offense, rather than staking your game on an onside kick.

Reid never knew how to coach playoff football. See: very long Eagles career.
  • Janis had 101 receiving yards on the last drive. WTF.
  • Last night was the first time the Patriots looked like the 10-0 team that started the season. Having Edelman back allowed the offense to get into a rhythm.
  • Haven't had an ass whooping like this in a long time. Damn.
  • That first quarter was fun. I didn't expect to see the Seahawks with more interceptions than first downs.
  • Other than the Joe Flacco anomaly, the last time an AFC Quarterback not named Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger went to the Super Bowl was Rich Gannon in 2003.

Let's mix it up, NFL.
  • Didn't see any games since it was Netrunner all day. But my predictions were 100% accurate.

Super Bowl - New England x North Carolina.

Who will win it? That one is actually 50/50.
  • What would be a better record: Panthers getting a 18-1 season including the Super Bowl, or Patriots getting to 18-1 but losing in the last two minutes?
  • What would be a better record: Panthers getting a 18-1 season including the Super Bowl, or Patriots getting to 18-1 but losing in the last two minutes?

Winning the Bowl is all that matters. That's why the most impressive record is winning four-five with the same team. The steelers have won six, but not with the same teams. The Giants have won four, but that was two different teams winning two each. San Fran won 5 with the same team. New England could tie it up.
  • Cardinals even though I am no fan of Ariens or Broncos to see Peyton go out in style. I honestly don't mind it the Patriots win either.
  • Anyone but Panthers, right? ;)
  • Did the same thing against the Packers. Seems like a real tool.
  • Yep. I feel he has no class and no respect but he'll be the MVP. Whatevs. But I sports hate the Panthers and Cam Newton something fierce. I didn't like them when they sucked and I hate them even more now.
  • Ro, join us in hockey love. Seattle is still on the shortlist of getting a team. ;^)

Hockey has the "coach vs coach" and "captain vs captain" strategy aspects of football, but it also has the "man on man" rivalries and fast tactical play. You'll even have the refs standing in the middle explaining to everyone what just happened. ;^)

Also far fewer concussions.
  • MATATAT said:
    What are you talking about? That's the right of the victor to shit on the loser. If you want to open your mouth, then win.
  • If Seattle gets a team I plan on going all in.
  • Rym said:

Ro, join us in hockey love. Seattle is still on the shortlist of getting a team. ;^)

It's looking like the expansion's going to Vegas and Quebec City, though.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:
    What are you talking about? That's the right of the victor to shit on the loser. If you want to open your mouth, then win.
    You've got to be joking here. If you're the big man multi-millionaire athlete, you need to be above a little fan taunting. Way to act like a fucking child, Cam Newton.
  • I think there is smacktalk and then there is just being mean, and that kinda seems like a mean thing to do.
  • Rochelle said:

If Seattle gets a team I plan on going all in.

Ditto.
  • I'm rooting for Carolina. I've always been a fan of the NFC over the AFC. Of the two teams that remain, I think Carolina has the best shot of Superb Owl glory.

I side with Scott. You pre-game that shit talk, you best be prepared to be laid low. I showboated an amazing Tumbling Dice shot at PAX only to have Rym ruin my night. I stood and took it because I danced around the room.
  • Rym said:

Ro, join us in hockey love. Seattle is still on the shortlist of getting a team. ;^)

*sigh* Fuck Vegas. It's the fucking desert! They won't give two shits about sports there other than gambling.
  • Matt said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:
    You've got to be joking here. If you're the big man multi-millionaire athlete, you need to be above a little fan taunting. Way to act like a fucking child, Cam Newton.
    Let's say I win a board game. Yeah, it might be slightly jerky for me to go to all the losers and say "YOU SUCK, and YOU SUCK, and YOU SUCK!" It might be slightly less jerky for me to gloat and say "I am the best! I am the winner! The winner is me!"

That being said, there is something much much worse than being a sore winner. And that's being a sore loser.

When you lose there are only three kinds of things you are allowed to say.

1) The classy thing. Something like "We were beat fair and square. They were the better team. We got outplayed. They were excellent opponents who have destroyed us on the field of battle. We made these mistakes, and that's why we deservedly lost." You get the idea.

2) The self-deprecating thing (New York style). Our team is a sack of shit. Man we suck. What a bunch of bums. Wow, we really fucked up. Sacks of shit losing that game. Trade/release all these shitty ass players. Fire all the coaches. Booo my team, booooo! Get off the field, booo!

3) Nothing at all.

Doesn't matter how much the winner rubs dirt in the face of the loser. They earned that right by winning. If you wanted to shut them up, you had your chance on the field. All this nonsense trying to take someone else down for celebrating their victory. Show me the last victory that wasn't celebrated. Anyone here want to try to pretend that they aren't going to obnoxiously celebrate when they win? All these people happy to dish it out when they win, but they can't take it when they lose.

You people who aren't from New York, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, and a few other good places, have a lot to learn about how to sports fan properly. If you want to see what happens when you never learn, look at Philadelphia. San Francisco is pretty much about to become Philadelphia 2.0 in terms of sports fandoms. Murdering people in their parking lots and shit. And Vancouver, don't think we forget your shit.

Unlike other Giants fans, I have a lot of respect for New England. They play to win the game. You don't see other teams doing that. All the losers they squished keep whining about "cheating." Sure, let's say they did cheat. By what? Stealing signals and deflating footballs? You think that makes a difference? Even if they just let you listen to their radios, gave you their signals, and let you deflate your own balls, you think you're going to beat the hoodie, the golden boy, and the gonk? Good luck with that. They've got just one first round draft pick on the sidelines, more than half the team is in the DL, and they're in the AFC championship game for how many years in a row? No one has a right to talk any smack to them, no matter how obnoxious that stupid horn they blast every third down.

I also have a lot of respect for Carolina. Look at all these other dysfunctional organizations out there. Tampa, Cleveland, Tennesee, Jacksonville. They stink it up, get high draft picks, and stink it up some more. The only doors on their stadiums are the revolving kind. Meanwhile, Carolina got Cam Newtown, and they actually gave him a chance. Just like Rodgers, Brady, and Manning, he didn't win a lot in his early days. But instead of being morons and benching their brand new star after a handful of games, they let him play. Then they let him keep playing. For 4+ years now they just let him keep going. Didn't make the playoffs? No big deal. Keep playing. That organization knows that what makes someone great is practice. Now he's good. Real good. So good that he has the right to take the flag of whatever team he beats and wipe his ass with it.

If you don't like it, then win the game. Then you can wipe your ass with Cam's photo, and he'll just have to go to the locker room and cry. Until that day, deal with it.
  • Rochelle said:

Rym said:

*sigh* Fuck Vegas. It's the fucking desert! They won't give two shits about sports there other than gambling.
    They want the stadium in Vegas specifically for gambling, not for fans. In almost every country that's not the US stadiums for soccer, cricket, basketball, baseball, etc. are really not much different from the horsey tracks in the US. They make mad money from gambling. It's even more profitable than ludicrously overpriced beers and thousand dollar tickets. In fact, the profits from the gambling actually keep the ticket prices down somewhat.
  • Uh oh. Broncos looking like the old Giants with that defense. Hoodie has more TDs than Brady with that pro challenge. Couldn't even get the PAT.
  • Panthers look like they are having a training session out there. I can't see them losing the super bowl even if they play 30%. Are they trying 2 point conversions just for a laugh?