This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym vs Scott: Civilization V

1235»

Comments

• Game four continues with Rym as Greece and Scott as Songhai. Again, this is a Civilization V Inland Sea Duel map. Four city states, two civs, and played over Giant Multiplayer Robot.

Rym pushes his military hard and even plans to run at a deficit. Will it pay out?

This is part 18 in the Rym Vs Scott series.

• Game IV part 06. Turn 69. This is an auspicious turn, and you see both sides of the situation!

• Part 07! This is the aftermath of the conflict that was brewing in episode 06.

• Part 08!

I'm running hit and run raids against Scott's commerce and improvements, and the naval situation heats up!
  • Part 09.

Scott has repelled Rym's Raiders, secured his borders, and fielded a bristling defense via several advanced (relatively) units. Rym's navy advances and a full blockade begins, narrowing a chance of a sea-based breakout.

The seeds are planted for the decisive actions of this game. Will Rym consolidate and assault? Will he hold the frontier borders and risk Scott's ever-increasing scientific advancement? Rym's empire is strong, but a focused breakout of Scott's units could spell serious setbacks, especially with the constant barbarian incursions on Greece's borders.

• I hope something happens soon, because it looks like Scott lost two videos ago.
  • okeefe said:

I hope something happens soon, because it looks like Scott lost two videos ago.

The next video is the season finale. It goes down in a pretty funny way.

• The finale.

I set up my last turns, Scott explains why he thinks he "can hold out" but will eventually lose, and then I finish the game and step through the stats.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2016
    The funny moment is at 7:25. Scott says he can't win the long game, but he can hold out. Then, it cuts back to me, and I see something I've never seen before in the Civ V UI.

youtu.be/TxFtt3nzzYs?t=7m25s
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2016
    Uh, 23 turns later I wasn't playing anymore. That was against the shitty AI. The reason you suddenly got ahead despite me keeping pace is because I spent turns building caravans and then I lost them, and then couldn't build more military because I didn't have the income to pay maintenance.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • RymRym
    edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Uh, 23 turns later I wasn't playing anymore. That was against the shitty AI.

That was going to happen regardless of what you did. I'd been harassing you with a tiny force to keep you bottled up, and the turn you said you weren't playing anymore I switched to real war footing.

There is no action you could have taken to prevent me from doing what I did. 23 turns ain't a lot of time: the AI didn't make that many decisions.

That same army was coming and the outcome would not have been different. I had three great generals to throw at you and I could crank out multiple units every other turn.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Uh, 23 turns later I wasn't playing anymore. That was against the shitty AI.

That was going to happen regardless of what you did. I'd been harassing you with a tiny force to keep you bottled up, and the turn you said you weren't playing anymore I switched to real war footing.

There is no action you could have taken to prevent me from doing what I did. 23 turns ain't a lot of time: the AI didn't make that many decisions.

That same army was coming and the outcome would not have been different. I had three great generals to throw at you and I could crank out multiple units every other turn.

How are you doing this? Do you just go into debt and not care about unit maintenance cost or unhappiness? Then you just make up for it later? I actually try to run a balanced operation. I don't buy things I can't afford.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

How are you doing this? Do you just go into debt and not care about unit maintenance cost or unhappiness? Then you just make up for it later? I actually try to run a balanced operation. I don't buy things I can't afford.

I had like 18 excess happiness and had been saving up gold. Remember, I didn't have a big army until it was time. The units you saw harassing you were almost my entire army.

I had a tiny surplus - +1 - with that army. But I'd saved up a few hundred gold to be able to run at a deficit when real fighting time came. Also, per the graphs, your economy was similar to (or often superior to) mine for the entire game.

So I made the giant army moved, it your way, and switched cities to directly producing gold to push the deficit down once I had about double the strength I thought I would need to finish you. I could run at that augmented deficit for 50+ turns no problem, longer if I pillaged your shit.

I also gifted units to the city states next to you. No more maintenance fees, and they were still at war with you.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I was at equal econ because I had caravans that worked.

Civ VI doesn't appear to be different in this regard. In fact, it appears that this situation is even worse. If I don't caravan in Civ VI I have like, no moneys. But even a single Caravan with a trading post gets me like 10+ gold per turn. I usually have like 50+ gold per turn in Civ VI. That's only because I can Caravan safely. If I can't, then how I money?

Also, how did you get 18 excess happiness? I'm always on the edge using every happiness I can get.
  • Apreche said:

Also, how did you get 18 excess happiness? I'm always on the edge using every happiness I can get.

The same way I get my infantry to the factory in Advance Wars way ahead of you.

Build happiness buildings, push civic policies that provide happiness, found cities next to new happiness resources, befriend city states.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Build happiness buildings, push civic policies that provide happiness, found cities next to new happiness resources, befriend city states.

I do all those things, but no matter how much I do, it's not 18+ worth unless I ignore everything else.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

I do all those things, but no matter how much I do, it's not 18+ worth unless I ignore everything else.
    Even in the for-real games, I'm usually running around +18 during peacetime when I'm not in the middle of a big expansion.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Even in the for-real games, I'm usually running around +18 during peacetime when I'm not in the middle of a big expansion.

You must be sacrificing something to cover that.
  • Nah, not that I can think of. I mean, you can see the videos of our games: you can see exactly what I'm doing.

I don't push huge population in my cities early: I get to a baseline and focus on expansion. I consolidate and grow city population once I get to a stable point.
  • edited November 2016
    Rym said:

Nah, not that I can think of. I mean, you can see the videos of our games: you can see exactly what I'm doing.

I don't push huge population in my cities early: I get to a baseline and focus on expansion. I consolidate and grow city population once I get to a stable point.

How you keep your city from growing? Not build farms? Not build Granary?

I can't resist the delicious wheat.
  • I rarely build granaries.

Manage your citizens. You can tell a city to avoid growth just by clicking.

You should have built your second city somewhere different and built a third city to the south in those hills.
  • edited November 2016
    Rym said:

I rarely build granaries.

Manage your citizens. You can tell a city to avoid growth just by clicking.

You should have built your second city somewhere different and built a third city to the south in those hills.

I wasn't ready to make a Settler yet, and then it was too dangerous for them to go alone. I usually put the cities in the spot the game suggests.
  • Always make a settler earlier than you think you should. Even one Scout will protect it just fine.
  • This is my advice for Scott,

1. When your population is 4-5, pump out 2 or 3 Settlers. Before that my build order is normally Monument -> Scout -> Archer -> Archer -> Archer, and maybe a Worker thrown somewhere in there.

2. Steal a worker from a City-State, it helps a lot. Just declare war, take it, then make peace all in the same turn, and other then the fact that City-State will hate you for a short time, there are no repercussions if you only do it once.

3. Go Tradition. Liberty doesn't benefit you in a small map like this where you can't have a large number of cities. Tradition would have helped you with your economy and happiness more than Liberty, and given a boost to population.

[The following is my personal preference]
    4. Settle on the sea in this map, so if the caravans fail, you can use cargo ships to boost your population and get by on your internal economy.

5. I like Civs that give me "utility" like the Incan or the Shoshone. Alternatively, a very war focused Civ like the Huns or the Zulu might be beneficial as well.
  • edited November 2016
    I couldn't use cargo ships because the city states weren't on the sea. A cargo ship did nothing.

Also, wow building three archers like that. I have a very hard time resisting building awesome buildings and wonders.

Also, I've never stolen a worker in my life except from barbarians. Even then, I'll return them. I'm trying to be a nice peaceful nation. I don't want to war.
  • Scott, are you saying that you are not playing to win?
  • Apsup said:

Scott, are you saying that you are not playing to win?

I want to win my way.