This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• I like it. It's somehow...familiar.
  • Never seen Eva! *GASP*
  • No, I have. I was understating. :)

(Actually, I never quite finished it...been meaning to get back and watch the last couple episodes.)
  • Actually, first time I've ever seen a NERV parody image. Looks good :D
  • Uh, I draw things, though not very well. I'm a cartoony, non-anime drawin' person.
    Subduction - Cover Page
    It didn't scan very well, so the colors look kinda weird. I drew the characters, the title, and also inked them. My friends colored. This was for a science project if you can't tell, and the whole thing is on my Flickr if you care to look. The characters from left to right are Rufus, Herb, and Prof. I think that's all I can say about this.
  • I hope no one's getting sick of me posting my pages. I just finished this one, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I feel like it's starting to come together for me. This is the first real action scene I've gotten to draw on this project, and it was a lot of fun.
  • I hope no one's getting sick of me posting my pages. I just finished this one, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I feel like it's starting to come together for me. This is the first real action scene I've gotten to draw on this project, and it was a lot of fun.
    Keep posting the pages, you are too good.
  • I enjoy looking at your pages! they're always really crisp. Do you add the sound effects after or does someone else do it? Is action your favorite thing to draw in comics? I've noticed that my favorite thing to draw is panel to panel progression(if that makes sense). Anyway, great job. I hope this makes people post art again.
  • Thanks, guys.
    Do you add the sound effects after or does someone else do it? Is action your favorite thing to draw in comics?
    This is standard American-style assembly line comic-making -- someone else adds sound-effects, letters, colors, etc. Honestly, I don't know what my favorite thing to draw in comics is -- I haven't really drawn enough pages yet. Action is definitely fun. Really, any kind of character interaction is fun, especially when there's, as you said, panel-to-panel progression. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that this issue is more fun to draw because of the panel-to-panel storytelling, whereas the first issue was basically a montage.
  • edited August 2008
    Hey, Funfetus, how long does it take to do a page? I'd take me forever to do that. I can't wait to see the finished book.

I did this a few days ago on a whim. This is my dream kimono.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Dear Funfetus,

I want your comic so badly.

Sincerely,
    Starfox
  • When you plan the art do you have to leave room for text? Do you know in advance how big the speech bubbles have to be? I mean, I wouldn't want to cover up any part of those images!
    Just a question, but is the big guy being shot in the middle frame, or is he shooting something out of his chest?
  • Just a question, but is the big guy being shot in the middle frame, or is he shooting something out of his chest?
    It looks like a chest laser to me.
  • Just a question, but is the big guy being shot in the middle frame, or is he shooting something out of his chest?
    It looks like a chest laser to me.
    Definitely a chest-mounted laser. You can see it clear as day in panel one. Could I suggest maybe tweaking panel 1 to indicate that the chest laser is charging up or something? Can't go wrong with Kirby Krackle.
  • I hope no one's getting sick of me posting my pages.
    God no. Keep going.
  • Not that you need any more encouragement, Funfetus, but those pages are awesome and I can't wait to see more.
  • edited August 2008
    Thanks a lot for all the encouragement, everyone.

Viga -- Ideally, it takes about a good day's work to finish a page. Sometimes longer, if it's a complicated one. I rarely get a whole day to just sit down and work, though, so most of them are done over a few days.
    That's a great picture! Really nice, clean, graphic style. I like the eyes -- they're super-intense.

LukeBurrage -- This page doesn't have any text on it (though I figure they'll probably throw in some sound effects -- there are some "dead spots" they can put them, where there's art, but nothing important), but when there's going to be text, I definitely take it into consideration. Actually, I got an impromptu portfolio review from an Image Shadowline editor at Comic-Con last month, and she remarked on how well I leave space for word balloons, which apparently a lot of artists don't. You just estimate how big the balloons will be based on the text in the script. It's all easier if I'm doing it all myself, because I can position the word balloons myself -- it's a crapshoot with how the letterer will do it. I haven't actually seen any of this stuff lettered yet.

Apreche -- that's a good idea, I may do that. Thanks.

Gunter -- you'd be surprised about the encouragement. I'm really pleased with how this page came out, which is why I posted it, but some pages are just this epic struggle that totally breaks my spirit, and I never want to look at them again. Art makes me oscillate between "I'm the shit" and "I'm shit" so quickly it's ridiculous. :)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Apreche -- that's a good idea, I may do that. Thanks.
    Make sure to tell the writers to insert the phrase "IMMA CHARGIN' MAH LASSAHH!!"

A vector I made. Sky Boards ftw.
  • I wish Sky Boards were real. ;_;

Really cool, Norvu.
  • Thanks a lot for all the encouragement, everyone.
    Good fucking... Man, you have the mad art skillz. Continue posting, please.
    In the sense of people jumping out of planes with boards they are. I take it you meant flying boards of awesome though.
    In the sense of people jumping out of planes with boards they are. I take it you meant flying boards of awesome though.
    I was imagining hover boards. I forgot about that sky boarding. ^_^;
  • I hope no one's getting sick of me posting my pages.
    He who gets sick of you posting your comic pages shall be banned, if I had any say in it.
  • Here's a new one.
  • edited October 2008
    Experiments, fuck yeah~! Awesome as always.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Amazing work, Funfetus. Do you have any idea as to when this comic is getting released? I really want to read it.
  • I love that art style, Funfetus.
  • I'm working on some kinda cyberpunk CD Cover for a Graphic Arts project.
    Cyber-Punk Cover 1
    This is a very rough sketch that I'm working off of. Another week or two and I'll have it done. I would work on it at home but I need Adobe Illustrator, and I have no where near the kinda money to get it.