This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• sK0pe said:

MATATAT said:

That's still kinda crazy.

Yeah I mean it's going to be hardest for the family, especially for their child to pass away so early.

I guess I look at it automatically as a medical case, maybe as a coping mechanism, but I've had to deal with a lot of death (more than most should) through my past profession.
    What did you do in your past profession?
  • As in veterinarian not veteran (as far as I know).
  • okeefe said:

As in veterinarian not veteran (as far as I know).

Yep. He was an animal repairman.
  • In college there was this guy that sat like four seats away from me in an English class who always gave the professor shit. Then one day he wasn't there and the Professor announced that he had died over the weekend. I think it was maybe a car accident but I'm not positive.
  • Naoza said:

Rym said:

I had a professor die on me at RIT. I guess technically she entered hospice and stopped teaching, but the result was the same.

They literally did the "everyone gets an A" thing and just ended the class.

At RIT I never had anyone die but I did have 11 days of class followed by a note hastily taped on the door saying "I will be in Geneva for the remainder of the year as the LHC has been repaired and I can now continue my *topic* experiments."

Guy seemed like he was really excited about his research and significant less excited about his Physics 3 class.

I don't think an RIT professor has ever been excited about Physics I-III.
  • Not during college but I did know someone who died in a motorcycle accident a week after graduating. Drunk asshole swerved into his lane.
  • It's a miracle none of my friends have died yet. Two in particular nobody thought would live to get into a bar.
  • Not during college but I did know someone who died in a motorcycle accident a week after graduating. Drunk asshole swerved into his lane.

A guy I went to to school with died in crash after a graduation party because he was a drunk asshole. Honestly I would never say I'm glad he died because of all the pain his death caused to others, but if it had to be somebody...
  • So apparently, YouTube has a restricted mode that is active on my @frontrowcrew account, and the only way to turn it off is to contact the network admin. What the hell?
  • So apparently, YouTube has a restricted mode that is active on my @frontrowcrew account, and the only way to turn it off is to contact the network admin. What the hell?

Scroll to the bottom of YouTube's main page. There's a button to turn off Restricted Mode.
  • edited October 2016
    One of my roommates friends stole a bunch of my 360 games and a few ps2 games. I had a bunch in a case and I think they filled it with other games I had on the shelf and then took the whole thing. There's only been so many people here so someone is fixin to get their ass beat if I don't get them back and I find out who.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited October 2016
    Daikun said:

So apparently, YouTube has a restricted mode that is active on my @frontrowcrew account, and the only way to turn it off is to contact the network admin. What the hell?

Scroll to the bottom of YouTube's main page. There's a button to turn off Restricted Mode.
    I tried this. It says to contact my network administrator.

I think it may be my in-laws router?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Greg said:

It's a miracle none of my friends have died yet. Two in particular nobody thought would live to get into a bar.

I've had too many friends die over the last few years. Here's the running count:

Cancer:
    Luke
    Aidan
    Birte
    Mike

Sudden heart attack:
    Gary

Fell off a balcony:
    Ben

The last two were most painful, because they were a total surprise, rather than cancer where at least you can prepare for it emotionally. Gary in particular, who died on the last night of a small juggling festival, and we all had to just sit around in the next while it all went down.

Death sucks.
  • I think the worst for me was my friend Kevin, we were very close at University (studying for Veterinary degrees), he was from Manhattan and was the most positive person I had ever met plus we had the exact same sense of humour.

He moved back to NYC and practised for a few years then there was a communications black out, a few months later his parents let his friends know that he had committed suicide (leaving behind his wife and child). Was apparently overwhelmed with work stresses and had also started taking some hard drugs. Our entire year ended up raising enough money to get his kid through school though which is the least we could do for him (I think everyone in the class took it quite hard).
  • Daikun said:

So apparently, YouTube has a restricted mode that is active on my @frontrowcrew account, and the only way to turn it off is to contact the network admin. What the hell?

I did a quick search, and parental control software appears to be a common cause of this problem. Do you have that enabled?

Also, what browser are you using?
  • Daikun said:

Daikun said:

I did a quick search, and parental control software appears to be a common cause of this problem. Do you have that enabled?

Also, what browser are you using?
    I don't have any parental control software on my PC, and I'm the only account (and administrator). I'm using Chrome like any civilized person should.
  • NYC: where everything's better according to residents

• Oh, schools here are a simmering disaster. They're not great, and that's just one of the problems.

But none of us have kids, so...
  • Getting close to, doesn't affect me so don't care territory there Rym.
  • Naoza said:

Getting close to, doesn't affect me so don't care territory there Rym.

Oh, I care. Schools are bad in most the US. New York has particular problems, but the problems are both different and equally dire in most other places.

The segregation in NYC is just more noticeable because the rich and poor people live on the same street. The segregation is the SAME in the burbs, but it's by school district or town instead.
  • Rym said:

problems are both different and equally dire in most other places.

Wait, if they're different, how can they be equal?
  • Greg said:

Rym said:

A shade of blue and a shade of red can both have the same, equal, saturation.

4+3 is equal to 5+2, but they are two different expressions.
  • Rym said:

Greg said:

Rym said:

A shade of blue and a shade of red can both have the same, equal, saturation.

4+3 is equal to 5+2, but they are two different expressions.
    Yeah I get that in abstract but I'm having trouble applying it to something like this.
  • Suburban high schools are heavily segregated. The school district lines tend to follow class lines and town borders, leading to inherent segregation and disparities in access to quality education. It's the result of decades of policies ensuring de facto segregation by home location.

The same thing happens in NYC, but all within the same school district and more openly by design.
  • Related to these discussions, one of the questions on the Massachusetts ballet is about charter schools
    https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_Authorization_of_Additional_Charter_Schools_and_Charter_School_Expansion,_Question_2_(2016)
    I'm really not sure what to think on these, so if someone with real knowledge or experience like @GreatTeacherMacRoss has an opinion, I'd really love to hear it. Thanks.
  • Fixed link.

I'm voting against it. The problem as I see it is that there are administrative measures around admission to charter schools that will be magnified by expansion. All the Boston educators I know are vehemently against it.
  • My printer won't print in black and white... because it's out of yellow ink.

Thanks Obama.
  • My printer won't print in black and white... because it's out of yellow ink.

Thanks Obama.

It might have a "Use black ink only" mode like mine does. Poke around the settings and such.