This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• That was strange. Asking for somebody to hurt Cam.
  • edited January 2016
    Apreche said:

Matt said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:
    What are you talking about? That's the right of the victor to shit on the loser. If you want to open your mouth, then win.
    You've got to be joking here. If you're the big man multi-millionaire athlete, you need to be above a little fan taunting. Way to act like a fucking child, Cam Newton.
    Let's say I win a board game. Yeah, it might be slightly jerky for me to go to all the losers and say "YOU SUCK, and YOU SUCK, and YOU SUCK!" It might be slightly less jerky for me to gloat and say "I am the best! I am the winner! The winner is me!"

That being said, there is something much much worse than being a sore winner. And that's being a sore loser.

When you lose there are only three kinds of things you are allowed to say.

1) The classy thing. Something like "We were beat fair and square. They were the better team. We got outplayed. They were excellent opponents who have destroyed us on the field of battle. We made these mistakes, and that's why we deservedly lost." You get the idea.

2) The self-deprecating thing (New York style). Our team is a sack of shit. Man we suck. What a bunch of bums. Wow, we really fucked up. Sacks of shit losing that game. Trade/release all these shitty ass players. Fire all the coaches. Booo my team, booooo! Get off the field, booo!

3) Nothing at all.

Doesn't matter how much the winner rubs dirt in the face of the loser. They earned that right by winning. If you wanted to shut them up, you had your chance on the field. All this nonsense trying to take someone else down for celebrating their victory. Show me the last victory that wasn't celebrated. Anyone here want to try to pretend that they aren't going to obnoxiously celebrate when they win? All these people happy to dish it out when they win, but they can't take it when they lose.

You people who aren't from New York, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, and a few other good places, have a lot to learn about how to sports fan properly. If you want to see what happens when you never learn, look at Philadelphia. San Francisco is pretty much about to become Philadelphia 2.0 in terms of sports fandoms. Murdering people in their parking lots and shit. And Vancouver, don't think we forget your shit.

Unlike other Giants fans, I have a lot of respect for New England. They play to win the game. You don't see other teams doing that. All the losers they squished keep whining about "cheating." Sure, let's say they did cheat. By what? Stealing signals and deflating footballs? You think that makes a difference? Even if they just let you listen to their radios, gave you their signals, and let you deflate your own balls, you think you're going to beat the hoodie, the golden boy, and the gonk? Good luck with that. They've got just one first round draft pick on the sidelines, more than half the team is in the DL, and they're in the AFC championship game for how many years in a row? No one has a right to talk any smack to them, no matter how obnoxious that stupid horn they blast every third down.

I also have a lot of respect for Carolina. Look at all these other dysfunctional organizations out there. Tampa, Cleveland, Tennesee, Jacksonville. They stink it up, get high draft picks, and stink it up some more. The only doors on their stadiums are the revolving kind. Meanwhile, Carolina got Cam Newtown, and they actually gave him a chance. Just like Rodgers, Brady, and Manning, he didn't win a lot in his early days. But instead of being morons and benching their brand new star after a handful of games, they let him play. Then they let him keep playing. For 4+ years now they just let him keep going. Didn't make the playoffs? No big deal. Keep playing. That organization knows that what makes someone great is practice. Now he's good. Real good. So good that he has the right to take the flag of whatever team he beats and wipe his ass with it.

If you don't like it, then win the game. Then you can wipe your ass with Cam's photo, and he'll just have to go to the locker room and cry. Until that day, deal with it.
    my comparison here was between a star QB and a person who was not even playing the game. Even if the bystander fan is being a jerk, my expectation is the star athlete must show he is above the fray. Instead, he lowered himself to their level.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Matt said:

my comparison here was between a star QB and a person who was not even playing the game. Even if the bystander fan is being a jerk, my expectation is the star athlete must show he is above the fray. Instead, he lowered himself to their level.

Good, I like that action. I don't like players who just treat their job like a job. Going where the money is. Only trying hard when they're going to enter free agency.

I like the players who actually care about the game and their team. Players that actually care about winning, and hate their rivals just as much as the fans do. Nothing gets you more excited for your team than seeing that the players share your feelings.

Stooping to what level? The fan's level? That's not stooping, that's rising to the occasion. People making such a big deal of this, ignoring all the convicted felons in the league.
  • So if a little kid had a Cards foam finger, and Cam grabbed it from him and tore it up, you're cool with that?
  • edited January 2016
    Let's be honest, the fan kinda asked for it. You don't shove your flag in front of the winning team's QB and wave it around in front of their face. It's not as if Cam jumped up into the bleachers and grabbed it from the fan, no it was shoved in his face as an insult.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Starfox said:

So if a little kid had a Cards foam finger, and Cam grabbed it from him and tore it up, you're cool with that?

Depends on the context. If it's just in the middle of the game after a touchdown or something, that's a bit premature and not cool. He could even embarrass himself by losing the game. Do a nice celebration dance or something, but you haven't won the game yet.

If the game is over, and the kid is acting all high and mighty like his team didn't just get totally destroyed, then you can take him out. Teach that kid a valuable lesson. Losers know your place and walk to the parking lot all quiet-like. Heads down. If you want to wave the finger, then win the game.
  • Also, the outcry and situation seems a little reminiscent to the backlash about the Richard Sherman interview from a couple years ago. Remember when people called him a 'thug' and said he lacked 'sportsmanship'? People just don't like seeing a black man being super proud about their accomplishments.
  • True stories from my life and going to real professional sporting events:

I was at a New England Patriots regular season home game quite a few years ago. Must have been mid-2000s. Definitely before the Giants beat them in Bowl 42. Anyway, the Patriots were VERY used to always winning home games. At that point in time, they hadn't lost one in years. But sure enough, they lost that one!

If you don't know, the stadium in Foxboro is at the end of this very long and straight road with parking lots and motels all along the side leading to the stadium. At that time they hadn't rebuilt the stadium yet, so there wasn't a huge amount of official parking. Everyone parked along the road and had to take a long walk in both directions to get to/from their cars. Let's just say to their credit, it was a very long and quiet walk back to the cars.

I wasn't at this game, but I heard true stories about the Yanks Wild Card game this year. The Yanks lost and were eliminated from post-season play. Legend has it that on the way out of the stadium the fans chanted "Let's go Rangers!" and thereby admitting that their baseball team was done, and it was hockey time.

I attended World Series game 4, Royals @ Mets in 2015. The Mets lost. We weren't actually eliminated yet, but it was basically GG. During our quiet walk down the ramp to the 7 train some Mets fan starts chanting "Let's Go Mets! Come on you piece of shit Mets fans!" The "shut up" responses were in the majority, and in the right. If you don't win, you have nothing to cheer about.
  • Andrew said:

Also, the outcry and situation seems a little reminiscent to the backlash about the Richard Sherman interview from a couple years ago. Remember when people called him a 'thug' and said he lacked 'sportsmanship'? People just don't like seeing a black man being super proud about their accomplishments.

Yeah, I did think of that almost immediately. But his falls into trash talking. I'm okay with trash talking even though I'm not really a fan of it personally. But taking an emblematic flag and throwing it I categorize differently. I mean, I respect someone's right to burn a flag even if that may not be popular but also the people that tend to do that aren't getting paid millions of dollars and being broadcast on a major television channel in a prime time slot.
  • The flag was shoved in his face as he was celebrating. Of course he's going to throw that shit. If anything, it was the fans that were being disrespectful.
  • BTW, on the topic of outrage. How come Seahawk fans aren't angry that Carson Palmer told them to suck his dick? Where is the angry letter calling out Mr. Classless Carson?
  • edited January 2016
    Starfox said:

Uhh...

Different situation, and there isn't nearly the same response against him (which is more justifiable in this case). Also, the banner was borderline against stadium rules
    http://www.panthers.com/stadium/policies-information/banner-policy.html
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • MVP is Denver's defense, but they're going to give it to the Manning Bros.
  • This game is not worthy of a super bowl. MVP for nobody.
  • This game is not worthy of a super bowl. MVP for nobody.

Definitely a boring bowl. But what do you expect? The Super Bowl has historically been a very boring game. The number of exciting Super Bowls is very small. Even ones that are relatively good games are still considered boring by many. In my life I can only think of maybe 5 that were exciting enough to watch again. Most of the action usually happens in the conference championship games.
  • I was hoping for basic competence from either offense.

You know, I really miss the partisan home crowds that are at every other NFL game. At any point, half of the crowd were high and the other low. There's no shape to the sounds or the vibe from the stands. Even the dual-away games in London have more atmosphere.
  • Yeah! MVP Von Miller! Defense respect!

Defense wins championships, in case anyone forgot.
  • I was hoping for basic competence from either offense.

Part of the problem was that the teams had the two best defenses in the league, and the Broncos offense in particular has been kinda shit all season. So one would expect a very slow, low-scoring game.
  • Expect, sure. But I was hoping for some first half brilliance from Cam Newton like the rest of the season and some pre-retirement grinding from Peyton Manning in the second half.
  • edited March 2016
    New Prophecy: The Giants won their 2 recent SBs when a) Peyton won the previous year, and b) When Peyton doesn't play. In 2016 we have both.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYGiants/comments/49tw5t/new_prophecy_the_giants_won_their_2_recent_sbs/

As one commenter noted, this is Super Bowl LI. It would be Eli's third championship. It's time for 3LI
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • This is some amazing prophecy crafting. It was pretty good, but then 3LI? Perfect.
  • edited March 2016
    Apreche said:

New Prophecy: The Giants won their 2 recent SBs when a) Peyton won the previous year

Wait, I'm confused. Peyton only has two Superbowl rings, this current one, and the one for XLI, just before the Giants.

The Giants won Superbowl XLVI in the 2011 season. The previous year saw the Packers beat the Steelers at Superbowl XLV in the 2010 season?

Edit: Oooh, the first time was for A, and the second was for B. I did not parse that correctly. Nevermind me.
    Post edited by UncleUlty on
  • There's a problem, though. The Giants have been to 5 Super Bowls. For the 4 they won I watched the entire game from the den in my family's home in CT. The one they lost in 2000 against the Ravens I watched from the lounge in the RIT dorms.

If my mom sells the house, I don't know if we can ever win again.
  • The NFL is looking to expand globally. Germany in 2017 and China in 2018.
  • I get why they do it, but it's awfully shitty of the league to rip a home game from these teams.
  • Starfox said:

I get why they do it, but it's awfully shitty of the league to rip a home game from these teams.

That's why they always send shitty teams. Those teams get more money from the foreign game than they would have from their home game. I'm sure the NFL also adds in some additional monetary incentives. The players don't get anything extra, but don't worry. Those wealthy owners are taken care of.

• Apparently the Patriots drafted a played named Vincent Valentine.

I'm told that in the next round, they will draft Cid Highwind.