This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Linux, and how it all fits together. The kernel, kernel modules, applications, stacks, how the directory structure works and why it's structured that way.
    What He said.. Also a thorough introduction to the shell along with descriptions of useful commands and their options.

While I subscribe to the rss feeds of all the shows, I am really here for the tech content.

It would be a shame to dumb down the content of the Monday shows with old internet oddities and such. Don't move away from getting really technical on the Monday shows. You guys are sitting on a wealth of knowledge and experience about computer science and networking, and that is what brought me here in the first place.

The podcasts on networking and program languages were a great start. Also some of your older shows on topics like logic gates and processors were good.

Thanks for the show.
  • It would be a shame to dumb down the content of the Monday shows with old internet oddities and such. Don't move away from getting really technical on the Monday shows.
    The thing is, with rare exceptions, we've never really gotten into any serious technical depth on the show. We've barely scratched the surface of most topics, and even then we alienate a large number of our listeners... We received a lot of feedback on the logic gates topic, almost all of it negative.

Part of the problem is that most deeply technical topics are better served by a simple Google search and a reading of the documentation than by us simply re-iterating what has already been said. Us describing optimal Apache configurations isn't interesting to anyone: those who know simply read the documentation, and those who don't won't understand. There's very little middle ground there.

That said, we'll probably make a move toward more deeply technical content once we have our video component put together, since it will allow us to much more easily illustrate complex points.
  • I concur. It's nice to hear some technical talk every now and then, but going too in-depth for too long just gets very dry, as you said. CS/IT series was fun for a while, but I'm ready for a change in pace. I forgot to post before in the Network Monitoring thread, but I very much support the idea of an "Old Internet Curiosities" episode in the near future. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Well I had fun with the CS/IT shows, I learned some new things, and although some topics were the best for me, everyone learned something. However if you want to master the balance of techy and skimming, see Security Now. Leo and Steve not only walk the line, they draw it for every other podcast.

Also for a suggestion as for a future episode is about the Atari homebrew scene. Many people laugh at it at first, however when I show them the stuff they find over at Digital Press will amaze you, every month an Atari tourney takes place at the NAVA meetings, and I can tell you EVERYONE has a good time.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I agree with Tenchi Kaze. I know more about computers than the average person, but clearly not as much as Rym and Scott. I don't deal with computers like they do, so unless I have a career in computing, a lot of the stuff they talk about goes over my head. And if it goes over my head, the podcast gets boring and I zone out.
  • Also, mankind is still sorely missing a Tuesday show on

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico
    *cough*Gaming 051122*cough*
    Puerto Rico
    *cough*Gaming 051122*cough*
    Ah, but we need of course a full show with an in-depth review, witty banter and pearls of wisdom on strategy, just like the episodes on Alhambra, Settlers, Caylus, Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne!
  • Ah, but we need of course a full show with an in-depth review, witty banter and pearls of wisdom on strategy, just like the episodes on Alhambra, Settlers, Caylus, Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne!
    Meh. I'm not even sure they still play Puerto Rico anymore. Doesn't matter to me, however I did enjoy the card version of Puerto Rico they came out with later: San Juan. That was pretty fun. I wonder if Scrym played it as well.

I'm going to a game night this weekend and see what new games my friends are playing and ask if Scrym and the FRC are playing them or heard of them.
  • Ah, but we need of course a full show with an in-depth review, witty banter and pearls of wisdom on strategy, just like the episodes on Alhambra, Settlers, Caylus, Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne!
    We'll do how to win at Puerto Rico.
  • Meh. I'm not even sure they still play Puerto Rico anymore.
    I still consider it to be the best overall board game ever made.
    Doesn't matter to me, however I did enjoy the card version of Puerto Rico they came out with later: San Juan. That was pretty fun. I wonder if Scrym played it as well.
    San Juan is pretty broken and simple. The "silver mine" strategy will always win if the opportunity presents, most of the cards are too useless or weak given their opportunity costs, and the game itself is largely random.
  • edited April 2008
    Why Scott and Rym drink the hater-aid on anything non-linux, especially when talking about the Macs.
    So in other words, do an episode about why you guys hate/like the Macs/Apple computers. I know you did one in the past about Garage Band but you never really talked about why you both hate them.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Since when have they said they "hate" Macs? They have a few very specific complaints about Apple products, but they've never hated on Macs, I don't think. In fact, I think that Rym once said that if he didn't have to do what he had to do in his everyday life and was just a normal computer user then a Mac would be awesome.
  • edited April 2008
    Since when have they said they "hate" Macs? They have a few very specific complaints about Apple products, but they've never hated on Macs, I don't think. In fact, I think that Rym once said that if he didn't have to do what he had to do in his everyday life and was just a normal computer user then a Mac would be awesome.
    That's why a show is in order, to see where they stand on the issue. They mini-rant they had around Mac world was infuriating, they where wrong on all the complaints about the new apple products. (God I sound like a fanboy.)
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Girls and Dating.
    Personal stories, advice,and opinions.
  • Since when have they said they "hate" Macs? They have a few very specific complaints about Apple products, but they've never hated on Macs, I don't think. In fact, I think that Rym once said that if he didn't have to do what he had to do in his everyday life and was just a normal computer user then a Mac would be awesome.
    That's why a show is in order, to see where they stand on the issue. They mini-rant they had around Mac world was infuriating, they where wrong on all the complaints about the new apple products. (God I sound like a fanboy.)
    And they have since learned more about Macs since that show. In a very recent episode, they stated that they now considered the three major OSes to be on more or less equal ground, as far as the number of pros and cons that each have.
  • I find Linux, Windows, and OSX equally annoying and bothersome, and I'm an IT professional! ^_~

They all have serious problems, it's just that they have different problems. There really isn't a "best" OS: just a best OS for the applications you use and the requirements you have.

That said, I prefer Linux mostly for the fact that I have more control over its problems than I would with Windows or OSX.
  • I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

Often when talking about media you mention what you are talking about and then talk about it. However, you do not mention what you have talked about afterwards. So you might excite me for say a comic, but to find out what it was called I have to skip back and re-listen. If you could just name what you talked about after each geekbite, that would be great.
  • I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

Often when talking about media you mention what you are talking about and then talk about it. However, you do not mention what you have talked about afterwards. So you might excite me for say a comic, but to find out what it was called I have to skip back and re-listen. If you could just name what you talked about after each geekbite, that would be great.
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens on other podcasts. I told myself I wouldn't let it happen on GeekNights, but it's harder than you think.
  • I want a show, or at least some talk about I wanna be the guy. That's the game some people have been talking about in this thread.

It's a tribute to some old-school Nintendo games that is not only as hard, but harder. If you guys start playing and give up, that's ok also ;)
  • I want a show, or at least some talk about I wanna be the guy. That's the game some people have been talking about inthisthread.

It's a tribute to some old-school Nintendo games that is not only as hard, but harder. If you guys start playing and give up, that's ok also ;)
    Wait for my new computer to show up.
  • edited April 2008
    Wait for my new computer to show up.
    Yeah, you have a point; it will run a lot better on the new computer than it would in Wine in another one.

I can't wait to hear of your frustration.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Wait for my new computer to show up.
    Yeah, you have a point; it will run a lot better on the new computer than it would in Wine in another one.

I can't wait to hear of your frustration.
    It runs perfectly fine in Wine on my old P4 machine.
  • Shock sites

i.e: goatse, tubgirl, lemon party, and to a lesser extent "2girls1cup".
  • Satoshi Kon: The man, the legend, the master, the god.
  • Hayao Miyazaki

You guys are way overdue on talking about him.
  • Shock sites

i.e: goatse, tubgirl, lemon party, and to a lesser extent "2girls1cup".
    How much can you really say about this?

Also edit button?
  • How about trying to secure an intereview with Jared Sorensen? That would probably prove to be an interesting interview.
  • How about trying to secure an intereview with Jared Sorensen? That would probably prove to be an interesting interview.
    I'd like to.
  • I'd like to.
    Maybe you could get that interview once he and Luke Crane are done making the mysterious and enigmatic "Project Donut".