This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Gravity Falls - Final Thoughts

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Gravity Falls in full. It's a pretty solid cartoon. In the news, we will be doing five shows at Anime Boston this weekend. Escaflowne is getting a dub via pre-orders on Kickstarter. Sakamoto desu ga looks up our alley. Also we talk a bunch about bike rooms, bike laws, and bike thieves.

Help us make awesome things on Patreon! And buy our T-shirt! (or don't)

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Is this a spoilercast? I never got around to finishing Gravity Falls.
  • We start spoiling later in the show after a warning.
  • Grunkle Stan does talk to their parents at one point (I think it's the Season 1 finale).
  • I have no butt hair. I have no problems.
  • I have no butt hair. I have no problems.

What dimensions of butt do you have? That may be a core factor.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I have no butt hair. I have no problems.

What dimensions of butt do you have? That may be a core factor.
    I don't understand the question. Or: I'm quite slim?
  • lol As the video suggested maybe the hair facilitates lubrication to avoid chaffing. If you have a butt shape than means you have alot of flesh on flesh action, it might equate to growing more hair. Maybe.
  • I have no interest in watching the video.
  • The video is by the guys behind Scishow and Crash Course.
  • edited March 2016
    Just an interesting side note, Milk-toast that you call people(which is actually "Milquetoast") has an interesting relation to milk toast the thing you eat. The one you call people comes from a character in an old comic strip, rather than the food. But the name of the character is from the food - not because of the taste, but because it was considered light and easy to eat, and therefore good for someone with a weak stomach, since having a "weak stomach" is another way to call someone timid, which was the defining feature of the character, he was timid to a fault.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So what would it take to be able to label someone as Scotch Whiskey?
  • I'm gonna put this out there: NO MORE GODDAMN EVANGELION! I'm not gonna watch it! You will not convince me to watch it now! I want to hear you talk about Avatar: The Last Airbender! I HATE it when Rym says, "Let's watch X and review it," and then Scott basically says, "But... Effort..." so Rym then says, "Or we could review Evangelion for the ∞ time, hur hur hur."
  • I'm gonna put this out there: NO MORE GODDAMN EVANGELION! I'm not gonna watch it! You will not convince me to watch it now! I want to hear you talk about Avatar: The Last Airbender! I HATE it when Rym says, "Let's watch X and review it," and then Scott basically says, "But... Effort..." so Rym then says, "Or we could review Evangelion for the ∞ time, hur hur hur."

All I hear you saying is "NO, I DON'T WANT TO EAT DELICIOUS EXPENSIVE CHOCOLATE. I REFUSE! I WANT TO EAT POOP INSTEAD!"

Ok, crazy person go eat some poop. More chocolate for me.
  • Apreche said:

I'm gonna put this out there: NO MORE GODDAMN EVANGELION! I'm not gonna watch it! You will not convince me to watch it now! I want to hear you talk about Avatar: The Last Airbender! I HATE it when Rym says, "Let's watch X and review it," and then Scott basically says, "But... Effort..." so Rym then says, "Or we could review Evangelion for the ∞ time, hur hur hur."

All I hear you saying is "NO, I DON'T WANT TO EAT DELICIOUS EXPENSIVE CHOCOLATE. I REFUSE! I WANT TO EAT POOP INSTEAD!"

Scott, you're in old man mode already. If you didn't watch it when you were young you think it's shit.

I will remind Rym, however (not you Scott I know how you feel already), that you have a financial and egotistical reason to at least entertain my insane ranting considering I'm a supporter on Patreon.
  • Apreche said:

I'm gonna put this out there: NO MORE GODDAMN EVANGELION! I'm not gonna watch it! You will not convince me to watch it now! I want to hear you talk about Avatar: The Last Airbender! I HATE it when Rym says, "Let's watch X and review it," and then Scott basically says, "But... Effort..." so Rym then says, "Or we could review Evangelion for the ∞ time, hur hur hur."

Scott, you're in old man mode already. If you didn't watch it when you were young you think it's shit.

I will remind Rym, however (not you Scott I know how you feel already), that you have a financial and egotistical reason to at least entertain my insane ranting considering I'm a supporter on Patreon.
    Yeah, sure. Like the One Punch Man, the Yowapedal, the Kill la Kill. I only like those because I saw them when I was young, right? Despite it being as old as I am, I didn't watch Fist of the North star until this decade. I guess I don't like that either? Or maybe I was young then? 2011, 2012. Days of wasted youth.

The person who is outright refusing to watch one of the greatest and most significant animated works in all of history has no room to tell me that the reason I'm not watching their favorite show for irrational reasons, such as it being too new.
  • Also ATLA isn't new. It aired between the years of 2004-2006 (maybe '07, I forget).

So...

Yeah.
  • I just think maybe it is time to talk about something else. Rei's corpse has been beaten to a bloody pulp.
  • I just think maybe it is time to talk about something else. Rei's corpse has been beaten to a bloody pulp.

Which one?

Which one?
  • What Scott is saying is just straight up true. (Also fun counterpoint to a thing Scott told me at AB, other "better" podcasts don't inform me about this amazing world of excellent anime)

Thanks to geeknights I just started Utena for the first time and, while I'd love to hear them talk about ATLA, I'm also pretty damn happy getting to watch an amazing show for the first time AND watch the geeknights presents after each one.

To Scott, I say, keep doing what you're doing until such a time comes as I've seen every gourmet chocolate you have, at which point, I'm free to bitch about you not having reviewed ATLA.
  • Same thing I'll say to the rest of you as I've said to Scott - don't go shitting on other people's taste because they don't like what you like. Be cool. People like different stuff.
  • Churba said:

Same thing I'll say to the rest of you as I've said to Scott - don't go shitting on other people's taste because they don't like what you like. Be cool. People like different stuff.

Okay, I realize I was a bit worked up. I'm not shitting on Evangelion. I realize it is probably one of the best animes out there. It's just not my bag. However, I want variety in what I hear from Geeknights, so the suggestion to simply default to talking about Evangelion because Scott doesn't want to put in the time or effort to watch a series is rather frustrating to me. It isn't comparing chocolate to shit in my opinion; its comparing chocolate to vanilla. To derail the analogy briefly I prefer vanilla anyway. Anyway, Scott gushes on and on about chocolate ice cream and wants to keep coming back to it and when someone asks, "well what about vanilla? What's your opinion on that?" He's like, "I've never had it and it's probably shit, get out of my face."
  • I might give it another shot. I tried watching it once and got like 5 episodes in and just didn't really feel like it was going anywhere. It definitely could be that I was right around the corner but I felt like it was just moving a tad slow.
  • Okay, I realize I was a bit worked up. I'm not shitting on Evangelion. I realize it is probably one of the best animes out there. It's just not my bag. However, I want variety in what I hear from Geeknights, so the suggestion to simply default to talking about Evangelion because Scott doesn't want to put in the time or effort to watch a series is rather frustrating to me.

It's cool, man, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Really, it's a common thing among intelligent people. They have an idea, and they can argue really well in defense of that idea, so it can be a struggle to convince them of things that seem to you entirely reasonable - because their arguments are really, really good, and if they have a really good and entirely reasonable argument against it, the thing defeated by that argument can't be reasonable, can it?

CGPGrey is very prone to that sort of thing, to give an example without risk of sounding like I'm shitting on Scott or doing him unfairly - he gets himself into a position on something, and can argue really well for it, to a frustrating degree, even when he's completely and utterly wrong. For example, his arguments demanding the equivalent of General relativity or newton's laws, but for history, brilliant argumentation, but the concept is utterly flawed.
  • Churba said:

His arguments demanding the equivalent of General relativity or newton's laws, but for history, brilliant argumentation, but the concept is utterly flawed.

I don't see how, yet I've only heard one side in this debate, and it's his. Care to point me in the right direction?
  • What is CGPGrey's position here? It sounds interesting.
  • I don't know who CGPGrey is, but I Googled it and I saw a Youtube channel that was bordering on the conspiracy theory nutjob/time cube aesthetic.
  • Apreche said:

I don't know who CGPGrey is, but I Googled it and I saw a Youtube channel that was bordering on the conspiracy theory nutjob/time cube aesthetic.

He's definitely not a nutjob and is actually intelligent.
  • What I've found about CGPGrey is, simply, his videos are 2 things that makes them invaluable.
    1: Incredibly well researched
    2: Concise
    As a result they come out very infrequently but when they do, you can learn in a few minutes about something pretty interesting. Like what's going on with all those EU kinda countries, or how the rules of succession for the papacy work.