This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Now that Donald Trump has won...

Comments

• So, that app we were talking about that puts out a realtime distress call to nearby allies?

There's a GoFundMe for that.

https://www.gofundme.com/safertogether
  • edited November 2016
    Neither Trump nor any member of his team has called the State Department or the Department of Defense. However, he has gone ahead and set up calls and meetings with foreign representatives (Abe) and foreign random dudes (Farage). This is an enormous risk of our national security and interests. WTF? WTELF?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-idUSKBN13B1UR
    While world leaders sometimes hold loosely planned bilateral meetings at regional summits, it is unusual for foreign leaders to hold high-level diplomatic talks in the United States without detailed planning. Abe is on his way to an Asia-Pacific summit in Peru.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said that to his knowledge, Trump's transition team had not been in contact with the department either to discuss the transition of government or to seek information ahead of his meetings with foreign leaders.

Trump is expected to use the Abe meeting to reassure Japan and other Asian allies rattled by his campaign rhetoric, advisers to Trump said.

But Trump, a brash outsider with no diplomatic or government experience, and Abe, a veteran lawmaker, have differences on policy issues such as free trade.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/politics/donald-trump-transition-lobbyists-confusion/
    The State Department and Pentagon have said on the record they have had no contact with any member of the transition staff.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The transition team seems to have an attitude of "Fuck you, we won!" Which is a big turnoff for any professional politico who know what they're doing. Be prepared for a lot of incompetent, yes'man, profiteering hacks.

Can't wait when Trump starts ordering government agencies to use Trump affiliated businesses whenever possible.
  • http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Apple-could-make-iPhones-in-US-in-future-sources

Maybe he can bring manufacturing back to the US? Couple this with a deal to allow Apple to repatriate it's foreign earnings without a huge tax hit and it could happen.
  • with robots. So that's great for all those college educated skilled workers :-p
  • http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

Very long but worth a read. Like, reeeeeaaaaallllyyyyyyy long.
  • HMTKSteve said:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

Very long but worth a read. Like, reeeeeaaaaallllyyyyyyy long.

I think it should have gone through the effort of explaining why doing things that are racist doesn't make you racist because that explanation in part 17 was underwhelming.
  • Nuri said:

So, that app we were talking about that puts out a realtime distress call to nearby allies?

What's preventing this system from being used by assholes to identify vulnerable people?
  • Nuri said:

So, that app we were talking about that puts out a realtime distress call to nearby allies?

What's preventing this system from being used by assholes to identify vulnerable people?
    What makes you think they have trouble identifying vulnerable people right now?

Everything can be misused.
  • Nuri said:

"Allies must provide a working email address, a working Facebook profile, and two references. We require these three forms of proof to ensure that individuals who want to harass vulnerable groups are not able to use this app as a means of targeting individuals."
  • Sessions for AG
    Flynn for National Security Adviser
    Some Ahole from Kansas for CIA...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • They've gotta get confirmed first.
  • Not all of them need to be confirmed!
  • Remember that time our new NatSec hung out with Putin and Russian oligarchs at a state run media dinner?

How about the time he was dismissed from the DIA for sending a memo on dress codes advising women to not be "plain janes" and to wear makeup + heels to look prettier?
    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/05/14/how-to-dress-for-success-at-the-defense-intelligence-agency

What about the fact that he was advising foreign entities (Turkey) while sitting in on intel briefings?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-flynn-key-trump-aide-sat-in-on-intel-briefings-while-advising-foreign-clients-004512931.html
  • And yes, you might ask, that IS Jill Stein.
  • Erwin said:
    I had no particular want to rewatch seinfeld, but now I want to pirate it out of spite.
  • Props for the cast for sending a message directly to Pence, but we all know it's falling on deaf ears in his case.

HE LITERALLY GIVES PEOPLE AIDS.
  • edited November 2016
    Erwin said:
    Is this the TBS syndication? How does this relate to Hulu rights?

Either way I'm not gonna stop watching Seinfeld. If I felt really strongly about this I'd just watch my DVDs. Also considering my company is the streaming facilitator for Turner (and by that TBS) I can't really escape it anyway.

Also David and Seinfeld still own significant rights to the show.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited November 2016
    MATATAT said:

Not the time, then, to point out that while he's not as bad as Pence, Jerry Seinfeld is still one of those "Oh, people are too offended, damned SJWs are ruining everything because the run the world, colleges are full of easily offended fascist PC police because anyone concerned with social justice is the real fascists" type of people.

I don't know what the fuck Larry David's deal is.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Not the time, then, to point out that while he's not as bad as Pence, Jerry Seinfeld is still one of those "Oh, people are too offended, damned SJWs are ruining everything because the run the world, colleges are full of easily offended fascist PC police because anyone concerned with social justice is the real fascists" type of people.

Yeah that seems to be a pretty common stance for comedians across the board. Although quotes I've seen from him on the subject I don't think he's quite as blatant as you're painting him out to be.
  • MATATAT said:

Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Yeah that seems to be a pretty common stance for comedians across the board. Although quotes I've seen from him on the subject I don't think he's quite as blatant as you're painting him out to be.
    Yeah I remember listening to End of the World Podcast (which should've been about Utena) where Doug Stanhope, Joe Rogan, Bert Kreischner, and Bill Burr all took that stance. Even Rory Albanese, an ex-Nightly Show writer, fell into that trap. I think it all ties back to Lenny Bruce.
  • Greg said:

MATATAT said:

Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Yeah I remember listening to End of the World Podcast (which should've been about Utena) where Doug Stanhope, Joe Rogan, Bert Kreischner, and Bill Burr all took that stance. Even Rory Albanese, an ex-Nightly Show writer, fell into that trap. I think it all ties back to Lenny Bruce.
    A lot of comedians see themselves as free speech enthusiasts so it makes sense. I don't get it with Jerry Seinfeld since he's viewed as the 90s stereotype of white bread, un-challenging comic. Joe Rogan is very suseptive to following bullshit nonsense if you follow his history post-Man Show. (he has a new stand-up special called "Triggered" ffs.) Stanhope/Kreischner/Burr all fit into a same bill of having a very bro-y, shouty comic known for tackling hecklers so their attitude would fall into the anti-SJW mold. There's even a documentary released "Can We Take a Joke?" about comedians who feel they can't make offensive jokes in clubs anymore, but seeing the cast list...it's just hacks/unknowns/people who'll do anything for money/exposure.

At this point, you have to evolve past "edginess advocate" of being a comedian as offensive comedy is everywhere. Move on past George Carlin, he's gone. If you want to watch a comedian who took risks for his life and comedy, look at Barry Crimmins.
  • edited November 2016
    MATATAT said:

On one hand, yes, on the other, he literally criticized his daughter on national radio for being concerned with social justice issues, so I'm not so sure.

And, admittedly, I think he was partially motivated by bitterness, because last time he spoke about it, he was coming off the back of bombing a set real hard, in particular, the joke that killed the set about how scrolling on a smartphone makes you look like a "gay french king." Nobody even really criticized him for it, he just bombed.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

MATATAT said:

On one hand, yes, on the other, he literally criticized his daughter on national radio for being concerned with social justice issues, so I'm not so sure.
    I remember that interview. Honestly he sounded a bit like a grumpy old man upset that the world is changing.
    Here's the relevant bit:

“My wife says to my daughter, ‘In the next couple of years, I think you’ll want to be hanging around the city more on weekends, so you can see boys.’ You know what my daughter says? ‘That’s sexist.’ ”

I'm pretty much certain that when my sister was the same age, in like the mid 2000s that was completely appropriate. So now the grumpy old man is grumpy that that's changing. Doesn't come across as anti-SJW to me, that said, make of it what you will.

• Isn't part of the point of comedy and the whole pro free speech thing is being able to explore places that have become taboo? Granted, I haven't heard the stand-ups in question. There's a difference between subtle exposure of how silly society is at times versus just bashing things you don't like.
  • Caught this today strolling through Youtube. Next time someone brings up feminists ruining comedy...

• People telling me to quit crying about the election results seem to have no idea about how the electoral college works (or what most of the constitution says other than the 2nd amendment).