This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym vs Scott: Civilization V

Comments

• It increases it's defense value not it's health.
  • edited May 2016
    Apparently it adds something like 20% of the unit's combat strength to the city's combat strength.

Thus the city will do more damage when bombarding, and more damage when retaliating against melee units.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • You can also attack with the unit - the city won't have the unit's additional strength when defending during your opponent's turn, but they won't be able to kill the garrisoned unit until they capture the city.
  • Apreche said:

Catapults have shitty defense, and they actually don't benefit from defensive bonuses from the tile they're on: citadels don't work with siege weapons.

That makes no sense. Rocks being thrown at you from a catapult in the middle of a field are no different than rocks flying out of this gigantic fortress? I would think the citadel's catapults are a bit harder to attack, no?
    Suddenly the Archer-Bazooka units are way more useful. You don't move them out of the hex to attack and they get terrain defensive bonuses.

As for promotions, if I don't need the heal right away. For infantry it depends on how hilly the terrain is. Lots of hills, I'll go for rough terrain. Otherwise, I'll go for open terrain since the hexes immediately adjacent to a developed city are usually open terrain.

Ranged units, I usually go for a combination of Rough Terrain and city attack bonus. The reasoning is that I'm usually trying to dislodge a particularly fortified enemy.
  • Short update with episode 6. (I was ill with the flu). The stage is set for what will either be a heroic turnabout, or the end of the game.

• Where did all those extra units come from?
  • Apreche said:

Where did all those extra units come from?

Right before I recorded this one, someone told me that they explained to Scott how a bunch of things (like the Demographics window) work in Civ V... ;)

Part 07
  • Was that me? is that how long ago that game was?
  • Cremlian said:

Was that me? is that how long ago that game was?

It was primarily you, yes. ;^)

We're well into a third game.
  • Game three.

• RymRym
    edited June 2016
    Where is Babylon?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Where the hell is Scott?
  • hmmmm I gotta do the reload my turn more in multiplayer, I actually considered that cheating in multiplayer so didn't ever do it. But clearly, other people don't feel that way :-p "I could expose the map and then reload and get something good". That's clearly cheating. I mean the game allows you to do that... but it clearly wasn't meant for you to be able to do.
  • Cremlian said:

hmmmm I gotta do the reload my turn more in multiplayer, I actually considered that cheating in multiplayer so didn't ever do it. But clearly, other people don't feel that way :-p

I took a hard line and never did that in the big game, or in the first games against Scott.

Then he told me that he does it every turn...

I still have never done it in the big game, except once when I moved a unit to the wrong place by accident.

But I'll do it against Scott because I know he'll do it against me.

• When you create a Civ game there is a setting called "new random seed". You have to make sure this setting is OFF.

If it is turned on, then the game will generate a new random seed every time you reload. That means someone can theoretically keep reloading until their archer miraculously one-shots you. That's cheating.

If it is turned off, the random seed is generated once at the start of the game. Your archer will do the same damage no matter how many times you reload.

And even though I'm reloading, the only aspect of it that could be considered unfair is the information gained from fog of war. That's really not much of an issue considering how tiny the map is. There are not really any surprises.

Most of the time I reload it's just experimentation. Think of it like Blokus. I'm taking some pieces and seeing where they fit without taking my hand off of them.

I think a bigger problem is that the game itself is broken even if I never reload. Whenever I press next turn I hear the audio cues form the start of Rym's turn. I know every science he has discovered.
  • That's actually a huge deal in the beginning of the game, you could theoretically move your scout in a bunch of different directions and see if you can maximize your hut gaining speed possibly grab a hut before the other player who is in the area. In War, you could pretty much test out every combat outcome within a turn.
  • Cremlian said:

That's actually a huge deal in the beginning of the game, you could theoretically move your scout in a bunch of different directions and see if you can maximize your hut gaining speed possibly grab a hut before the other player who is in the area. In War, you could pretty much test out every combat outcome within a turn.

Even if you did move your warrior all 6 directions on turn 1, it wouldn't make a significant difference. You can't move your warrior any further per-turn. The ruins are still hidden. You aren't going to get more ruins than you would have the normal way.

As far as trying every combat scenario, what's wrong with that? If it was a board game, you could sit there and do the math on every possible combat outcome and then choose the one you think is best. This is just having the computer make the process faster.
  • Yea turn two though you can start trying different directions and find the huts.

I view having the combat resolving as taking your hand off the piece :-p
  • Cremlian said:

Yea turn two though you can start trying different directions and find the huts.

Only if you set the random seed option incorrectly. Otherwise, the combat is effectively deterministic.
  • edited June 2016
    Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

Yea turn two though you can start trying different directions and find the huts.

Only if you set the random seed option incorrectly. Otherwise, the combat is effectively deterministic.
    It's still bad, because you can order your combat actions within a turn to, for instance, give your highest-damage units the attacks with the best seeds.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

It's still bad, because you can order your combat actions within a turn to, for instance, give your highest-damage units the attacks with the best seeds.
    There's not much difference there. You always use ranged attacks first, since there is no retaliatory damage there. A weakened unit does less counter-attack damage when your melee unit goes for it.
  • Or you could retreat if you don't like the outcome and delay the combat after seeing the results
  • Part 10. Scott describes the rise of Babylon.

• The battle for the Great Library

• Turns through 131!

• If you titled these videos "Game 3, video 1" way more people will be willing to jump in, as these current names make people think they have to start at video 1.
  • Newest video is too long.
  • Apreche said:

Newest video is too long.

Way too long. Once I realized I wasn't going to see Scott point of view I skipped forwards in 10 minute chunks and didn't feel like I learned anything new about the game.
  • edited August 2016
    I watched one minute. Looked at the time total, then closed the window.
    Post edited by Apreche on