This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Panama Papers Please

2»

Comments

• Also, while tax evasion techniques are completely legal loopholes, it just is a thing that no politician would ever want to be caught doing. In Iceland especially, knowing that their leaders were hiding money that would've gotten taxed, especially during an economic crisis, is a huge middle-finger to the population.

While everyone knows that politicians and rich people do tax evasion, unless you can prove exactly what they do, the individual can basically just write you off. But if you can approach a person and ask them why they are doing their absolute best to avoid paying taxes, with real proof? Probably extremely disarming.
  • edited April 2016
    Walt Fucking Disney purchased a bunch of shell companies to buy cheap land in Florida so the owners wouldn't know he was the one doing the buying and jack the price up. We call that Disney World now. I haven't read into it enough to know where the shell companies he used were incorporated, but if it was Delaware or Nevada, then they're just as shady as the ones in Panama are.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • So hiding his interest in order to prevent land owners from understanding the actual value of their land and then swindling it from them far under that value.

Yeah, fuck him.
  • That's become standard practice for any developer trying to get a large continuous piece of land for an office park or mall or somesuch. Otherwise people will hear about the purchases and raise the price waaaaaay up. It lets you get the real estate at market value rather than monopsony-extortion value.
  • Asshole? Definitely. Legally in the right, also yes.

I'm just simply saying this is an example of the SURPRISE BITCHES, use of a shell.
  • Rym said:

So hiding his interest in order to prevent land owners from understanding the actual value of their land and then swindling it from them far under that value.

Yeah, fuck him.

Any different than trying to execute a block trade with minimal slippage?
  • Starfox said:

Rym said:

So hiding his interest in order to prevent land owners from understanding the actual value of their land and then swindling it from them far under that value.

Yeah, fuck him.

Any different than trying to execute a block trade with minimal slippage?
    I frankly think that capital markets as a whole are largely a self-sustaining scam now. Including that.
  • Whoa, that's a... strong statement. Care to expand on that?

I'm guessing something along the lines of "effectively impossible for the vast majority of market participants to become well-informed", but that's a hunch.
  • Not even.

Capital markets are ostensibly to raise capital for a company to form or do something. They're also ostensibly for a person to invest in a part of that.

In practice, these companies have plenty of capital to do whatever they want, no need to ever pay dividends, etc... Most of the investment in the US is driven by the fact that literally every form of retirement (now that pensions are gone) requires continual investment.

Give me one damn reason why Amazon or Google stock is worth what it is, and what one could possibly get from owning it other than expecting it to arbitrarily be worth more later.
  • Hm. So you expect a market correction at some point, because all these BigCos are so overvalued?
  • No. There's no market correction because there's no real market. It will only "correct" if no one needs to "invest" for retirement.
  • Rym said:

Give me one damn reason why Amazon or Google stock is worth what it is, and what one could possibly get from owning it other than expecting it to arbitrarily be worth more later.

At least on paper if you own Google stock, you own part of Google. Thus you have some say in the operations of Google. It being a very large and powerful corporation, owning some of it grants you more power over the course of world events than your right to vote.

The problem of course being that Google is so large and powerful that a normal person can't own a reasonable amount of it to matter. Anyone who can is already rich and powerful.
  • Oh I think I grok now. It's unofficial social security. Totally divorced from the reality of any actual company.

Keynesian beauty contests are old though, how would you fix it? Does it even need fixing?
  • Don't forget about non voting stock, which is the majority of what big companies give to normal people. Gives you financial interest in their course of operations but exactly, not practically, or in practice only, but in theory also, 0 ability to influence their direction.
  • Naoza said:

Don't forget about non voting stock, which is the majority of what big companies give to normal people. Gives you financial interest in their course of operations but exactly, not practically, or in practice only, but in theory also, 0 ability to influence their direction.

If you buy stock like a normal person, via e-trade or Scottrade, you get to vote on the board of directors and such. You just don't have enough shares, so whatever the board suggests is what happens. The shares in your 401k or your IRA are the ones where you can't vote. That's really the worst because it means whoever manages that 401k, be it your company, Fidelity, Vanguard, Prudential, etc. votes with your money the way THEY want to vote.
  • Google has two tiers of stock. If you buy the pleb shares, you don't even get votes.
  • Rym said:

Google has two tiers of stock. If you buy the pleb shares, you don't even get votes.

At least there isn't GOOG.A and GOOG.B.
  • edited April 2016
    Google actually has three tiers - one tier is non-publicly-traded super-stock with 10 votes per share so that the Google founders can keep a controlling interest in the company.
    I'm just salty because I joined after the stock split and so only get pleb shares.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Google has two tiers of stock. If you buy the pleb shares, you don't even get votes.

At least there isn't GOOG.A and GOOG.B.
    I'm curious as to what you mean by that. There are lots of different classes and tiers of stock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_stock

• Made a lot of money on that split. Was very happy with the appreciation.
  • only crosscut shredding and ash debris remains
  • https://panamapapers.icij.org/

Searchable database about to go online.