This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon Ho!

edited July 2006 in Conventions
So who's going to Otakon? Are you going for the entire thing or just one day? Otakon veterans: is there any sage advice you can pass on to newbs like myself?

I, for one, am going to be there every day for as long as my legs will support my body weight. I didn't get a hotel until late in the game so I'm about as far away as you can be and still be on the Baltimore metro line, but it's better then trying to drive in every day. I've never been to a convention before (I am teh lame) and am seriously looking forward to next weekend.

Comments

• So who's going to Otakon? Are you going for the entire thing or just one day? Otakon veterans: is there any sage advice you can pass on to newbs like myself?

I, for one, am going to be there every day for as long as my legs will support my body weight. I didn't get a hotel until late in the game so I'm about as far away as you can be and still be on the Baltimore metro line, but it's better then trying to drive in every day. I've never been to a convention before (I am teh lame) and am seriously looking forward to next weekend.
    Here's my advice. Find us as soon as possible, it might be your only hope. Also, there is little we enjoy more than watching the cherries of Otakon virgins go pop! It will be even more entertaining for us since you are a total con virgin.
  • I'm definitely planning on meeting up with you at some point. One caveat, however. I'm not travelling alone; my sister will be in tow. She's a bit younger (15) but is very smart and cool and just bought her own DS Lite. As much as my mind is sure to be blown by the wonder that is Otakon I'm pretty sure her brain is going to melt out of her precious, virgin ears.

If you ever see Phantasos in pictochat anywhere (we'll be in line for thursday night pickup) you'll know I'm around.
  • edited July 2006
    I will be in line on Thursday as well. My crew and I will be waiting for our badges. I will say this my dear noob, be ready to be blown away. Also be ready to wait. I know that sounds weird but last year sucked balls with lines. Hopefully they fixed that this year.

Also I live/work in Baltimore so if anyone needs any advice on where to go to get stuff. Please let me know.

Also to EVERYONE, please be sure to bring light colored cloths. This week alone the temp. has reached over 95 degree F and the heat index has sent it up to 110 (that was yesterday). The week of Otakon looks to be a little cooler but it is still going to be hotter this year.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • On the contrary. I think the lines last year were better than any year yet. Sure, the Thursday line was long, but it moved quickly once it started. I really don't think the lines can get that much better unless they open up even more registration booths.
  • Also to EVERYONE, please be sure to bring light colored clothes. This week alone the temp. has reached over 95 degree F and the heat index has sent it up to 110 (that was yesterday). The week of Otakon looks to be a little cooler but it is still going to be hotter this year.
    No kidding, I work in Columbia and it's been just nuts. Highs around 90 and humidity the same. Blech!
  • I have black t-shirts that have lighter colors on them. Does that count?
  • I wish I was going, but none of my friend will come down with me for a day, and I don't feel like driving to Baltimore and back by myself
  • I have black t-shirts that have lighter colors on them. Does that count?
    Sure!
  • Why do I have to live so south T_T. Well at least there is yasumicon which is on the 14.
  • My only bit of advice is keep an eye on your sister. Otherwise the huggers will get her.
  • She's not a terribly cuddly person. And she is freaking athletic and strong for her age.
    I'll keep my camera at the ready, this combination has hilarious written all over it.
  • Speaking of cameras, make sure to send all your Otakon related photos to the Otakon Flickr group.
  • edited July 2006
    She's not a terribly cuddly person. And she is freaking athletic and strong for her age.
    I'll keep my camera at the ready, this combination has hilarious written all over it.
    Lack of cuddly-factor has never stopped a hugger.

I plan on being on hugger-watch when in the presence of females; you might be wise to do the same.

Unless she doesn't mind giving some fanboy a smackdown. :p
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • TheWhaleShark is right, huggers are a persistant breed. I once went to Otakon and both James and Katsu failed to stop one hugger.
  • People... hug... each... other?!
  • ...huggers?! 'Splanation please?
  • Explanation: Many of the attendees of various anime cons are hormone-enraged teenagers. Many of them have no problem randomly hugging, "glomping" or even kissing other strange teens. Some kids would even wear signs saying "glomp me" to encourage other horny teens to touch them. This year Otakon has completely banned signs and invitations are going to be treated as sexual solicitation. However, that doesn't mean the problem will dissapear. If you are a cute girl at Otakon, or other anime con, you run the risk of being randomly hugged by some teenage fanboy. Girls attending Otakon who do not want to be touched should either be protected by their friends, or should be prepared to dole out swift kicks to the gonads.
  • I remember the first thing I saw at Connecticon this year was a girl dressed as Sora from KH2 get run down and hugged by another girl.
  • Otakon '04: Jewish Wolfwood was glomped more times than I can remember.

Otakon '05: Some very very very stupid teen tried to hug/glomp my friend Amanda. She was walking behind me (and off to my right). I was just walking along when I see an upside down human fly by my right shoulder. She THREW the fucker about 7 - 10 feet. Her boyfriend walked over to the guy and said "be careful who you hug, you might get hurt" (true story!!!)
  • LOl! I need to keep that in mind if I'm cosplaying (as Alucard.)
  • Stupid Adelaide never gets any good cons and when we get cons we never get any of the good people, its always "Come to the blah blah Con and meet Jane Smith who you can see in the background of one Stargate episode if you freeze frame and squint". But we are catching up, we got an Ikea this year and we have Starbucks now.
  • Ikea: Selling furniture for college kids and divorced men. ~_^
  • I'll be at Otakon, wearing the most sensical thing I own:

black fishnet shirt
    black t-shirt
    black jeans
    black socks
    black shoes
    black hat
    bleached hair
    pale, pale skin

and lot's of deodarant & water. i tihnk i might even carry a sweat towel in my bag. i tend to sweat a lot, but it does help with keeping thin...
    at least i pretend it does.

and i'm not cosplaying last year, or doing any other performance. a complete first for me (last year cosplayed as Urahara form Bleach, year before did a fan-organized concert consisting of guilty gear and trigun music, year before cosplayed as Steve Fox from Tekken and the next day i looked like "some sort of mutated Gary Busey ninja")

at anyrate, conventions are fun as hell, and wait until late saturday or sunday to buy from the dealer's room, as prices will be delicously marked down then.
  • edited July 2006
    I'll be at Otakon, wearing the most sensical thing I own:

black fishnet shirt
    black t-shirt
    black jeans
    black socks
    black shoes
    black hat
    bleached hair
    pale, pale skin
    Interesting, I have never witnessed a human being baked and burned at the same time. Seriously gang. It's going to be well over 100 degrees this year.
  • I sent Rym and Scott a little Odeo about current conditions in Baltimore. Um....yeah. Hot as balls.
  • I can back you up on that. I was at the Orioles/White Sox this past sunday and left a crispy critter. It was worth it, though; awesome game.
  • edited August 2006
    While it was indeed a nice game I was happily cool at home in the A/C.
  • Oh yeah?! Well you didn't get to wash down your $5 hotdog with a $6 beer! So there!

Wait... dammit, you win there too!
  • My advice as a Otacon vet since the mid ninties is FORGET YOUR BLACK CLOTHING.

It will be very hot, very humid, and likely very sunny. Unless your blacks are very lightweight, you're going to cook yourself.

Also, if you have pale skin you should bring some spf 30+ suntan lotion. You never know how long you'll be outside.

If your mid-teen sister is going to be in tow, keep an eye on her. As Pete and Rym and Scott pointed out, there are going to be boatloads of horney teenagers who may try and lay a hand on her. Sitck with us and you should have no problem.

Oh, and bring a change of pants if you intend to go into the dealer's room. Seriously.
  • It's times like this it sucks to be a metalhead: I own only dark colors. :p