This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080115 - Dwarf Fortress

edited January 2008 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights we have a fascinating discussion with Tarn Adams, developer of the PC game Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress.

Comments

• Nice prediction, Thane.
  • I have no idea who this guy, or his game, is.
  • The game sounds really interesting, I'm definitely going to look into it, and try and keep track of it.
  • I think it would be interesting to try that sharing of a world where someone plays a year and then passes it along to the next player. Anyone interested?
  • I'd be up for it, but after I actually get to play the game first =P Hopefully it will be tonight, since I'm finishing up my last midterm project right now.
  • ASCII-like graphics? Hmmmm....
  • edited January 2008
    ASCII-like graphics? Hmmmm....
    I'm no graphics snob, but if I play an ASCII game I don't expect it to monopolize my processor.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Thank you so much for doing this interview. This is exactly why I listen to geek nights. I started playing Dwarf Fortress today and am really loving it so far.
  • I'm no graphics snob, but if I play an ASCII game I don't expect it to monopolize my processor.
    Horesepower can be used for other things besides graphics, such as making the game incredibly deep. Of course, there is also inefficient programming going on, but what can you do?
  • So I went into this episode not knowing who this guy was, but, after listening to the episode, I really want to try his game. At the very least, I'll keep on eye on it for when it gets really good. (Or he fixes the interface.)
  • Tried to play it some time back, but didn't have, and still don't have, enough time to learn and play it. Though after this interview I want to give it another try.
  • I'm holding out until he finishes the GUI.
    But that ain't coming in our live times!
    I totally agree. I took a whack at it, but I can't get past the graphics. It is far too easy to pick up a more visually stimulating game. I think you can have primitive graphics or a steep learning curve, but not both.
  • I can't get past the graphics. It is far too easy to pick up a more visually stimulating game
    The graphics have nothing to do with my decision at all. The ONLY thing holding me back is the direct user interface.
  • I also couldn't play this game on the first try. However, if you follow the directions in this wiki article, it becomes a lot easier.
  • Also, there is agraphics add-on.
    Wow! That looks very promising. Just imagine the possibilities if the game was open source.
  • edited January 2008
    Played the game some last night. I was impressed. It's just really hard to learn...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm really interested in this game. I think I might play it when I pick up a new computer...
  • It's funny, after playing the game for a while, I could read the graphics like how Cypher read the Matrix. I'd look at a d and see a cute puppy, or a C and see a cougar, for example. It just takes time. And all these new graphics sets make things much easier for the newcomer.
  • Thanks guys this was a great interview. I found it terribly interesting and I have a much bigger desire to play the game. I don't know if that is a good thing or not, i didn't get far last time, due to the effort it required to get started...

Looking forward to more great interviews.
  • Have to say, ever since I listened I've been hooked on this game. Yeah the interface sucks, but it only takes a bit of time to get past it; the wiki articles helps a lot, but experimentation and an open mind will get you a lot farther. The crazy amount of content in the game will surely last me many months to come.

Also, congrats on a successful interview.
  • BUMP!

Three Panel Soul made a webcomic about DF. A lot of fun stuff in those three panels.
  • New York Times covers Dwarf Fortress. Really good article, but yet again newspapers reporting news from many years ago.
  • yet again newspapers reporting news from many years ago
    At this point, DF has inspired so many other indie games that are becoming very popular all of the sudden. It's no wonder there is more attention.

Btw, if the article covers that, sorry. I don't have access to NYT articles.
  • yet again newspapers reporting news from many years ago
    At this point, DF has inspired so many other indie games that are becoming very popular all of the sudden. It's no wonder there is more attention.

Btw, if the article covers that, sorry. I don't have access to NYT articles.
    http://mashable.com/2011/03/28/how-to-bypass-new-york-times-paywall/
  • http://mashable.com/2011/03/28/how-to-bypass-new-york-times-paywall/
    ... was this ever posted in fail of the day? wow.
    It was captain obvious to everybody. This is why all people need to learn technologies even if technology isn't your primary field.
  • http://mashable.com/2011/03/28/how-to-bypass-new-york-times-paywall/
    ... was this ever posted in fail of the day? wow.
    It was captain obvious to everybody. This is why all people need to learn technologies even if technology isn't your primary field.
    So I like to dink around with URLs and read page sources as much as the next guy; in fact disabling javascript or switching off CSS can get around a number of annoying things. But, I never would have bothered with New York Times. I assumed (making an ass out of mostly me) that they had their shit together.