This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Stakes in Games

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about what it means to add stakes to games. Do they just remove intrinsic enjoyment? Can the old fashioned "arm slap" add anything to games like Dobble? Antes and wagering have existed for a long time (e.g., in Magic the Gathering), but we don't think of them in other gaming contexts. We also discuss Arthur Chu, the Jeopardy hero, not without precedent in his desire to win games (and money). Hint: you should always play to win. Rym describes what he would change in Nidhogg (it's not perfect).

Be sure to check out the Book Club (Idoru), the forum (an Ivory Tower of discourse), and the new episode of GeekNights Presents!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• My internet fu is not working at the moment but there was an amazing series of shows called Anything to win that talked about Michael Larson as well as other people who gamed the system in order to win. I would link it because it was a great show but I can not find it at the moment.
  • Re: Timmerian Fiends

Two years ago, we drafted a box of Homelands for fun, and my opponent agreed to let me play Timmerian Fiends. I used it to take his Clockwork Steed and beat him with it in the next game.
  • I've come to the same conclusions as Rym w/ respect to Nidhogg, aside from chasing away all players. I am better than all of my local friends, but I am very curious to know if I am just big fish in the little pond, so I headed out online. A good portion of my matches suffered from stuttering and glitches, but I did eventually get some competent opponents. I won much more often than I lost, but I was playing around noon on Sat & Sun, and the current player count would fluctuate between 1 and 3. Never saw these 20-man lobbies.

I agree that there needs to be a respawn button. Suiciding off the screen DOES typically get me back on the same map, and in front of my opponent. Every now and then I wind up with a bad spawn point, but that's more the exception than the rule.

If anyone wants to play one night, let me know.
  • I will organize a listener tournament if people are interested. Double elimination. Ad-hoc play.
  • But how well could Larsen play POCKET SIMON Hmmmm? (;
  • I want to know why Watson didn't play like Arthur Chu, that seems like a serious misstep by the people responsible for programming the game logic. Maybe there were some stipulations by the network/show.
  • Dr. Timo said:

I want to know why Watson didn't play like Arthur Chu, that seems like a serious misstep by the people responsible for programming the game logic. Maybe there were some stipulations by the network/show.

GOOD CALL! I think they probably hard-coded that part of the software and put all the processing power into getting the questions right.
  • But how well could Larsen play POCKET SIMON Hmmmm? (;

BZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.z.....z.....z..........z..............

• Rym said:

I will organize a listener tournament if people are interested. Double elimination. Ad-hoc play.

YES

• If antes were still in Magic, I could imagine a most evil card indeed.
    Something similar to this idea: Chaos Confetti
    Spell card that allows you to, without looking at which card it is, rip your ante card up into tiny pieces and throw those pieces at the enemy side of the field for damage. Best hope it's not important.
    Can't think of a good name for it.
  • edited February 2014
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:
    Read the errata.
  • That's some baby mode shit

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=73967

And people say that you can't "stack" the cards but I would argue that.
  • MrPeriod said:
    Wow that is like 100% of my prior bosses.
    "My "insert young person from my family" wrote this HTML page for me".

That Jeopardy dude is a hero.
  • Some of this Yotam Perel stuff is great. Mostly his newer stuff.
  • edited February 2014
    So I kind of missed all the hubub about Arthur Chu and am now learned about it when I caught up with Geeknights. Youtube for the rescue:

The bad thing is that if you type "arthur chu jeopardy" into youtube, you get a ton of news stories but no real instances seeing him actually play the game.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on