This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

167891012»

Comments

• Hot damn that looks good. I'm in depending on the day and time.
  • This sounds magical. Alas I don't think I'm well versed in the rules of burning wheel to not cause my presence to slow everyone else down. While I'd love to watch and learn (if possible (only online, not going to the city to sit in a corner)) I will be sitting this one out for the collective good.
  • God damn it I guess this is happening. I'm going to make a separate thread with full, real info by tomorrow.
  • Rym said:

God damn it I guess this is happening.

It was my Totes McGotes that hooked, you right? ^_~

• What is the magic situation looking like? I'd be curious in trying some of the new systems in the Codex :)
  • I want to do this so, so badly. It will depend entirely on timing.
  • edited October 2016
    So I brought the idea of trying out burning wheel with my group again and the possibility of doing Dungeon
    World and for whatever reason the second time through they're totally fine with doing a one off of The Sword for the purposes of learning the game.

They still have problems (we have one extraordinarily picky eater), but I guess I just demonstrated I'm also a bit of the problem assuming they'd have a problem with prebuilt characters without broaching the issue with them more than once. Live and learn, be better.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I won't be able to respond to the digital game until I get back from Australia, so hold your horses. ;)

I'll make a thread and start some basic stuff before I leave, but HORSES. HOLD THEM.
  • @Naoza just want to cheer you on and tell you to keep the faith. It took me a few years to get the wheel rolling, but I just made it a point to learn the rules (people appreciate that), committed myself to making time to play rpgs (not easy when you're a salary man!), and now I have more rpg than I can handle.

If you need BW advice definitely hit up the G+ or Reddit communities. A lot of new GMs have asked probably all the new GM questions you could ask. There's a lot of advice there for sure. Probably too much advice. Also Adam Koebel (@skinnyghost on twitter) has some good, BW-specific videos up on youtube which I'd recommend if you feel you need some actual play examples.
  • @GroverBomb Thank you sir, I set out with a goal to play burning wheel and by god I intend to attain it. I wanna know the joy of some real rules based role play.
  • Sooooo, last night I ran, for my little gaming group: The Sword.

I fucked up a bunch and it was slow and painful, and there were a lot of we're doing a thing none of us have never done before and making mistakes and going back and redoing things that were done wrong the first time around.

WE LOVED IT! We didn't eve finish as we're grownups with jobs and midnight on Sunday is no time to be beginning a long combat. I'll do a longer write-up and ask questions later if anyone is interested or cares but for the moment HYPE!!

This is what it's like to set out with a goal and accomplish it. It feels great. I'mma have a burning wheel persistent game soon enough.
  • Rym said:

I won't be able to respond to the digital game until I get back from Australia, so hold your horses. ;)

I'll make a thread and start some basic stuff before I leave, but HORSES. HOLD THEM.

Am I too late and/or not eligible for this? I would be very interested in joining.
  • Naoza said:

Sooooo, last night I ran, for my little gaming group: The Sword.

I fucked up a bunch and it was slow and painful, and there were a lot of we're doing a thing none of us have never done before and making mistakes and going back and redoing things that were done wrong the first time around.

WE LOVED IT! We didn't eve finish as we're grownups with jobs and midnight on Sunday is no time to be beginning a long combat. I'll do a longer write-up and ask questions later if anyone is interested or cares but for the moment HYPE!!

This is what it's like to set out with a goal and accomplish it. It feels great. I'mma have a burning wheel persistent game soon enough.

As a person who recently concluded my own mid term Burning Wheel game I'd be happy to help. My new "All Viking Everything" just finished character creation so now I'm ramping up ideas for my own as well.
  • Jordan O. said:

Naoza said:

Sooooo, last night I ran, for my little gaming group: The Sword.

As a person who recently concluded my own mid term Burning Wheel game I'd be happy to help. My new "All Viking Everything" just finished character creation so now I'm ramping up ideas for my own as well.
    I think I mishandled a character attempting to punch another character in the face, with the receiving character attempting to do nothing more than dodge the blow. I did a power opposed by reflex vs test. But then when not much had really changed some time later the same exchange happened again and I did another of the same vs test (big no no or so I'm led to believe, flies right in the face of let it ride)

Then the whole thing came to a head when the aggressor no longer content with his blows not landing decided to actually fight which started a real fight, or would have had people not taken the opportunity to go or the sword.
  • Reflexes is just a counter for how many actions you get in a Fight exchange; it's never rolled or used as a obstacle.

Brawling versus Speed is probably how I'd do it; see Strike versus Avoid in the Fight interactions. But, right, you should start a proper Fight instead of letting them try again.

I'm glad you had a good time!
  • Just be prepared when you roll out a non pre-made game that you are more than likely not gonna get to the story on the first session. Character creation has typically taken forever in this game, especially with people who have never played something like it before.