This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Yeah, after fight practice last night, we walked into Schenectady Central Park, and I found 6 members of Team BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD doing that exact thing to a gym.

I just, like, facerolled the gym, but before I could staff it, they put trash bullshit back in there. Pain in my ass.

So I found this group of 5 Team Feels and said, "Listen, those guys are putting up bullshit and I can't get through. Can you just steamroll 'em?" And they were like, "We don't like you, Team Blueyourself, but better dead than Red. We got you fam."

I may have embellished somewhat, but I never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Anyhow, it's actually wicked fucking annoying, because you can basically just spam your way back into a gym I just worked to take. So then I have to basically roll the rosters of 6 fuckin' dudes just to hold the stupid gym.

This is actually kind of wicked fun.
  • Anyhow, it's actually wicked fucking annoying

Precisely what I was going for, excellent. I've seen this guy around, he basically just rolls around at midnight, takes every gym in the area, and then sticks absurd pokes in it(Right now, it's a 1500+ charizard, backed by an 800-ish Tanglea). Also been seen driving about at under 15km/h during the daytime, just hatching pokes for dust and xp, holding up traffic - the picture of an asshole. Every player I've met in the area hates the fucker, even the other blues, because mouths off at other players, is generally a rude asshole, never backs anyone up, he just waits till it flips(or flips it himself) and takes the gym. Being able to annoy the local asshole brightens my day immensely. Zero fucks given, my only regret is that I didn't have more trash pokes to waste his time with.

• Post-level 10, your only real choice for leveling up at any reasonable speed is to save all of your evolutions for just before all your eggs hatch at the same time. Right before that happens, though, pop one of those lucky eggs for double XP. Should be an easy several thousand XP, plus whatever you can get for the next 30 min while the double XP timer is running.
  • I don't quite get the progression of this game. Are you supposed to just keep catching the same Pokemon and selling them?
  • MATATAT said:

I don't quite get the progression of this game. Are you supposed to just keep catching the same Pokemon and selling them?

Yeah, it's only like the first 1/8 of a pokemon game, it's weird.
  • Yeah, that's sort of the standard mobile-game gatchapon arrangement - you get cards (pokemon) randomly and so eventually you have lots and lots of dupes, so you consume duplicate cards (pokemon) in order to give your favorite ones bigger numbers.
  • I heard that Google is developing a computer that can beat the worlds best Pokemon Go players.
  • MATATAT said:

I don't quite get the progression of this game. Are you supposed to just keep catching the same Pokemon and selling them?

That's how you get candy, but at some point you'll have way more than you can use effectively. Stardust is the biggest chokepoint in getting your Pokes powered up, and that comes most abundantly from hatching, evolving, and holding gyms.

Gyms are an excellent source of Stardust, if you can find or make an opening in a friendly gym.
  • At what point does Nintendo go evil, and start offering advertising services based on this game?

"Hey, throw us some money and we'll make sure your location(s) are Super Effective Pokestops or Gyms. Provide us with some coupons and we'll even throw them at our users when they get there."

Does that kill the game?
  • I think they already do that.
  • I think they already do that.

Yes and no. Niantic already does that with Ingress - businesses can pay to have their locations added as portals - but AFAIK, it doesn't involve increased effectiveness, it's basically just "people visiting your location serves as advertising." However, they don't currently do it with pokemon, unless you count the fact that portals-to-stops/gyms are cross-added basically instantly.
  • So if I put one of my Pokemons in a gym to defend and that gym gets defeated, what happens to my donated Pokemon? Do I get it back?
  • Churba said:

I think they already do that.

Yes and no. Niantic already does that with Ingress - businesses can pay to have their locations added as portals - but AFAIK, it doesn't involve increased effectiveness, it's basically just "people visiting your location serves as advertising." However, they don't currently do it with pokemon, unless you count the fact that portals-to-stops/gyms are cross-added basically instantly.
    Um... http://www.inc.com/walter-chen/pok-mon-go-is-driving-insane-amounts-of-sales-at-small-local-businesses-here-s-h.html
  • Rochelle said:

So if I put one of my Pokemons in a gym to defend and that gym gets defeated, what happens to my donated Pokemon? Do I get it back?

It comes back with 1 HP.
  • That's fair. I was about to say that if they disappeared, that'd be some serious bullshit.
  • Pokemon Go is go in Europe.
  • There's a coffee shop I go to here that has a pokestop right out front of the store, the owner kept the pokestop going with the lure modules all day long, the number of people hanging out was insane

• In honor of Pokemon's 20'th anniversary. They're bringing back an old topic.
  • The best response to haters:

• So this could also go in fail of your booyah, but T-Mobile is going to make Pokemon Go not count against your data usage, in probably the most blatant disregard of net neutrality to date.
  • A second body was found by a player the other day, this time in my hometown. I recently went geocaching right near where this happened, too.

http://www.wmur.com/news/body-in-nashua-reportedly-found-by-pokemon-go-player/40712182
  • This is an interesting disregard for Net Neutrality. It's one in the consumer's favour. It will be wholly unopposed and possibly used as anti net neutrality evidence for why we don't need it. Kind of an interesting problem, I've never thought about attacks on net neutrality in the consumer's favor.
  • Naoza said:

This is an interesting disregard for Net Neutrality. It's one in the consumer's favour. It will be wholly unopposed and possibly used as anti net neutrality evidence for why we don't need it. Kind of an interesting problem, I've never thought about attacks on net neutrality in the consumer's favor.

It's not necessarily in the consumer's favor. Basically, if you are a T-Mobile customer their lack of neutrality heavily encourages you for choosing to use the apps which they happen to give free data for, which effectively punishes you for choosing other options. It's almost like a punishment for playing Hearthstone instead of Pokemon Go.

Also, check this shit out.

http://www.howtogeek.com/238409/how-to-prevent-t-mobile-from-throttling-youtube-videos/
  • Juliane's iPhone 5 is struggling with the game while my iPhone 6 is singing, which is causing much sadness.
  • I see what you mean, I guess it's just very clever deception on their part. Gotta educate the public so we don't vote our way into bs.
  • My Nexus 5X struggles mightily with the AR, but that phone is a mess. Underpowered from the start, and it knocks itself down into low-performance modes due to overheating issues resulting from poor design. And the phone is riddled with camera software bugs, so it's a real double whammy. The game is just better without the AR camera on, but I do miss out on taking a funny pick here and there when I switch it in.

My wife and I are in deep, as are many friends. Been playing regularly, and up to level 15 now.
  • One more, mainly sharing due to fake pokes

• Matt said:

My Nexus 5X struggles mightily with the AR, but that phone is a mess.

I'm not having issues on my 5X. It works just fine for me. Gets a touch warm, but the game runs just fine.