This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Building a Computer: End of 2016

It's an interesting time to be buying a computer, and we're both on the verge of doing just that. Rym's rig is pretty close to Scott's, but we talk in depth about the what and why of our choices. In the news, OSX's handling of /etc/hosts is ludicrous, and ransomeware takes out SF's transit terminals.

The GeekNights Patreon is worth checking out! We'll be at MAGFest and PAX South very soon!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Thus far, this is my favourite episode of geeknights in a while. More talk about linux/unix, more talk about securing your shit, and just more tech. That's why I like geeknights, anime, games, random shit >> back seat. Teach me more shit and have me googling.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I knew what that outro was the second it started. Classic.
  • Axel said:

I knew what that outro was the second it started. Classic.

Yeah, me too, had to quickly throw the actual thing on after the show ended. This led to me to kirby meets snoop and then yoshi meets eminem, lovely little bit of youtube that.
  • edited November 2016
    Yeah it's funny that the San Francisco metro hack seems to be happening interestingly close to the launch of Watch Dogs 2, about hacking shit in San Francisco.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Sadly the one case that does I include liquid cooling out of the box is the cooler Master geome case. Scott will disapprove of the window but the sucker works and comes with an option to go higher quality if you so desire.
  • member hubs?
  • NZXT had a tempting deal for the h340 plus a refurbished kraken 61 for basically the price of a new Kraken 62. I don't see why they would want the case to have the radiator pre installed since it's probably easier to mount the chip to the board first, then the board, and put the radiator in last.

The new Kraken 62 looks awesome and has swivel elbows so that's a bit of a help I'm sure.
  • Coldguy said:

Sadly the one case that does I include liquid cooling out of the box is the cooler Master geome case. Scott will disapprove of the window but the sucker works and comes with an option to go higher quality if you so desire.

I just searched for "cooler master geome" and nothing came up.
  • I found Deepcool Genome that seems to fit the bill.

Looks petty slick actually. And $200 is not bad if it works as good as a discrete solution.
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

Sadly the one case that does I include liquid cooling out of the box is the cooler Master geome case. Scott will disapprove of the window but the sucker works and comes with an option to go higher quality if you so desire.

SWATous beat me to it. It is Deepcool Genome and not Cooler Master, I typed the wrong brand name.

Edit: typing on a phone still stinks with auto correct.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Coldguy said:

Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

SWATous beat me to it. It is Deepcool and not Cooler Master, I typed the wrong brand name.
    It actually looks like a terrific case, except it's ugly as fuck.
  • edited November 2016
    Oops.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I bought the hard drives. That sale ends tomorrow, and under $200 for a high performance 5TB drive ain't bad.

While I was at it, I bought the firewire card. I can put it in the current rig to test compatibility.

It begins.
  • edited November 2016
    Life before GeForce GTX 1080: Man I need a new GPU, these graphics... this framerate is horrible. These are so expensive OMG. FML.

Life after GeForce GTX 1080: Oh, that's what you look like on max.

Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Yeah I'm very glad I jumped on a sub $600 1080 deal and I don't even get my card till tomorrow.

Funny enough Sunday night I finally went and decided I'd solve overclocking the 2500k. I had lots of trouble when I first got the thing, cuz I was doing manual overclocks an never got it very stable, and for a machine that does CAD and gaming I need stability.

But then I learned about the auto OC settings Scott was mentioning and at 4.6 GHz with just a press of a button, and rock solid stability, I'm really kicking myself for not doing this years ago.

Hoping itcan scrape by till Kaby Lake and make a decision based on real numbers. And if it's true that Kaby Lake CPUs will allow 4k streaming, that's actually super relevant to my interests.

And that AV Club spot about Double Dare has both ruined and enhanced my childhood. Good find!
  • Also Marc Summers has a serious OCD problem and that show must have been hell for him. The guy is a constant pro with hosting the worst possible show to be associated with having that issue.
  • Was curious about the DNS issue so I fired up my M2015 MBP (10.11.6) and a packet sniffer. Cleared Chrome's host cache and the OS cache, and fired off a few local queries. No DNS packets. That's odd. It's almost as if it went to the HOSTS entries first, which would be the only sane thing to do.

Maybe it's a Mac OS Sierra thing. Hmm.

I would have tried to replicate on my Windows box, but it started itself without asking, closed all my programs, and installed 75 useless windows updates I didn't ask for and told it specifically never to install. Weird.

Resolution: COULD NOT REPRODUCE
  • kenjura said:

Was curious about the DNS issue so I fired up my M2015 MBP (10.11.6) and a packet sniffer. Cleared Chrome's host cache and the OS cache, and fired off a few local queries. No DNS packets. That's odd. It's almost as if it went to the HOSTS entries first, which would be the only sane thing to do.

I would have tried to replicate on my Windows box, but it started itself without asking, closed all my programs, and installed 75 useless windows updates I didn't ask for and told it specifically never to install. Weird.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10064581/how-can-i-eliminate-slow-resolving-loading-of-localhost-virtualhost-a-2-3-secon

https://serverfault.com/questions/321386/resolving-to-virtual-host-very-slow-on-mac-os-x-lion

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/113960/chrome-slow-when-loading-local-virtual-host

https://yzisin.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/mac-os-x-lion-hosts-file-slow-names-resolution/

http://gotofritz.net/blog/geekery/os-x-dns-lookups-too-slow-for-local-hosts/
  • Retronauts recently did a very good podcast, the oral history of Nick Arcade, another flawed Nickelodeon gameshow. One of the common threads across all of these shows is that Nickelodeon moved their studios out of Hollywood and into the Orlando theme park scene b/c you could hire dirt cheap non-union TV crew and actors. They would staff up for a week, pull in some theme park attendees as audience, and film an entire season of game show TV in that week.

This was cut-rate budget, fly by the seat of your pants stuff. I can *absolutely* see them hosing down some horrible oozing mold mat, throwing it in a shed in the Florida heat, and then rolling it back out for season 2.
  • It's so disgusting and amazing at the same time.

Oh I can only wonder what horror stories are secretly behind GUTS.
  • SWATrous said:

It's so disgusting and amazing at the same time.

Oh I can only wonder what horror stories are secretly behind GUTS.

GUTS seemed a lot cleaner than the other shows. I imagine lots of injuries, though. At least one person had to fall off that crag at some point. Surprised we never heard of any lawsuits involved. Maybe there were, and we just didn't know because it was pre-Internet.
  • I recently re-watched en episode of GUTS's first season. Hoooooly shit was that show completely busted, at least in those early days. Fumbled handoffs between the hosts, games that simply didn't work, horrible editing. It was just a complete train wreck.
  • The hosts thing is hilarious, this was happening to students in Webdev last semester, Demonstrations were going terrible for those booted into OSx.
    Everyone presenting on Linux or Windows machines had no issue.
    kenjura said:

Was curious about the DNS issue so I fired up my M2015 MBP (10.11.6) and a packet sniffer. Cleared Chrome's host cache and the OS cache, and fired off a few local queries. No DNS packets. That's odd. It's almost as if it went to the HOSTS entries first, which would be the only sane thing to do.

So you'd rather have an OS which isn't maintained and is broken?
    reported this as a bug to apple rdar://24237290 and got this hilarious response: > Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue: > This is expected behavior since the max no. of aliases in /etc/hosts file allowed is 10. Having more than 10 aliases in /etc/hosts file does not seem to be practical.
    LOL max of 10 aliases.
  • You're right, your one anecdote invalidates reality. I was obviously mis-experiencing my own existence for the last 4 years. I'll start funneling my dollars from one giant software company into your preferred alternative.
  • For $231 more than what I was originally going to pay, I can have dual m.2 512GB PCIe SSDs...
  • edited December 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

Life before GeForce GTX 1080: Man I need a new GPU, these graphics... this framerate is horrible. These are so expensive OMG. FML.

Life after GeForce GTX 1080: Oh, that's what you look like on max.

Can confirm.

Battlefield 1 on 4k Ultra:

Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Scott said:

Only log in on websites protected with SSL

• Starfox said:

Scott said:

Only log in on websites protected with SSL

Vanilla hosts this site, not me. We already pay $150/month. They want to charge more for SSL. There is no real security threat with anything on the forums. It's not a bank. What's someone going to do? Impersonate you and then we fix it later?

If you're stupid enough to use the same password for your bank as you do for this forum, god speed.
  • A while ago I discovered manually changing to https gives you the security warning for an invalid cert. But the cert is for vanillaforums.com. So it's probably ok to add an exception?
  • Starfox said:

A while ago I discovered manually changing to https gives you the security warning for an invalid cert. But the cert is for vanillaforums.com. So it's probably ok to add an exception?

Nope. You will be encrypting your connection, sure. But that's not so important. You won't be verifying whether or not you are actually visiting the real vanillaforums.com or the real frontrowcrew.com. You could be visiting some other site pretending to be this site. And sure, your data might be encrypted on the way there, but big deal. You send your credit card number to someone in a secret code that only you and they know. But they are a robber! Oh noes!