This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• Naoza said:

Ah, I see the solution to my "Get myself into a game of burning wheel" problem is, abandon friends, get better ones.

You don't need to abandon your friends to make a new group of friends to play Burning Wheel.

In my case, I had to make a new group, but it turned out great.
  • I definitely need to get a Burning Wheel group going. I've been feeling the need to run a game (BTW anyone want to try to do a digital game? :P )
  • Andrew said:

I definitely need to get a Burning Wheel group going. I've been feeling the need to run a game (BTW anyone want to try to do a digital game? :P )

I'd be all up for that. Depending on frequency and time of the day.
  • I could be up for a digital game. As long as we schedule it on a specific date/time, no more than once a week and no less than once a month. I don't want to RUN one digitally, but I will commit to playing one.

I'm starting a local meatspace game as soon as the weather gets too bad to bike.
  • I'd be down for a digital game, if you'd have a noob to the system. A noob willing to actually do his part and read the fucking book and come prepared but a noob all the same, literally unable to take his actions with confidence, at least for a little while.
  • Shit yeah I'm down.
  • I would also be down for a digital campaign. I'm in a similar camp as Naoza where I have the books and am reading through them, but don't have any local friends who can attend a regular campaign.
  • I shall consult the most unholy of tomes and augur the future of this party. Pray the gods find you worthy.
  • Naoza and theknoxinator feel my pain. I'd also be up for a digital campaign.
  • We tried the digital Torchbearer, and it was not bad, but for the scheduling issues. Since it's getting cold, I would be perfectly happy to run/play a campaign or two, physically or digitally, but not unless all the participants are extremely reliable.
  • I can dig it, i have been wanting to play instead of GM for a while. How do we figure out when to meet?
  • I've been in a real pickle finding games to play in instead of run. How can I design games if I don't know what it's like to be one of the victims?
  • I'd be in if this happens.
  • edited September 2016
    The question becomes are all of us reliable? Like for a game of burning wheel I'd take a train to NYC no more than once a week and no less than once a month (kinda like Rym suggested) but on the scale of "I'm likely to bail on this" to "I'm determined to make this happen no matter what" I'm about a 9 or a 9.5 towards determined. Can the same be said for everyone else here? (if you say yes and then you're the one to bail... well I have nothing to threaten you with, so I guess I'd be sad.)
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I'm willing to give it a shot. Maybe we can make people sign a pledge so they feel committed. Obviously no actual consequences for breaking the pledge, just a psychological thing. And then if there are fail sessions, just cancel the whole thing sooner rather than later.

It's not a problem to play just a few sessions and then have a game die. The problem is when I continuously block out hours on my schedule, cancel other things, and then the game doesn't happen. I figure as soon as one session fails due to people bailing out, we can survey and see if people are still committed. After a second fail, just shut the whole thing down. If no failures, let the campaign continue!
  • I'm down for a digital game. Most of the people I've with played in Portland are only into D&D, Pathfinder or the Fate system.
  • This sounds excellent. I'm willing to do some of the legwork should it be done over google groups or the roll20... thing?
  • The key is a specific calendar invite for every single session. That way it's a positive confirmation. If shit happens and people have to bail, we know well in advance.

BW can be structured such that not everyone has to be at every session too. My new thief game is designed specifically to handle that case.
  • Can ya'll record and post online? More content for /r/burningwheel is always good. ;)
  • Looks like we might have enough people for a couple groups. I'm actually willing to try to GM, though I guarantee it will be rough as I have zero experience doing so.

Also, it's probably time to invest in a PC camera if this gets going.
  • My webcam has been doing nothing but showing a black screen for quite some time now when recording. It's just I use it so infrequently I've never bothered to get in there and fix it. Not that I don't have a spare if googling it doesn't work.
  • BTW, finally got my copy of the Codex. WOW, the commentary section is amazing and will really improve gameplay. I've never really GM'd a strong BW game, so this is type of material is really useful.
  • Yeah. I'm reading that thing deeply before I start my new game.
  • I'm in for a digital game of BW with FRC people. :-)
  • Hmmm.....

I have a crazy idea. I will NOT promise that this will happen. But I could "federate" this thief game I've been stewing on for a while. I could run an online one, and the offline NYC one, in the same world at the same time. It's set up to be episodic, and I have a pretty good way to update the "world" as events change it.

I'll stew on this further.

Think about what you'd want to play with the following setting, aimed at 3LP humans.

The city of Dubris is in turmoil! Mayor General Richard, after decades of relative equilibrium between the right citizens of our city and its criminal families, has undertaken a sudden and massive crackdown on the established thieves guilds. With the old order gone (jailed, run out of town, or dead by and large), the city is ripe for the taking.

All of this comes with the rumblings of war on the continent, new trading alliances in the city, and an influx of refugees from the north.

You lot have formed, for various reasons, your own thieves guild, and hope to take advantage of the chaos and make your mark.

Some of the major players:

King Brick
    This hard mother fucker is the head of a band of toughs openly shaking down the shopkeepers and respectable citizens in Bricktown, a district known so for the fact that it's constructed almost entirely out of the excavated bricks of the ancient city that once stood. Such brazen and open crime would in the past have been met with deadly persuasion by the respectable thieves guilds now runs unopposed.

Lord Watts
    The current Magister Constable of Dubris. He was responsible for organizing the crackdown, but has done little to follow up on the power vacuum left in its wake. Openly corrupt, probably incompetent, and very much too old for this shit.

Lord Elliott
    Come into money upon the death of his father, young Lord Elliott sees himself as a crusader for justice and order. Incorruptable and with a heart of wood, he has openly petitioned to replace Lord Watts (so far to no avail). Public member of the Council of 11.

Capo Burundi
    Father of the wide civil alliance of thieves' guilds, he was arrested personally by Watts, and currently lives in considerable luxury in the city jail, likely still running what remains of this personal family guild from there.

Mayor General Richard
    The mayor of Dubris, Richard is overworked and under-appreciated. He is the one who actually ordered the crackdown.

The Council of 11
    The Mayor General is backed by an anonymous council of 11 members that actually runs the city. Elected through byzantine and obscure methods, they represent the city's various interests. The Mayor is free to do as he wishes, except when specifically ordered by simple majority vote by the council. Only one member - Lord Elliott - has publicly unmasked himself. Though shocking, it is not entirely unprecedented.

Some of the various factions and names struggling for power in each district of the city.

Brickdown
    King Brick (undisputed)

The Enclave
    Crazy Harold
    The Heaven and Earth Society
    The Watchers

The Hive
    The Peacekeepers
    Little Finger
    Tons of minor street gangs

Merchant's Row
    Entirely disputed and up for grabs, but little violence has yet spilled over into the daylight.

Civic District
    The Burundi Family
    The Civic Sisterhood

The Cantonment
    The Ceaser
    Lord General Archibald (the actual military authority)
  • Ooooooooooo count me in for sure in the online portion
  • The only rules I really have are that the party has to ALREADY BE FRIENDS and ALL WANT THE GUILD TO SUCCEED.
  • That looks awesome. I would love to thieve if this happens and there is room.
  • I'm going to burn a character tonight I think :)
  • Imma burn a character this weekend or Monday. I am Totes McGotes in.