This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pyro unlockables for Team Fortress 2

RymRym
edited June 2008 in Video Games
Ok, I think I'm done with this game. Unlike with the medic, the unlockable weapons for the Pyro are significantly tactical options, and one of them is outright superior in every way. Anyone who has not gathered the required achievements to unlock them is at a clear, substantial disadvantage.

Comments

• Ok, I think I'm done with this game.
    You were still playing it?
  • You were still playing it?
    If you find a server running, say, ctf_well, then it's a damn good team-based capture-the-flag FPS.
  • Oh, Meet the Sniper is out as well, but I haven't watched it. I will when I get home.
  • edited June 2008
    You were still playing it?
    If you found a server running, say, ctf_well, then it was a damn good team-based capture-the-flag FPS.
    I guess that's what you meant?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I still say that even if all the weapons are equal, but different, that it ruins the game. However, an argument can be made that all of the Pyro's weapons are equal but different. This is because they have also upgraded the Pyro's default weapon with an alternate compressed air attack.
  • Does time spent playing before achievements were added count towards unlocking said achievements?
  • I've heard that the achievements are so hard to get that people are making custom maps with the sole purpose of allowing users to easily get the achievements. What does that say about the game?
  • edited June 2008
    I've heard that the achievements are so hard to get that people are making custom maps with the sole purpose of allowing users to easily get the achievements. What does that say about the game?
    The achievements are actually intended to be a way to encourage people to learn the Source SDK, so that the modding community will be more active. The fps with the biggest modding community is the winner, as we saw with Half-Life 1 kicking everyone elses's ass, despite technological inferiority.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The achievements are actually intended to be a way to encourage people to learn the Source SDK, so that the modding community will be more active.
    Are you serious? They were included for this purpose?
  • They are doing another free weekend. I'll be playing it a little since the updates aren't on the XBox. The unlockables and achievements actually look kinda interesting and fun. Can I use the flare gun to shoot out turrets from a distance? Can the projectiles bounce of walls? And how the hell am I supposed to kill somebody with the Kamehameha-taunt?

I also can't shake the feeling that most of you are denouncing the game because it isn't what you wanted it to be rather than judging it on what it actually is.
  • I also can't shake the feeling that most of you are denouncing the game because it isn't what you wanted it to be rather than judging it on what it actually is.
    The reason to denounce achievements in this game is because it changes it from being what it is to something else.

NASCAR works so well because all drivers have to work within the same restrictions. That is how TF2 started. How well would NASCAR work if whenever you won a race you were allowed to add more horsepower to your car? That is what these achievements do. They take what was a level playing field and turned it into an unlevel playing field.
  • I'm ok for having achievements, but god damn the new equipment should not be linked to them.
  • edited June 2008
    Are you serious? They were included for this purpose?
    I highly doubt that's was Valve's intent, but it sure worked out that way didn't it? I think the Portal gun and the graphical style of TF2 where the things that got the mod community excited.
    I also can't shake the feeling that most of you are denouncing the game because it isn't what you wanted it to be rather than judging it on what it actually is.
    You're exactly right. Sometimes you can have a thing in a certain category be miles better than everything else in the same category. However, sometimes you can have a category that is inherently shitty. MMORPGs suck. The suckitude is inherent in the fundamental characteristics of the genre. Even though WoW is the best MMORPG ever created, it can't be good because it's still an MMORPG. It's impossible to make a good MMORPG, because you would have to change it so much that it would no longer be an MMORPG. TF2 is basically now a no-skill baby FPS. It's probably the greatest baby FPS ever. However, baby FPSes suck. My poops are the greatest poops ever. They're still poops.

The reason TF2 is disappointing is because it didn't have to be a baby FPS. It wouldn't have taken much tweaking to turn it into a great hardcore fps. It could have even been the greatest hardcore fps. It was a poop that could easily have been turned into gold, but they chose to stink it up instead. That is not something you can say for most poops.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The reason TF2 is disappointing is because it didn't have to be a baby FPS. It wouldn't have taken much tweaking to turn it into a great hardcore fps. It could have even been the greatest hardcore fps. It was a poop that could easily have been turned into gold, but they chose to stink it up instead
    Why not just mod TF2 then? It shouldn't be that hard...
  • The reason TF2 is disappointing is because it didn't have to be a baby FPS. It wouldn't have taken much tweaking to turn it into a great hardcore fps. It could have even been the greatest hardcore fps. It was a poop that could easily have been turned into gold, but they chose to stink it up instead
    Why not just mod TF2 then? It shouldn't be that hard...
    Sure, I'll get right on that. Put it on the top of the shit-talk pile with everything else.
  • It wouldn't have taken much tweaking to turn it into a hardcore fps. It was a poop that could easily have been turned into gold, but they chose to stink it up instead.
    Maybe you should make a mod for it that fixes the problems. You said it wouldn't take much tweaking, so tweak it!
  • Sure, I'll get right on that. Put it on the top of the shit-talk pile with everything else.
    I didn't mean you in particular, but the gaming community in general.
  • edited June 2008
    Put it on the top of the shit-talk pile with everything else.
    I wonder how big this pile is now. ^_~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited June 2008
    I just played HL2/2 today, all in one go, and really liked it.
    I'm sort of indifferent to the guns for achievements malarkey. Even if you gave the BLU team all the weapons to choose from and the REDs just the basic weapons, so few people can operate effectively as a team that it doesn't tip things as far as I've noticed.
    I still would really like to try getting a Tribes 2 match going though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Why not just mod TF2 then? It shouldn't be that hard...
    I suspect there's a very low actual demand for it. A small but vocal minority. Most gamers want achievements, apparently.
  • I'm not a fan either way on achievements, but I've enjoyed getting the medic achievements, and looking at the pyro ones it looks like they are going to be fun to do as well. I think that it helps to have a person or people to play with, but that can be applied to most things. Generally I think that it would have been better is all the classes got all the achievements and weapon upgrades at the same time rather then it trickling out like it is, but I understand why they are doing it. It keeps people coming back to play the game, and it also means that people are going enticed to play all the classes. Perhaps they then discover a class they didn't think they would like, but turns out they have fun with it.

Also I don't think that TF2 is a "baby" FPS. It does have an lower barrier to entry as compared to most FPS games, but that just makes it easier for new people to play. But a skilled player still has a large advantage over a less skilled one.
  • edited June 2008
    You may not have noticed but, with the exception of Tribes 2, all of Scrytts favourite FPSs are mods. Suffice to say, the level of difficulty they have come to expect has rarely, if ever, been provided in retail games. This is my hypothesis [thingy you start by saying then flesh out the details?] at least.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • We're still talking about this game?
  • You may not have noticed but, with the exception of Tribes 2, all of Scrytts favourite FPSs are mods. Suffice to say, the level of difficulty they have come to expect has rarely, if ever, been provided in retail games. This is my hypothosis [thingy you start by saying then flesh out the details?] at least.
    Hypothesis.
  • Aww wank, every time Firefox updates it forgets the en-GB dictionary update!
  • It seems that whenever Scrym says they are going to stop using something because it's become garbage, they never really stop. They just use it much less. Case in point: Digg, TF2. I'm certain there are other such things.
  • I am saving so much money by not buying a video game until 3 weeks after Scrym carry on about how great it is. If, after 3 weeks, they still say it's a great game I think about buying it.
  • I'm not positive on this, but isn't there a console command you can use to unlock all the achievements and weapons?
  • It seems that whenever Scrym says they are going to stop using something because it's become garbage, they never really stop. They just use it much less. Case in point: Digg, TF2. I'm certain there are other such things.
    I only go to Digg once in a blue moon if I want to watch some videos in the living room, and there aren't any. Thanks to the Roku and Hulu, that will almost never happen again.

I haven't played TF2 in months, though Rym played it recently.
  • There was a console command to unlock all the achievemnts. However Valve removed it in a patch a week after the medic update and which also had the effect of reseting the unlocks and achievements of through who had used the command line (there was a eventual fix). Apparently Valve had thought about allowing the player who didn't want achievement yet still the unlock to do so then moved away from that idea, what a shame.

I am currently enjoying the game as it is (not a tactical, hardcore and skillful CTF fps) with its new appoach of payloads, control points, general style and humour-octoberfest!! (probably due to the fact that I really got into fps gaming when cs:s first came out). As a current player who doesn't achievement farm I am looking forward to the Pyro unlocks, but wonders when I will actually get to use them (at least the Pyro will be tweaked, which he needs, as he is a close range class yet a one on one with heavy, the heavy wins 9/10), I only just got the first of the medic unlocks.

I beleive what Valve is doing to TF2 is basically what it did to cs (all the updates) it took until cs 1.5 for it to be massively popular and tweaked enough for a balanced and hardcore-skills game. Still Tf2 will never be a game for the people wanting a true skills fps based game.