This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Brexit

Comments

• Exactly, UK (possibly just England at the end of this) will be made an example of)
  • It was economic suicide to call the referendum in the first place.
  • edited June 2016
    Andrew said:
    ;_;

Edit: Still some hope for mitigating the long term damages, though.
    The Handelsblatt newspaper said a leaked eight-page emergency Brexit plan suggested the German government should push for an “associative status” for Britain after two years of “difficult divorce negotiations”.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So my job is to dress up as a British Soldier occupying Boston c. 1768 doing a changing of the guards ceremony at tourist traps. Staying in character is difficult when your character lives in a time where Great Britain is the most powerful force in the world and they're asking about a Britain that doesn't even have most of Ireland anymore. There wasn't even a cohesive Germany in 1768. I wound up just saying "after this morning it was pretty clear we needed to reclaim the colonies" but that felt like a bit of a cop out.
  • Andrew said:
    This is exactly why this process takes 2 years, so everyone can chill the fuck out.
  • Here is a road to a second "ohwedonefuckedup" referendum.

https://waitingfortax.com/2016/06/24/when-i-say-no-i-mean-maybe/
  • So, I had lunch with a bunch of high powered people, including someone with deep ties to Greece on a political/business level. George Takei was also there.

The well-connected consider it a disaster that the vote succeeded, regardless of if a full break actually happens. The markets reacted because the damage was done.
  • edited June 2016
    Do you regularly have lunch with George Takei?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • RymRym
    edited June 2016

Do you regularly have lunch with George Takei?

No, but I had frequented one of his favorite restaurants. I hadn't been in a while, and literally the first time I went back in a while, he's there. (There being hilariously vulgar).

I sort of knew him through ConnectiCon, and I know the chef, and the chef knew him independently, and that was that.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • On the bright side, at least its something bad that didn't happen in America this time.
  • On the bright side, at least it's something bad racist that didn't happen in America this time.

FTFY
  • And on the pedestal these words appear:

"We send the EU £350 million a week..."
  • Dazzle369 said:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"We send the EU £350 million a week..."

That's another thing that happened almost immediately - basically every big claim made by the "Leave" campaigners has been walked back with so much haste, you can hear the tiny cracks like rifle fire as spineless politicians break the sound barrier backwards.
  • I've been laughing all day watching this horrible mess unfold.

The interviews of leave voters will make you cringe so bad. Especially the ones who say the regret voting leave.

The 'debates' have been a complete shamble since day 1. I think it's a miracle if anyone made a rational decision based on the arguments of the campaigns.

...America, you're in my prayers.
  • edited June 2016
    Nobody's posted this yet so if you, like me, want to watch a comedian explain wtf is going on in a digestible way, enjoy:
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • So if everyone in the London-based financial sector moves to Frankfurt, what does London have going for their economy? Do they become New Detroit?
  • So if everyone in the London-based financial sector moves to Frankfurt, what does London have going for their economy? Do they become New Detroit?

There are still people whose job it will be to manage finance between the UK and some other country. But people who manage finance between some country and the EU need to move. Likewise, a bunch of new jobs will be created to manage finance between the UK and EU.
  • From what I remember when working in the UK, there are a bunch of EU nationals who work in professional positions, being even less empowered, would they not return to their own countries or move their companies back to an EU country?

UKIP sounds like the Australia's OneNation party except the latter is a joke over here, the one guy who turns up at my polling place stopped showing up after I dumped all his leaflets in the bin a few years back.
  • Daikun said:
    Not really, though. A bunch of right wing wierdos who don't really represent their countries have said they want to, but you shouldn't really take them seriously.
  • Churba said:

Daikun said:
    Not really, though. A bunch of right wing wierdos who don't really represent their countries have said they want to, but you shouldn't really take them seriously.
    You mean like the British right wing weirdos that no one took seriously?
  • Churba said:

Daikun said:
    You mean like the British right wing weirdos that no one took seriously?
    The British vote was conflated with quite a few factors that do not apply to the other EU nations. Most of the uneducated British public also felt like they were separated enough from the EU that it wouldn't matter.
  • Literally have a malfunctioning government right now. MPs on the leave side have no formal plan.

We should be implementing 'something' at this moment, but as far as I can tell from the net is nothing but internal conflicts all around.

It's possible we're still in the EU indefinitely, while giving the economy a spasm.
  • Yeah, more or less.

• The Labour party is actually reconstructing, but I don't know to what end. I'm just glad something is happening right now.

Corbyn has alot of weight on his shoulders right now, I don't know if he can manage. I don't think any one person should be able to manage. He needs real support from people who have a clear vision of what needs to be done, and how to do it. Do those people exist?
  • My second passport has the potential to become a great deal less useful if this does actually go ahead as indicated...