This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym vs Scott: Civilization V

Comments

• Cremlian said:

Hmmm I just think for China unless that Citadel is like vital, you are better off with the 30% boost the great General gives your army.

It's vital because I needed my units to survive the trek over the mountains. I need a place for a catapult to stand and survive for more than one turn. I also need my units to be able to heal more because they are in my territory as they go over. Also, it prevents Rym from putting any of his units in the vicinity, as it automatically damages them to be near the citadel. I didn't realize all the things a Citadel did on the first go. Now that I did, I realized it was exactly what I needed.

Also, before I built it, I checked to make sure a new general was coming right up in the rear. It was so few points away.

The eventual plan was to use a second citadel to steal the iron to the SouthEast after conquering Foxton(Memphis), but he surrendered before I got a chance. Thankfully I had horses to make up for my lack of Iron. Without those Kniggits, I would have just lost the game.
  • Son, I am pride.
  • Yea I didn't realize till just now you could steal territory from city-states with it!
  • Cremlian said:

Yea I didn't realize till just now you could steal territory from city-states with it!

It'll piss them off just shy of going to war with you.

• And if they do decide to go to war, there's now a citadel to contend with.
  • Fun fact: a citadel next to an enemy city will damage the city's garrison every turn.

Against AIs in large games, I have more than once saved up 4-5 Great Generals and built a line of territory right to their capitol.
  • That's mean.
  • It's pretty hard to get a citadel directly next to an enemy city. You can only build it adjacent to your own borders. Your own borders won't culturally expand within one hex of an enemy city unless you settler-bombed them quite early. The only scenario where you can typically get a citadel directly adjacent to an enemy city is if you use two citadels. Seems like it's probably not worth it.
  • If someone tries to push me with a citadel I focus on clearing and pillaging it asap.

From the other side, this is why it's always a good idea to send workers forward with your concentrated attacks. If you are making a committed push, your workers should be building roads behind the front lines. Bonus: if the city ends up yours, you get a connection right away.
  • If someone tries to push me with a citadel I focus on clearing and pillaging it asap.

From the other side, this is why it's always a good idea to send workers forward with your concentrated attacks. If you are making a committed push, your workers should be building roads behind the front lines. Bonus: if the city ends up yours, you get a connection right away.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of building a road over the mountain. That would have worked quite nicely.

Also, I wasn't afraid of the citadel getting pillaged because I had enough units to keep it perpetually occupied. Also, the only way Rym was killing the unit inside was a ranged attack, and he couldn't kill that unit and also move another unit up the hill in the same turn. Hills go both ways.
  • If I'm in a real war in a big game, I have workers building roads and forts following the army the whole way.
  • Rym said:

If I'm in a real war in a big game, I have workers building roads and forts following the army the whole way.

I never built a fort. How does that work?
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

If I'm in a real war in a big game, I have workers building roads and forts following the army the whole way.

I never built a fort. How does that work?
    Forts are a tile improvement and provide a mountain's worth of defense for friendly units.
  • Forts can also be built anywhere: they're not limited to your territory.

I often build forts a little ways out into my frontiers and station, like, a pikeman in them.
  • Rym said:

Forts can also be built anywhere: they're not limited to your territory.

I often build forts a little ways out into my frontiers and station, like, a pikeman in them.

How do forts interact with the rough terrain/flat terrain unit upgrades?

How do you usually pick your unit upgrades? I mostly stick to the rough/flat boosts based on the map.
  • edited May 2016
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

They both apply; forts are a defensive bonus, and the rough/flat terrain unit upgrades are offensive bonuses.

That said, even if they were the same kind of bonus, they would just stack the way most things in Civ 5 do; as an additive percentage.
    Apreche said:

How do you usually pick your unit upgrades? I mostly stick to the rough/flat boosts based on the map.

That's often the thing to do.

That said, don't discount the instant healing non-upgrade; it's not infrequently the better choice. Also, you would usually want to have a couple of melee units with Cover (defence against ranged), and probably one or two with Medic.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you are in a middle of an attack, Instant heal is best, otherwise it depends what your unit is doing. Sometimes its good to get the resistance to range attacks if it's a city attacking unit!
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

They stack, of course.

That said, forts are a defensive bonus, and the rough/flat terrain unit upgrades are offensive bonuses.
    I think you misunderstand my question. Does a fort make the terrain rough? If it's on a flat terrain, does my anti-flat terrain bonus still apply when attacking it?
  • edited May 2016
    Improvements don't change the terrain type of the tile, so yes.

Similarly, if you place a fort on a hill, you get the +25% for the hill in addition to +50% for the fort.
  • Improvements don't change the terrain type of the tile, so yes.

Ok, I was confused because someone said it provides a "mountain's worth of defense."
  • edited May 2016
    Technically it would be a double mountain of defense, since mountain tiles only have a +25% modifier. Citadels are +100% (a quadruple mountain?), which is pretty awesome.
  • Technically it would be a double mountain of defense, since mountain tiles only have a +25% modifier. Citadels are +100%, which is pretty awesome.

100%? Then how did Rym kill that catapult in there so easily?
  • Catapults have shitty defense, and they actually don't benefit from defensive bonuses from the tile they're on: citadels don't work with siege weapons.
  • Yea, i was amused by your Catapult in the citadel which is actually why I asked why you made it when you have enhanced Great Generals. :-p
  • Catapults have shitty defense, and they actually don't benefit from defensive bonuses from the tile they're on: citadels don't work with siege weapons.

That makes no sense. Rocks being thrown at you from a catapult in the middle of a field are no different than rocks flying out of this gigantic fortress? I would think the citadel's catapults are a bit harder to attack, no?
  • I assume it's primarily a matter of game balance.

For cavalry and siege units the game explicitly states "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" as one of their abilities.
  • I assume it's primarily a matter of game balance.

For cavalry and siege units the game explicitly states "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" as one of their abilities.

Horses also? Well, at least I can put my archer in there.

What about a chariot archer? Is that cavalry?
  • edited May 2016
  • Many units like horsemen have a penalty when attacking cities as well.
  • How does the garrison unit contribute to city defense? I've noticed that after I get a city's health bar down to zero, moving a unit into the city will conquer it and the garrisoned unit will disappear.