This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Captain Sonar

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the fantastic Captain Sonar. We're back from PAX West, Rym's back from Utah, and we're ready to return to our regular schedule! The Omegathon Finale was a sequel to the last one, Apple Day both giveth Mario, and taketh away headphone jacks. Downtown Seattle does not have delivery pizza. Pokemon GO enables the lollipop farm even as the player base walks away.

Support GeekNights on Patreon!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited September 2016
    I'm interested what "Downtown Seattle does not have delivery pizza" means because it certainly does. All the pizza places are on Capitol Hill but they'll definitely deliver to areas around the convention center. Or there's a couple places in Belltown.

Also, SLC is not really a city you want to live in most likely. I will say it is good if you like biking/snowboarding/skiing, but the tradeoff of living in UT is not worth it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I've ordered pizza from basically every place that delivers to the convention center. They were all barely edible. Edible, but not good at all. Local people, however, said that they were the "good" delivery places.

I've made this mistake like 6 times. I will never make it again. Sit down pizza only at PAX West.
  • I think it depends, there are a couple ones I can think that are bad and some that are good. Although to be honest the one place I can think of that is supposedly the closest you can get to NYC pizza in Seattle I'm not sure if they deliver at all. But my impression has been that there's generally a bias of New Yorkers towards pizza that isn't NYC pizza. Or at least several of my friends from NY/NJ area mostly dislike every pizza place in Seattle.
  • MATATAT said:

I think it depends, there are a couple ones I can think that are bad and some that are good. Although to be honest the one place I can think of that is supposedly the closest you can get to NYC pizza in Seattle I'm not sure if they deliver at all. But my impression has been that there's generally a bias of New Yorkers towards pizza that isn't NYC pizza. Or at least several of my friends from NY/NJ area mostly dislike every pizza place in Seattle.

Have you had real NYC pizza?
  • edited September 2016
    I have not, which is why I'm basing it off people's impressions I know who have. But also the descriptions of NYC pizza I hear I'm not sure if I would like it. I mean I probably would because I just like pizza in general, but the descriptions I've heard of why people like it don't sound particularly appealing to me. But it always strikes me as odd that people describe it as leagues better than any other pizza. I find that hard to believe.
  • MATATAT said:

I have not, which is why I'm basing it off people's impressions I know who have. But also the descriptions of NYC pizza I hear I'm not sure if I would like it. I mean I probably would because I just like pizza in general, but the descriptions I've heard of why people like it don't sound particularly appealing to me. But it always strikes me as odd that people describe it as leagues better than any other pizza. I find that hard to believe.

I've never had real truffles, but it strikes me as odd people describe it as leagues better than any other food. I find it hard to believe.

NOT.

I know real truffles are fucking delicious and I want to eat them very badly.

I've never had tacos in California or Mexico, but I know they are way better than the tacos elsewhere.

I've never had a croissant in Paris, but I know it's better than the croissant at the NY breakfast place.

The NY pizza is no different.
  • edited September 2016
    Well I certainly want to see what all the hubbub is about.

So actually the question I have is are there pizza places you should avoid in NYC?
  • MATATAT said:

Well I certainly want to see what all the hubbub is about.

So actually the question I have is are there pizza places you should avoid in NYC?

Of course! NYC is huge and has thousands of places you can acquire pizza of various shapes, sizes, varieties, and qualities. Only some of those provide actual NYC pizza.
  • Actual NYC pizza isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • Just like their bagels. XD
  • Rochelle said:

Just like their bagels. XD

You've taken this to a dangerous place. Please retract those words.
  • edited September 2016
    The best bagel place I've found in the Seattle area is Blazing Bagels and unfortunately there aren't more of them. That salt bagel is fucking delicious.
  • edited September 2016
    I like pizza as much as the next person but when traveling to a major city. I like to try the cuisines the city is know for. Seattle being its seafood and asian food. Oh and I heard Dicks burgers are pretty good too.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • They didn't talk about Thursday night. :3
  • I love reading the Yelp reviews for Dicks because it's just a bunch of people from California comparing it to In-n-Out Burger and saying In-n-Out is better. Guess what? They're both shitty hamburgers. And In-n-Out is not magically better in that category. It's equally shitty.

Don't get me wrong, I love eating both, but it's just hilarious how people are arguing which poop is better.
  • MATATAT said:

I love reading the Yelp reviews for Dicks because it's just a bunch of people from California comparing it to In-n-Out Burger and saying In-n-Out is better. Guess what? They're both shitty hamburgers. And In-n-Out is not magically better in that category. It's equally shitty.

Don't get me wrong, I love eating both, but it's just hilarious how people are arguing which poop is better.

Having not ever eaten In-N-Out I assume it's basically Shake Shack. Good, but overrated.
  • Scott! How do you not know Ecstasy of Gold:

Spoilers, I guess.
  • I know it. I've seen that movie at least 10 times.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I love reading the Yelp reviews for Dicks because it's just a bunch of people from California comparing it to In-n-Out Burger and saying In-n-Out is better. Guess what? They're both shitty hamburgers. And In-n-Out is not magically better in that category. It's equally shitty.

Having not ever eaten In-N-Out I assume it's basically Shake Shack. Good, but overrated.
    Yeah I've never been to a Shake Shack but judging from pictures it looks similar. There are a ton of of them in Cali but I've never actually been to a Cali In-N-Out. I've been to one in Salt Lake and St. George (southern UT) but yeah it's just sort of an average shitty burger. The kind of thing where you can get like a couple of them for 6 bucks. The one thing that tends to be different between them and Dicks is they're less greasy than Dicks. But I kinda feel like if you're gonna go down that route then you have to be prepared for the grease.
  • Now remember, I'm not even holding stupid "New York Pizza" (tm) on a pedestal here. Pretend New York doesn't exist. Seattle's downtown still falls far below even the midline bar of average regular old delivery. It was in the same realm as a Pizza Hut pizza. Slightly better, sure, but in the same region.

I've had great pizza in Seattle, but every time in a restaurant and not delivered. The problem is specifically delivery pizza downtown.
  • I'd choose Pizza Hut over the delivery we got on Sunday. That pizza was Domino's tier.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2016
    pence said:

I'd choose Pizza Hut over the delivery we got on Sunday. That pizza was Domino's tier.

Damn, son.

I was trying to be diplomatic about it, but since you've thrown the gloves down...

I'd actually have rather had Domino's.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2016
    In the shit tier pizza level

Pizza hut < Papa John's < Domino's

The only winning move is to order sides (pasta, breadsticks, wings).
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • The pizza I ordered was decent. Your guy's pizza looked hella greasy vs mine.

That's what you get for not including me on the pizza order as you originally intended. Karma has punished you.
  • edited September 2016
    Even among mediocre pizza there is going to be vast differences that could cause you to like it or dislike it more than the other mediocre pizza. Like did your Pizza come from a business started by a crazy conservative :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited September 2016
    I don't have anything to back this up. But I feel that the majority of Mom and Pop pizza places in the US don't do delivery. You have do carry out or eat at the place. Because of this most folks are stuck with ordering from a pizza restaurant chain. So the bar is set pretty low when local Mom and Pop pizza places do delivery.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Captain sonar sounds like lot of fun. I'm not sure I can get together enough friends to play it though. Four is easy for board games, but eight together means we're doing something else.
  • The only reason anyone would order pizza hut is if a person had a serious lapse of judgement in a situation where said person was already in a position to not be making decisions. The last (and last) time we let a friend join the dinner roulette, it became an event.

There's something to be said about the quality of a pizza if nobody went for a second slice. First thing anyone noticed was that the sausage tasted of mint toothpaste, not sausage mixed with, just mint. Eventually we saw gatherings of granulated sugar on the crust before realizing that it must have been baked with dish soap. It must have been a culinary feat to completely change the flavor of every ingredient on a pizza, not even the cheese was safe.
  • On the Seattle delivery pizza issue, I fully agree with the east coasters. I have never ordered a pizza for delivery in Seattle because I know they are all crap. I only eat them because I'm hungry and other people let me have it. Just about the only non-sit-down pizza I like is MOD. Otherwise it's sit-down pizza or bust.