This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
So the world under 20s are on right now, and it got me to thinking, I know that a number of people here seem to like hockey to some extent; but I have to ask, what is your favourite hockey? Does anyone have any leagues that they would watch over another one. Does anyone here think that the NHL has the best hockey? or perhaps that the 4 Nations Cup is the best?

For me at least I find that the Olympics is the best fallowed by the U18, then after a few others the NHL sits at the bottom of the list along with the 4 Nations Cup.

Comments

• Like it or not, it is hard to deny that the NHL has the best hockey players in the world. The presence of Ovechkin alone makes it hard to argue against that. Though, as we have discussed on the show, having the best players usually means that the sport will actually be less entertaining for the spectators. Despite this, the NHL still has a great deal of entertainment value, as has been evidenced by the recent outdoors game between Pittsburgh and Buffalo. You also have to respect the Stanley Cup.

Personally I find college and minor league hockey to be the most entertaining for spectator purposes. The entertainment value doubles when it is a game between rival teams.
  • While I will agree that the NHL often has the best players, I'm not so sure that they have the best teams, and that's what makes a game great along with other factors like the rivalry between two teams. Really synergy on a team seems to add at least some of the interest that "overly good" plays seem to take away.
  • While I will agree that the NHL often has the best players, I'm not so sure that they have the best teams, and that's what makes a game great along with other factors like the rivalry between two teams. Really synergy on a team seems to add at least some of the interest that "overly good" plays seem to take away.
    This is true.
  • Go Flames.

Only because they are local. Otherwise, Go Avs, who are getting stomped. However, Team Canada's Junior team is kickin' some serious ass.
  • I played astro turf hockey a back in the good old days. I'm thinking of picking it up again.
  • I was introduced to Ice Hockey through The Mighty Ducks films, after that I played a few of the NHL games on the Mega Drive. From this I have picked up a the few things I know about the game until I started watching the NHL on late night TV. (When all American sport is shown over here in Britain on the normal channels)
    Have to say that the game is too quick to watch at 3 in the morning and I really should go along to a game to check it out and increase my hockey knowledge.
  • For the record, Canada owns again.
  • Ice hockey, meh. Each to his own I guess.
  • When all American sport is shown over here in Britain on the normal channels
    All American? There are more Russians then Americans playing on those teams last time I cared to look.
  • Ya you forgot about Canadians. You know, the guys who actually know how to play.
  • Actually I left them out, as some people really mean North American rather then just American, but yes, there are also more Canadians (and Canadiens!) then people from the states.
  • The only real barrier to me attempting to get into hockey is that the only team that I have any inclination to care about, due to localness, is the Boston Bruins. And, well...
  • Geeze, what is with the American team this year? Normally they give both the Canadians and Russians a hard game, but right now the Russians are up by three, really what the hell?
    All American? There are more Russians then Americans playing on those teams last time I cared to look.
    By all American sports, i mean sports that are American (Ice Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and American Football) not sports played by a team full of Americans.
  • Alright. Well Canada won again, as expected.
    By all American sports, i mean sports that are American (Ice Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and American Football) not sports played by a team full of Americans.
    How are Ice Hockey and Basketball American?
    Alright. Well Canada won again, as expected.
    Now, now, the Sweads put up an awesome game, otherwise there wouldn't have been an OT victory.
  • edited January 2008
    "We are the Swedish, we are so silly."

But yea, they did play well. Surprisingly, comparing this result to their last like 40.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • It's nice to know there is awesome hockey still being played somewhere.

• Wrong thread, scott :P
  • edited April 2013
    http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/10/4210814/nbc-sports-stream-stanley-cup-playoffs

I guess I still have to use a pirate stream because they are going to check that you pay for cable. Just charge for the stream directly!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Was that a penalty? Is that supposed to be a penalty? I could see hockey rules saying, "If you don't want to get shoved back out onto the ice, don't go into the other team's bench."
  • edited April 2013
    Was that a penalty? Is that supposed to be a penalty? I could see hockey rules saying, "If you don't want to get shoved back out onto the ice, don't go into the other team's bench."
    There was no penalty. Probably should have been for unsportsmanlike conduct or interference though. Still funny.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • PLAYOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • PLAYOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Good to see you again Washington. Remember what happened last year?
  • Remember what happened the three years before that?
  • Remember what happened the three years before that?
    Nope. Everything between 1995 and 2012 is kind of hazy.
  • I was biking. Fuck.

And we've wanted to fire that clown all season.
  • Sup brah