This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    especially Deltron 3030
    Damn you!!!! You took my Deltron!
    I don't care for most of the mainstream crap, I like the kinda stuff the Deltron 3030 kind of stuff, recommendations?
    Psyche Origami, Lyrics Born, The Crest, The Roots, and Sweatshop Union are all worth checking out.

Also, we should all be ashamed by the fact that Rakim and Eric B. haven't even been mentioned yet.

Post edited by Walker on
  • I was really heavy into hip-hop all throughout high school. But Nas got it right when he said hip-hop is dead. This commercial bullshit that's coming out, with bubble gum raps and idolization of gangster bullshit, that was never what hip-hop was. Even rappers with the most violent lyrics used to discuss politics and shit that meant something. I'm talking, of course, of people like Ice-T and Ice Cube, not to mention 2Pac. Now talking like you have money is all it takes to succeed.

It's gotten so bad recently that it's soured my taste on good hip-hop as well. Slowly but surely, all the hip-hop on my playlist is making room for more neoclassical/post-rock pieces. If you still actually like hip-hop, the underground scene is where it's at.
  • People have always told me that "classic" hip hop artists like 2Pac and Public Enemy are awesome, but I guess I never really cared enough to cultivate a taste for them. I've found that I have a lot more patience for hip hop that uses a actual instruments rather than computer-generated beats. The Flobots do this to great effect, and the Roots do this also. More hip hop people should do this.

Also, I really like The Coup because they sing about Communism, which seems like a refreshing departure from normal hip hop fare. And looking back at my list, I apparently just really like hip hop groups that use the traditionally punk rock naming convention of "The [Noun]s."
  • The [Noun]s
    That's a good band name.
  • The [Noun]s
    That's a good band name.
    I know! I'm surprised someone hasn't already started that band. If I had any musical talent or drive, I'd totally be on top of that.
  • Posted By: ClassicBut Nas got it right when he said hip-hop is dead. This commercial bullshit that's coming out, with bubble gum raps and idolization of gangster bullshit, that was never what hip-hop was. Even rappers with the most violent lyrics used to discuss politics and shit that meant something... Now talking like you have money is all it takes to succeed.Wow, someone's been talking to HungryJoe too much lately.
  • Wow, someone's been talking to HungryJoe too much lately.
    Well, he's right. Almost all mainstream hip-hop nowadays is shitty bass and clap garbage.
  • I was really heavy into hip-hop all throughout high school. But Nas got it right when he said hip-hop is dead. This commercial bullshit that's coming out, with bubble gum raps and idolization of gangster bullshit, that was never what hip-hop was. Even rappers with the most violent lyrics used to discuss politics and shit that meant something. I'm talking, of course, of people like Ice-T and Ice Cube, not to mention 2Pac. Now talking like you have money is all it takes to succeed.

It's gotten so bad recently that it's soured my taste on good hip-hop as well. Slowly but surely, all the hip-hop on my playlist is making room for more neoclassical/post-rock pieces. If you still actually like hip-hop, the underground scene is where it's at.
    Word. The only new Hip-hop and rap I'm adding to my library is underground or old-school stuff that I didn't have.
  • I am a fan of the older school hip-hops like Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang, Beastie Boys, etc. I even like MC Hammer a lot. We used to listen to all that stuff on the school bus in elementary and middle school, and it was totally awesome. Since the late '90s the popular hip-hop music has not been to my liking. Thankfully I watched Samurai Champloo and realized that people like Fat Jon were dropping the quality beats. I created a Fat Jon station in Pandora and discovered all the modern hip-hop that doesn't suck.
  • I am a fan of the older school hip-hops like Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang, Beastie Boys, etc. I even like MC Hammer a lot. We used to listen to all that stuff on the school bus in elementary and middle school, and it was totally awesome. Since the late '90s the popular hip-hop music has not been to my liking. Thankfully I watched Samurai Champloo and realized that people like Fat Jon were dropping the quality beats. I created a Fat Jon station in Pandora and discovered all the modern hip-hop that doesn't suck.
    Ever listen to Madvillain? You'd really like it. MF DOOM spits some great verses about Saturday morning cartoons and B-movies, while Madlib mixes old school jazz samples with cartoon theme tunes. They are quite the duo.
  • edited August 2008
    Children's story

La di da di

My older brother was really into rap so when I was really little, I LOVED slick rick!

Also I'd like to know if anyone else connected the Super Mario Star World theme to Nice and Smooth and Funky?

Post edited by Mankoon on
  • slick rick
    Children's Story is a fantastic song.
  • edited August 2008
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2008
    slick rick
    Children's Story is a fantastic song.
    Let it be known!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Just recently I discovered Mac Lethal, and found this video on Youtube.

I thought it was rather amusing.
  • The [Noun]s
    That's a good band name.
    I knew a guy who had a fake band called The Anti-Nouns. "We're against people, places and things."
  • edited August 2008
    Beastie Boys, NWA, and uhh I doubt you will agree with putting Rage Against the Machiene in Hip-Hop but F-it I'm doing it.
    ...Wait, is there a difference between rap and Hip Hop? Fuck there probably is and I'm gonna be made fun of, oh well.
    I just know what I like, not really what sub-category each is under.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Optimus Rhyme recently released a remarkably refined record retrievable without recompense.
  • edited April 2009
    I can't believe I haven't posted any Sage Francis yet. This guy is an incredible lyricist, and he combines that with brutal, unembarrassed honesty about his personal experiences. Great stuff.

Post edited by Walker on
  • edited April 2009
    A newer hip hop artist that is worth a listen is Asher Roth:

Post edited by Blarp on
  • Speaking of Sage Francis:

This is a version of "Sea Lion" featuring Saul Williams. This might be my favorite Sage song ever.
  • Asher Roth is such garbage, oh my god.
  • Asher Roth is such garbage, oh my god.
    To each his own.
  • He's the hip-hop equivalent of Desert Punk.
  • He's the hip-hop equivalent of Desert Punk.
    Crass, lame, inelegant, and far less than it makes itself out to be. That sounds about right.
  • edited April 2009
    Crass, lame, inelegant, and far less than it makes itself out to be.
    Maybe I'm missing something but how is this crass?
    i
    pose a threat to those who get to close for comfort
    and wont conform
    come forward
    sworn on my unborn son if there is one more war i will come for
    poor get poor, the rich just get richer
    get the jist
    you see the big picture?
    china's ditched from a shake on the Richter
    mother earth shrugs and we all get evicted
    this some sick shit
    slightly twisted
    information from our nations capital
    capital is all the captain calls for
    they just want more
    If the only Asher Roth song you have listened to is "I Love College" (which I admit is not a song I like), try listening to the songs that I posted (the above lyrics being from the first video). If this does not apply to you then I'm sorry that I like something you don't, it's not really a big deal.

I did not say that I thought Asher Roth was the Jesus Christ of hip hop, just that I liked a couple of his songs.
    Post edited by Blarp on
  • The first one was inelegant and far less than it made itself out to be. The second one was crass:
    Kinda like the blonde Bob Saget
    Ash can get nasty
    Pass me a blunt and some captain
    chilling with an Ashley
    Heading to the mall
    Sitting in the backseat, getting jerked off
    ten feet tall with the balls of a matador
    Door matted whore with your words heard that before
    This guy just rubs me the wrong way. You can disagree with me and like him all you want, though. I'm not fussed with that.
  • The first one was inelegant and far less than it made itself out to be. The second one was crass.
    This guy just rubs me the wrong way.
    Despite the fact that I like some of his songs, I can see where you are coming from and I apologize if I came off as being rude.
    Hopefully I can redeem myself with this:
  • Would it be right to say that maybe the lyrics of hip hop songs matter a little more than other genres? Simply because the beats are simpler and vocals are really pushed to the front in the soundstage.

As a result, poorly formed lyrics or even lyrics not as cleverly formed can even make a song sound bad when the overall message may not be?

I guess I may like the more pop songs out of the hip hop range which everybody seems to hate. For example I like quite a few Ludacris songs because the humour in the lyrics resonate with me.
    This is the same reason I also like many Beastie Boys songs (for some reason I have every single album).
    I also like some of the Kanye West songs but mostly as good club songs while others have some forced message, this artist seems to have a case where he seems to be forcing the rap rather than being naturally or skilled at it.

For some reason I'm also drawn to the very pop OutKast duo.

I don't know if it counts but I also like the old school Cypress Hill along side with the Rap/Rock/Metal of Rage Against the Machine, the latter is my favourite band and the lyrics seem to be fairly well thought out with an actual political agenda.

Of course I also like the older school Notorious BIG, Tupac and Run DMC.

The worst is yet to come...
    I like the clever way Jay-Z constructs some of his more recent songs and a few of his older ones especially "The Black Album".
    I really got one of his songs in my head the other day "Brooklyn", which when I looked up on the internet found a reply from the Wu Tang Clan's Raekwon with "Staten" and then a reply to that from Mos Def. Weird or normal?

I also like Australian rap as mentioned by Churba earlier - Hilltop Hoods, Koolism but that may just be because I can align myself more with the lyrics and settings placed in those songs.

Now you can commence to throw bricks at me.