This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome (Summer) Games Done Quick thread

12346»

Comments

• Tetris time!
  • These Bethesda games are pretty neat to watch. The Skyrim one was just wacky and completely bug filled.
  • Blind Relay Super Mario Maker Race INITIATED
  • Strongly recommend watching the Super Mario Maker segment on Youtube if you weren't watching it live. That shit was nuts.
  • Strongly recommend watching the Super Mario Maker segment on Youtube if you weren't watching it live. That shit was nuts.

I liked the level by level race format this time, rather than each level going direct to the next in an unbroken line for each team like last time.
  • Any other recommendations to catch up? I watched the Mario Maker race, the Tetris TGM demo, and the Super Meat Boy dark ending. Nothing else caught me eye.
  • edited July 2016
    You definitely should watch the Momodora run - it's a one-handed run by a disabled gamer, very sweet. Also Pepsiman.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • The glitchless OoT run was really good, avoid super metroid since the race didn't have a good payoff. The surprise so far was the Bethesda block of the fallout and Oblivian games.
  • Going to skim through their videos for some other ones to recommend.
    - There were a couple Bad Games Done Quick with good commentary and couch interaction: The Rapid Angel, Crystal's Pony Tale, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure, and arguably Trine 3
    - Catherine was really impressive whenever you remembered that the very good movement from both characters was being done by one person
    - The last half hour of the Pokemon Red race was much better than I was expecting
    - Despite not being Tetris, the Tetris Attack race was fairly good
    - Trials Fusion was a bit nuts
    - DKC: Tropical Freeze was a relay race and was pretty cool

Those were the ones I enjoyed from what I've watched so far.
  • edited July 2016
    I just remembered I watched the Catherine run live. That's why it wasn't in my YouTube history so I forgot about it. But yeah, very impressive as its a procedural puzzle game, not just memorizing moves.

I also watched part of the Tropical Freeze race, but didn't find it that interesting.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I wanted to watch the Mario 3D World run. Sounded like it might be cool.
  • Small drama in the GDQ world that is going on.

Run in question

• Points to Bonesaw for accepting it and straight up saying don't be an angry mob. GDQ should explain though.
  • I watched a bit of this to see the drama. I was waiting for him to do something bad, but he didn't. At least not in the thirty seconds I could tolerate listening to such a YouTube shoutyman. Holy shit is that guy obnoxious. Shut the fuck up and talk about your run. You aren't funny. If I was king of GDQ I'd ban him for life just because I don't like him.
  • While I think it's silly for GDQ to decide to stop swearing from occurring in their event, I also understand it's partially pressure from the charities they are organizing for. Furthermore, it seems like everyone knew about this before GDQ occurred this year, as I heard people talking about it, so it's not like people weren't warned.

Also, they mention that he's only banned until 2018. So, ultimately, I think the ban is pretty fair.
  • Apreche said:

I watched a bit of this to see the drama. I was waiting for him to do something bad, but he didn't. At least not in the thirty seconds I could tolerate listening to such a YouTube shoutyman. Holy shit is that guy obnoxious. Shut the fuck up and talk about your run. You aren't funny. If I was king of GDQ I'd ban him for life just because I don't like him.

I agree I much prefer the runs where the runner says "now we put the bucket over here like this and the credits run because of x, y, and z", but they should at least tell him why he was banned.
  • Apreche said:

I watched a bit of this to see the drama. I was waiting for him to do something bad, but he didn't. At least not in the thirty seconds I could tolerate listening to such a YouTube shoutyman. Holy shit is that guy obnoxious. Shut the fuck up and talk about your run. You aren't funny. If I was king of GDQ I'd ban him for life just because I don't like him.

I agree I much prefer the runs where the runner says "now we put the bucket over here like this and the credits run because of x, y, and z", but they should at least tell him why he was banned.
    Yes. Everyone should be told why they are punished. How can they correct themselves otherwise?
  • Remember: Child's Play has had very similar problems due to the fact that the Penny Arcade comic exists.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Yes. Everyone should be told why they are punished. How can they correct themselves otherwise?
    Thinking about it though, a big part of why I like those kind of runs, and I would guess your reasoning is similar, is that I understand the jargon and enjoy seeing behind the scenes. If someone doesn't understand I can see where those runs would be boring.
  • Rym said:

Remember: Child's Play has had very similar problems due to the fact that the Penny Arcade comic exists.

• New WR for SMB

• I assume the record record is TAS, right? How far are the humans off that time?
  • Starfox said:

I assume the record record is TAS, right? How far are the humans off that time?

Depends on the TAS rules. I think the true SMB TAS record uses a glitch to do direct memory access and takes on the order of seconds.
  • edited October 2016
    Starfox said:

I assume the record record is TAS, right? How far are the humans off that time?

Nope actual human beat it by .03 seconds, I posted this since it was brand new and most likely will not be beat.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • ESA is having a marathon in November

https://horaro.org/dreamhack/dhw16
  • edited December 2016
    Member when TASBot made Super Mario World do arbitrary code execution? Dude did it by hand:

It's the same guy who first got the credits warp by hand a while ago.

(Also, he made an Atari 2600 emulator in Minecraft. Wild.)
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Agdq is coming and was told to match this in preparation., was not disappointed.