This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• Oh nos, it's bubba!

Rym & Scott's Flickr accounts + photomosaic program = ...art???
  • Got an enlarged version of that, by any chance?
  • Wow....
  • Rym & Scott's Flickr accounts + photomosaic program = ...art???
    Not something new anymore, but still neat.
    Got an enlarged version of that, by any chance?
    Won't work unless he regenerates a larger image. If the individual pictures are any bit bigger it doesn't work that great on monitors. And seeing the great number of repetitions in that image... I doubt a larger will look fun. You need a few tonnes of images for these things to look really great.
    There's no story to this. Just a freehand ink sketch and sudden need to color something. :P
  • edited May 2008
    Yay! A new post in here! I thought maybe no one was making any new art work. I'll have something weird to post here tonight. Something moe. Post more, viga !
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Nice, Viga -- let's see some more! What are you inking with?
    Yay! A new post in here! I thought maybe no one was making any new art work
    I'm always making artwork -- I just don't always post it. :)

Here's a recent page:
    This issue is kinda frustrating, because the whole thing is essentially a montage introducing the concept and characters. Not a lot of actual panel-to-panel storytelling, which is really the fun part.
  • I'm always making artwork -- I just don't always post it. :)
    Your art never ceases to amaze me. I think you do incredible work.
  • Nice, Viga -- let's see some more! What are you inking with?
    That was done with a fine point sharpie I found on the floor. I never ink pages or illustrations with sharpies though. I really don't like the outcome. I prefer my staedler pens.

I also have the ol' fashioned nibs and handle but I suck at it! Argh!
  • edited May 2008
    This issue is kinda frustrating, because the whole thing is essentially a montage introducing the concept and characters. Not a lot of actual panel-to-panel storytelling, which is really the fun part.
    Oh man, I know how you feel. I once worked on a 5 page comic of the same exact thing. It was about diamonds in Africa. It was really boring because there was nothing really sequential about it. I would characterize people even though they probably should have stayed generic but I was bored. Anyway, nice work on this page. The black/white balance is nice , once again. I think there could be more large chunks of black on the first panel. My eyes get a little confused in the center of that fight.

Edit*
    Here's something fan art I did of a friend's comic.
    The barrel is there only to support her foot... did anyone notice >
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • The barrel is there only to support her foot... did anyone notice ><?</blockquote?>

Only because you pointed it out and it's kind of odd for the barrel to just be there - but I would've assumed she would keep it around with her because it holds something. *shrugs* The hand she has out and "on the bench" is also a little off. Did you draw the bench underneath them or something?
  • Only because you pointed it out and it's kind of odd for the barrel to just be there - but I would've assumed she would keep it around with her because it holds something. *shrugs* The hand she has out and "on the bench" is also a little off. Did you draw the bench underneath them or something?
    I pointed it out because It was something that I knew I did wrong no matter if anyone saw it or not. I could make it better by adding other barrel. Good call on the hand, A shadow would have helped there and an extension of the bench. I'll see if I can get to fixing that.

Anyway, I spent the last hour trying to figure out how to post a video on youtube. It turns out, youtube does some nasty compressing! Anyway here is a little animation I worked on staring moe scrym! I've been wanting to do some sort of Voice Over fun ever since I got my cintiq. It was more work then I expected. (ktep, from this forum, helped me out too) I learned a lot from this little project. When flash gives you shortcuts, be more open to them -_-.
  • Oh wow. Well done.
  • ROFL! How cool was that? I watched it 3 times in a row. The gestures seem oddly appropriate... somehow. XD
  • Most hilarious and well done Mankoon. I like the exaggerated gesturing of Rym, it really adds to it.
  • Oh man, that's awesome! I keep watching it over and over, and it's starting to sound like a song. I didn't realize you animated, Mankoon. I love the secondary motion of Scott's skirt.
    I also have the ol' fashioned nibs and handle but I suck at it! Argh!
    Oh god yes. I just picked up a bunch of G-pen nibs at Kinokuniya a couple weeks ago, and they're better than the Hunt nibs I had, but still...such a pain. I want to learn anyway, so I can do commissions and stuff, but I can't imagine not sticking with digital for production work.
    think there could be more large chunks of black on the first panel. My eyes get a little confused in the center of that fight.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I should've taken more care there. Hopefully the colors clear it up a bit. Anyway, too late now -- do better next time. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Awesome vid. Total intershiz there!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Oh my god. Awesome art, and an awesome animation. Now the question here is, is there anyone outside of the creator on this board that can pinpoint that quote? I have a vague idea of where to look, but not much. XD
  • Something about hearing Scrym's voices come out of cartoons makes them actually SOUND like cartoons. Especially Scott. Maybe because he just has one word.
  • Glad you guys liked it. After I posted it, I realized that Rym's glasses had the layer turned off when I rendered it out. Whoops. I see few other little mistakes here and there. Maybe I should just repost it later. Anyway, it was really fun to do.

@Funfetus: I love traditional animation. Occasionally I get to do that at my job but not often. The urge to animate something started to build up and this was born. After a week the fun level started dropping because it is really hard and tedious. But I'm happy I did it and got the urge out! Next time I'm going to let myself use some flash shortcuts to get it done faster. Even though it was rough ... sometimes I hear them say something new and it makes me want to do it again >..>

@myself: Try to guess that clip!
  • edited May 2008
    Yay!Yay! That was awesome!
    The urge to animate something started to build up and this was born. After a week the fun level started dropping because it is really hard and tedious. But I'm happy I did it and got the urge out!
    Yup, sounds about right. I keep thinking "Weee, I love to animate!" And then I get halfway through a project and I am all like "Guuu" and then I finish it and go "Weee!" again.

...I have an animation that I am going to post next week.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • ...I have an animation that I am going to post next week.
    YES! Post it asap!! I can't wait to see it ^_^ Do you use flash too? Because man, oh man, I could have used some short cuts.
  • Yup, I use flash a lot. I've gotta admit, though, I mostly just use it like I am animating on paper. I don't know much action script and stuff like that.
  • I had the urge to make an animation for a dream sequence in a theatrical juggling show I put together with my girlfriend. It took way longer than I thought, and I re-started the project about a quarter of the way in. Then I knew things were cutting it close when I packed the graphics tablet in my suitcase and was still animating less than 2 hours before the show started. Getting some decent software and a clue would have helped a ton.

The worst thing is that we only performed the show once due to it having too much technical setup. Maybe I'll dig out the animation (though it was never properly finished to my satisfaction) and post it here.
  • Yup, I use flash a lot. I've gotta admit, though, I mostly just use it like I am animating on paper. I don't know much action script and stuff like that.
    @gomidog: Oh, I don't know much action script either. I am like you and mostly do traditional style in flash. I'm stubborn but I've realized that if I want to make more animations, I have to do it faster. When I was animating this, I realized that I missed some frames of Rym's top hair tuft. So I made a simple symbol on a different layer and tracked it to his head. It was much faster then drawing it frame by frame. I could have symbolized more things, like eyes and eyebrows. I'd make sure that it wouldn't look obviously symbolized. I like traditional animation much better then symbol animation.

@Lukeburrage: I'm happy to hear that you animate to! Post it even though its not to your satisfaction. The animation I did, didn't reach my expectations either , but it's a start.

If more people have animation's to show, there should probably be a topic about it.
  • Once I have the time, I'd love to get into some animation. I remember deciding I was going to be an animator when I saw the Disney Aladdin when I was a kid, but it didn't stick.

So you guys will teach me, right?
    It's also nigh impossible to animate anything non-simple with Actionscript. Bouncy ball, sure, character running across the screen? HELL NO. And it generally takes longer than just drawing the lower leg, making a keyframe x frames further, rotate the leg to the new position and right-click make motion tween. One only needs Actionscript for interactive stuff. Other than that just motion tween a ton of symbols, just make sure you don't end up with weird/ugly looking frames.

Aaaah, even though I can't draw at all, I loved messing around with Flash 8.
  • Alright, just finished the last page of my first issue, here. So assuming the client approves, this one's in the can, and I get my moneys. :) Just your standard cybernetic-superheroes-looking-cool splash page.
  • I was making an icon and decided to make a wallpaper out of it as well. Yeah, so original.