This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When did "magic: the gathering" jump the shark?

13»

Comments

• Magic had a problem around Fallen Empires where it could have died for money reasons as far as I can gather. It was sort of petering out.

Then it bounced hard and rose to a high, consistent level of interest and play basically forever after.

I only was ever annoyed by it when it would consume huge swaths of tabletop at conventions, those people being there basically only to play Magic. But that seems to be falling by the wayside.

If anything kills magic, it'll be things like Hearthstone.
  • edited May 2016
    Rym said:

Magic had a problem around Fallen Empires where it could have died for money reasons as far as I can gather. It was sort of petering out.

Then it bounced hard and rose to a high, consistent level of interest and play basically forever after.

I only was ever annoyed by it when it would consume huge swaths of tabletop at conventions, those people being there basically only to play Magic. But that seems to be falling by the wayside.

If anything kills magic, it'll be things like Hearthstone.

A lot of people dropped the game after Chronicles. Back then WotC had no rules about reprinting cards. Chronicles was the first major reprint of some older cards and it tanked the prices. Collectors got pissed and cashed out. What's the point of paying 5000$ for an Alpha Black Lotus if they're just going to reprint it?

WotC responded with the Reserve List. It's a list of cards they they promise to never reprint. This stabilized the card prices for collectors: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Reserved_List

Economics are a big difference between MTG and Netrunner. I can buy a box of MTG, sit it on a shelf for 2 years, and likely turn a profit. I can go out an buy every Netrunner card ever with little hassle, and you can too.

I think WotC is doing more of it's own events and not so much activity at other conventions.

MTG or MTG online isn't going anywhere even with Hearthstone. People will play both with only an few totally committing to one or the other.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I don't know enough about MTG to know if this is the case or not, but I tend to assume it is unless proven otherwise.