This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• chaosof99 said:

Fix the roster by throwing the most money at free agents: It's the Rangers way.

While true, it wasn't money that got Vesey. Due to the rules regarding his situation the max he could be paid was pretty low. Anyone who got him was going to pay the max. It's actually pretty low. Like a one million cap hit or something. He came for the NYC, and probably his bro Hayes.
  • Crap quality, but whatever:

• There's somewhat meaningful hockey on!

The Bad News Bears are currently beating Team USA 3-0.

Team USA looks really really dumb. They leave Kessel and Shattenkirk off the team, they hire Torts as the coach which is just idiotic to begin with, and Torts benches Byfuglien.
  • Torts is a fucking moron. I'm glad USA is getting its ass kicked.
  • It's simulation puck night. Get you ready for the real thing next month.
  • Tanner Glass on waivers! O M G

Only Rangers fans know/care.
  • Apreche said:

Tanner Glass on waivers! O M G

Only Rangers fans know/care.

Well, you guys got the worst player in the NHL on waivers. Meanwhile Zac Rinaldo is also on waivers. At least the Flyers managed to extract a third round pick out of Boston for him :)
  • Travis Konecny and Ivan Provorov have both made the Flyers roster and are supposed to be with the team the full season. The Future is now!

• If I'm not mistaken, real hockey begins tonight.
  • Apreche said:

If I'm not mistaken, real hockey begins tonight.

Awwww Yeah. Tomorrow dat Rangers Islanders game. Good start to real hockey.
  • NHL.com said:

Matthews scores four, but Maple Leafs lose

Must be hockey season

But seriously. The first 1st overall pick to score a hat trick in their debut, much less four goals. Ridiculous.
  • I think he's the only player who is on pace to break the records of the great one. I expect that to be true for about a week, tops.
  • Apreche said:

I think he's the only player who is on pace to break the records of the great one. I expect that to be true for about a week, tops.

There's less goals in hockey now than in the great one's time.
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

I think he's the only player who is on pace to break the records of the great one. I expect that to be true for about a week, tops.

Yeah, I wonder who was responsible for that...
  • It wasn't all him though even after adjusting for the higher general averages at the time he's still #1 by a comfortable margin.
  • edited October 2016
    Apreche said:

Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Yeah, I wonder who was responsible for that...
    Henrik Lundqvist and the couch cushions he calls hockey pads :P
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Also stole this straight off of Reddit. Read while listening to this for context:
    Post Game Media: "Four goals in your NHL debut for an incredible victory!"

Matthews: "The first thing that I want to be done, is to get that piece of crap Craig Anderson off my ice. Don't just get him off the ice, get him out of the NHL because I've proved son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there and thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about Alfredsson 3:16....Auston 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!"

Post Game Media: "Come on, that's not necessary!"

Matthews: "As King of the Hockey Rink, I'm serving notice to every goalie in the NHL. I don't give a damn what they are, they're all on the list, and that's Auston Matthews list, and I'm fixing to start running through all of 'em. And as far as the Stanley Cup is considered son, I don't give a damn if it's the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins, Auston Matthews time is come, and when I get that shot you're looking at the next Stanley Cup champion. And that's the bottom line, because Auston Matthews said so."
  • We don't look like Stanley Cup Champs, but we look like a pretty good hockey team. Keep playing like this and playoffs could happen. We improved on offense. Hank's not done yet. Defense kinda weak.

Undefeated for now. Got Tix to see vs Wings next week.
  • Was a good game, I missed the beginning but came in after supper and got to see them lose the lead and gain it back. Good hockey.
  • Kicked some ass tonight and both Provorov and Konecny looked good.
  • edited October 2016
    Man this fuckin' game. Rangers almost score on like 3 separate St. Louis power plays. That's like the coolest thing in modern hockey.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • edited October 2016
    Quoted when I should have edited.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • WTF 7 GOALS?

But we let in 4. Meh.

Wings @ NY on Wednesday is in my ticket plan. Oh yiss.
  • Giant beard is really good at scoring goals.
  • We fucked them Caps but good!
  • edited October 2016
    Things are odd to start the season. The Canucks can't get a lead yet constantly win. They are 4-0-1 and have lead in regulation exactly once. The Leafs on the other hand have handed away 4 games when leading after the second period.

On the Flyers front it has its ups and downs but they are fun to watch and competitive. They just need to be more consistent. The rookies are good and Matt Read is playing the best hockey of his career after declining the last two years. Finally this team can play four solid lines. When they get Gudas back from suspension and Del Zotto back from injury the defense should also straighten out and this team should be very good.

Also, the dying city of Detroit has given the Nashville Predators food poisoning.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Goon: Last of the Enforcers comes out on March 17th in Canada.
  • So, Rangers crushed Tampa in what seemed liks a fluke 6-1 game. Cool, but not notable.

The next game, against St. Louis, went down the same way, 5-0...

Rangers played like it was the Stanley Cup, their lines are ALL dangerous/scoring, their penalty kill was top notch, and they actually scored on the power play (a rare feat for these guys). They're taking shots more often and faster, and have a new-looking defense against rebounds that worked like clockwork over and over.

Not sayin' it's a Cup year. But it's feeling like a playoffs year at least.