This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Now that Donald Trump has won...

Comments

• Does anyone know of any charitable giving apps that function like Patreon? A centralized hub for giving that makes it super easy to donate on a regular basis, possibly shows crucial information about the org, statistics, pro & con? Maybe that shows statistics about overall giving as well as your personal stats? Ooh, and provides a filter alias for email to block the spam. I'm working on something else right now, but it might not be a bad next project.

That would be great, actually. I have zero interest in going to individual sites and creating profiles to pay $10/MO but I would be into one site that let's me search for things I might be into trying to fix going forward (say education reform for example) and find groups that tackle it and see what they are doing. Then their deliverables are things like progress reports or whatever.

The key should be to incentivize groups that are transparent and productive, while on a budget, so that people don't get bored and shift their pledge.
  • edited November 2016
    Looks like Trump is going to tap creationist Ben Carson as head of the Department and Education, and Myron Ebell, a climate change denier, as head of the EPA. Meanwhile one guy who could potentially head the Department of Homeland security, Sheriff David Clarke, is saying that anti-Trump protests "must be quelled". We are off to a rousing start...

Every time I think about this election I want to claw my fucking eyes out. And it's fucking everywhere.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • My desire to see a mass extinction event happen has only increased.
  • Hey, not let's not self radicalize, that'd make us terrorists /s
  • David Clarke would essentially be Douglas MacArthur but without FDR/Truman there to stop him.
  • Rym said:

I'm working on something.

Stay tuned.

I'm in for anything up to and including armed insurrection.
  • Rym said:

Stay tuned.

This talk is not useful.
  • My long-term goal for my life has been to buy/build a little house in the woods and live out my days as a hermit. (With high-speed internet of course.)

Recent events have made me re-assess this plan and realize that it's far closer than I ever realized. If I can talk my boss into letting me work from home full-time, which is not unprecedented at my office), I could theoretically buy a house in Vermont in the next few years. I could be close enough to Burlington to get the amenities from the city (plus I have friends who live there), and the cost of living would be nothing to worry about if I continue to draw a Boston-level salary. Houses are way cheap up there, you guys. It would be an additional benefit that I'd be under the watchful gaze of Bernie out there.
  • UncleUlty said:

My long-term goal for my life has been to buy/build a little house in the woods and live out my days as a hermit. (With high-speed internet of course.)

Recent events have made me re-assess this plan and realize that it's far closer than I ever realized. If I can talk my boss into letting me work from home full-time, which is not unprecedented at my office), I could theoretically buy a house in Vermont in the next few years. I could be close enough to Burlington to get the amenities from the city (plus I have friends who live there), and the cost of living would be nothing to worry about if I continue to draw a Boston-level salary. Houses are way cheap up there, you guys. It would be an additional benefit that I'd be under the watchful gaze of Bernie out there.

Good luck even getting Internet out in the woods.
  • Hope you like satellite Internet, because that'll be your option.

However, having grown up in the Champlain Valley, I can confirm that the northern area of Vermont is quite lovely and serene. Also, fuckin nobody lives there.
  • Apreche said:

Good luck even getting Internet out in the woods.

When I say 'the woods', I just mean in a small town maybe 20 minutes outside of Burlington. I have confirmed that cable internet exists there.
  • Hope you like satellite Internet, because that'll be your option.

However, having grown up in the Champlain Valley, I can confirm that the northern area of Vermont is quite lovely and serene. Also, fuckin nobody lives there.

My mom grew up right on Mallet's Bay!
  • I went to college in the Northeast Kingdom up in Vermont, so I spent 4 years living there. It's real nice, but I'm thinking the northwest will be better for the aforementioned internet access, as well as proximity to a city. Having to drive an hour and a half just to go to the movies or buy some socks got old fast.
  • UncleUlty said:

I went to college in the Northeast Kingdom up in Vermont, so I spent 4 years living there. It's real nice, but I'm thinking the northwest will be better for the aforementioned internet access, as well as proximity to a city. Having to drive an hour and a half just to go to the movies or buy some socks got old fast.

Well, if you have Internet you don't need to go to the movies or buy socks at a store. The post office delivers everywhere, even the sticks.

• edited November 2016
    Andrew said:

Rym said:

Stay tuned.

He assures me that it was a joke, but given today's climate it neither comes off as one nor is funny.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm super confused by the protests in the US.
    The political system worked as intended by the politicians, the people that were put into power. To avoid this ever occurring these protests should have been occurred at a time when the electoral system could be changed.

Are the people protesting aware of how to enact legitimate political change so it can't occur in the future?

I understand the whole "we just elected a crazy hateful person to be our leader" feel. However will this change your voting system (it seems unlikely if your President will need to sign off on it).

Any how, interesting to see all the dog whistles change into real whistles on social media.
  • As if we didn't fight him every step of the campaign?
  • SWATrous said:

That would be great, actually. I have zero interest in going to individual sites and creating profiles to pay $10/MO but I would be into one site that let's me search for things I might be into trying to fix going forward (say education reform for example) and find groups that tackle it and see what they are doing. Then their deliverables are things like progress reports or whatever.

The key should be to incentivize groups that are transparent and productive, while on a budget, so that people don't get bored and shift their pledge.

I actually brought up the idea to one of my teachers today. He's apparently had a similar idea for a while and he builds startups. So this might happen. Stay tuned.
  • Greg said:

As if we didn't fight him every step of the campaign?

I'm not referring to anyone not fighting against his campaign, I'm speaking the change of your weak democratic system.
  • Rym said:

Stay tuned.

Lemmie know if I can lend a hand.
  • Rym said:

Stay tuned.

Lemmie know if I can lend a hand.
    I already made clear on twitter, but to repeat, I'm in for anything you need.
  • The suspense is killing me.
  • sK0pe said:

I'm super confused by the protests in the US.
    The political system worked as intended by the politicians, the people that were put into power. To avoid this ever occurring these protests should have been occurred at a time when the electoral system could be changed.

Are the people protesting aware of how to enact legitimate political change so it can't occur in the future?

I understand the whole "we just elected a crazy hateful person to be our leader" feel. However will this change your voting system (it seems unlikely if your President will need to sign off on it).

Any how, interesting to see all the dog whistles change into real whistles on social media.

I don't think politicians really care about citizens unless they are protesting. They are allowed to serve their position without actually doing their job and enforcing rules on them is incredibly hard when you look at the number of Senators, Representatives, and Governors who've actually been expelled or censured. We don't have a great system in hand to deal with politicians when they are already in power.
  • I can't help but think back eight years when some of you were worried that Obama might be assassinated before taking office by some crazy right winger. Now you folks are talking like the crazy people you believed to be on the right.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I am truly saddened to see the current state of the forum. Guess I should not have returned.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I can't help but think back eight years when some of you were worried that Obama might be assassinated before taking office by some crazy right winger. Now you folks are talking like the crazy people you believed to be on the right.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I am truly saddened to see the current state of the forum. Guess I should not have returned.

I think the biggest difference between the anti Obama people and the current anti Trump people is that anti Obama people were scared he was going to take their guns away or something else he never said. People are scared of Trump because of what he and Pence have said. Obama wanted gun reform. Trump wants to force Muslims to register with the government. Pence tried to make women hold funerals for aborted fetuses at their expense. I could go on, but I think you get the idea
  • sK0pe said:

I'm super confused by the protests in the US.

As I posted on Twitter, general anti-Trump protests may be cathartic to some, but we need to protest specific policies and changes in order to be effective. Right now, demonstrations of support for the rights, interests, and safety of POC, LGBTQ, women, Muslims, Jews, the disabled, the poor, and other at risk communities would be far more useful than the ineffectual and hypocritical 'not my president' protests.
  • Does anyone know of any charitable giving apps that function like Patreon? A centralized hub for giving that makes it super easy to donate on a regular basis, possibly shows crucial information about the org, statistics, pro & con? Maybe that shows statistics about overall giving as well as your personal stats? Ooh, and provides a filter alias for email to block the spam. I'm working on something else right now, but it might not be a bad next project.

http://www.crowdrise.com Haven't used it myself, but seems like what you're looking for.

• As I posted on Twitter, general anti-Trump protests may be cathartic to some, but we need to protest specific policies and changes in order to be effective. Right now, demonstrations of support for the rights, interests, and safety of POC, LGBTQ, women, Muslims, Jews, the disabled, the poor, and other at risk communities would be far more useful than the ineffectual and hypocritical 'not my president' protests.

Aye. Well put.