This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Greg said:

I'm always terrified of the amount of security schools have. One of the reasons I stayed at BLS was that every other school I was offered had metal detectors. I didn't want to be subject to an administration that distrusted its student population that much, or part of a student population that couldn't be trusted like that. At BLS we had literally no security besides Officer Manny at the door, sitting behind a desk reading. At the beginning of 2013 we installed a buzzer, but that was just to keep my friend David out. Never heard of anyone being turned down there.

What was up with David?
    MATATAT said:

Greg said:

I'm always terrified of the amount of security schools have. One of the reasons I stayed at BLS was that every other school I was offered had metal detectors. I didn't want to be subject to an administration that distrusted its student population that much, or part of a student population that couldn't be trusted like that. At BLS we had literally no security besides Officer Manny at the door, sitting behind a desk reading. At the beginning of 2013 we installed a buzzer, but that was just to keep my friend David out. Never heard of anyone being turned down there.

What was up with David?
    Yeah I was sorta thinking that too.
    He came to school a year after he'd dropped out to hang out with me and my friend Anthony. He didn't have to do anything sneaky, he just walked in with Anthony that morning. His downfall was staying in the dining hall between lunches (the hall isn't big enough for the whole school, so there's three lunch periods) when he ran into an administrator who held a grudge against him from stuff he did while he was a student (tho was one of my fiercest allies when I struggled there). She had him thrown out. Two weeks later the buzzer was introduced. I never got confirmation that it was because of David, but I haven't heard any other reason put forth.

It was November 2012 the buzzer was installed, not early 2013 like I said earlier, but I now remember that David had returned on Halloween.
  • I don't think we even had a security guard. Once or twice a year police dogs would come through the halls for a drug search, but students stayed in classrooms during that. You could usually only get in through the main door though, which was visible through a large window in the administration office.
  • We never had any security at either of the high schools I attended (public and private) have any security measures.

Excess security measures must make going to school very awkward as a student going to a place that is supposed to be a positive environment for learning.
  • My high school was closer to Rym's when I was there. After I left they cracked down on security and you had to have a note from a teacher to be in the hallway, or you could do what my younger sister did which was scribble on a piece of paper and carry it around at all times.
  • We were required to have notes from teachers, but only middle schoolers would be challenged. Midway through 10th grade I stopped even pretending I had a pass and no one asked anything from me.
  • sK0pe said:

We never had any security at either of the high schools I attended (public and private) have any security measures.

Excess security measures must make going to school very awkward as a student going to a place that is supposed to be a positive environment for learning.

Yeah, it's pretty unusual here. Even the stodgiest, most prestigious schools have minimal security, if any. Even the shittiest, sketchiest schools, at least in my area, don't have metal detectors, don't have roaming security guards if they have any at all.

Weirdly enough, lockers are a relatively rare thing too, at least in my experience, with pretty much only the prestigious private schools having them, and even then, not even close to all of them. We mostly just carry our stuff around in our bags.
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

We never had any security at either of the high schools I attended (public and private) have any security measures.

Yeah, it's pretty unusual here. Even the stodgiest, most prestigious schools have minimal security, if any. Even the shittiest, sketchiest schools, at least in my area, don't have metal detectors, don't have roaming security guards if they have any at all.

Weirdly enough, lockers are a relatively rare thing too, at least in my experience, with pretty much only the prestigious private schools having them, and even then, not even close to all of them. We mostly just carry our stuff around in our bags.
    Yeah I had a year long locker in the private school and a temporary one at the rec centre for sports but nothing at the public school.
  • See the problem with security in schools is that unless you're willing to go draconian, (and sometimes even then) it's trivially circumnavigated. You're not dealing with prisoners so if you go too far parents will complain and they have "think of the children" on their side.

Children are the epitome of too much damn time on their hands. If they wanna roam the halls freely they'll figure something out, or they'll fail enough times until something works. I, like any hacker, broke the rules just to see if I could, Skipped every class a few times with no consequence, roamed the halls when I wasn't supposed to, etc. Very quickly got old and attended class again.
  • My school had hella security. In full disclosure, though, my city was riddled with extremely bad gang violence at the time so it made sense. We didn't even have it the harshest of the schools in our district.

Everyone had a 40 minute window to get in campus after the gates were opened in the morning with the only exceptions being some extracurricular like band, journalism, or if you were enrolled in a zero period class. Bag searches weren't a thing but locker searches were. I was never searched but if a rumor got around you were up to any shenanigans, insta-locker search. There would also be body searches for similar reasons. Certain bangers were caught over a dozen times weapons. Usually knives but the occasional gun.

The most egregious of it all was security chaining up the doors to the buildings during class hours. You'd need a hand written teacher note to get out. If you didn't have one, security would not let you leave. Kicker: the bathrooms were outside. Not gonna lie; I peed in a few corners in those halls when dick security guards wouldn't let me use the pisser.
  • Naoza said:

See the problem with security in schools is that unless you're willing to go draconian, (and sometimes even then) it's trivially circumnavigated. You're not dealing with prisoners so if you go too far parents will complain and they have "think of the children" on their side.

Children are the epitome of too much damn time on their hands. If they wanna roam the halls freely they'll figure something out, or they'll fail enough times until something works. I, like any hacker, broke the rules just to see if I could, Skipped every class a few times with no consequence, roamed the halls when I wasn't supposed to, etc. Very quickly got old and attended class again.

Where's the problem?
  • Greg said:

Naoza said:

See the problem with security in schools is that unless you're willing to go draconian, (and sometimes even then) it's trivially circumnavigated. You're not dealing with prisoners so if you go too far parents will complain and they have "think of the children" on their side.

Where's the problem?
    The problem is for those who want security in schools. Also the problem is the waste that it is, spend the money you were spending on security guards and lock repairs and whatever other garbage that isn't working on some new theater or sports equipment or something.
  • My high school had 3 unlocked entrances during the day; at some point they started posting one security guard near each one. But basically if you looked like a student you could just go wherever and nobody cared.
  • -A local brewery lost it's only brewer to a large company
    -I ask if I can apply for the job cause I do brew beer and have won medals for it
    -Send resume to General Manager
    -General Manager sends to Owners
    -Owners say they "will call you" and link up in the afternoon.
    -Two days of silence
    -No one knows about this job opportunity/potential crisis except for brewers in the area. It's not publicly available.

I'm feeling awfully undesirable at the moment when a job that automatically needs employment to keep producing product. And that's pretty bad when my current work is so stressful/family-tied that it's giving me stress burping.
  • Ikatono said:

I don't think we even had a security guard. Once or twice a year police dogs would come through the halls for a drug search, but students stayed in classrooms during that. You could usually only get in through the main door though, which was visible through a large window in the administration office.

Same. They started making it so all the other doors only opened from the inside, and the little office overlooked the front door, but someone could probably have snuck out of sight if they really wanted. We had lockdown drills and they occasionally brought drug dogs through the lockers when we were in class but no one was ever searched outright. I was always appalled when I heard of other schools with security guards and metal detectors, with some going as far as only allowing clear backpacks.
  • edited December 2016
    Our school is small, around 200 kids, so bag searches are reasonable. It's more to catch kids bringing in extra phones, banned foods (no sunflower seeds allowed because they were shooting the shells everywhere), glass containers, and other contraband. Most of the time there's nothing. You've no idea the ludicrous things these kids think see okay to bring into a classroom. Like a portable speaker and mp3 player. They actually thought they would crank it during class during instruction time.

Now, if it's an opened drink, it's taken. All drinks need to be signed with a sharpie.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Our school is small, around 200 kids, so bag searches are reasonable. It's more to catch kids bringing in extra phones, banned foods (no sunflower seeds allowed because they were shooting the shells everywhere), glass containers, and other contraband. Most of the time there's nothing. You've no idea the ludicrous things these kids think see okay to bring into a classroom. Like a portable speaker and mp3 player. They actually thought they would crank it during class during instruction time.

Now, if it's an opened drink, it's taken. All drinks need to be signed with a sharpie.

Reasonable logistically, sure. I can guarantee middle-school me would stop at nothing to get an open beverage into the school, then brag about it. Then stop caring.
  • Copied from the 31 Days of Terminator Blog:
    I am SO fucking over this. I keep a copy of the movie on my phone just so I can squeeze it in every day. I watch Terminator 2 in the bathroom. In lines at the supermarket. While waiting for food to microwave. I don’t have a life anymore; just brief periods of activity between watching terminator 2.

FUCK this movie.
  • My anxiety is apparently still severe enough that it cost me a job. I mustered up the strength to apply, interview, and do an outstanding job on day one, but everything since has been intolerable. I just don't have the mental endurance.
  • Actual facebook comment: "Others of the nazi party actively helped the Jews. You can't just write off a whole group of people. Some agree with certain actions while deploring others. "

I just...I can't.
  • The ol "not every Nazi is bad" argument eh?
  • It doesn't matter what low level Nazis think, the high level Nazis will force them into the mold or get rid of them. See: John Rabe, who was a major organizer in protecting hundreds of thousands of Chinese civilians from Japanese abuse at Nanking. Great humanitarian, despite being a card carrying member of the Nazi party. When he got back to Germany, he taught about the crimes he had seen, so the Gestapo arrested him and sent him to a camp. That is the fate of the not-evil Nazi.
  • edited December 2016
    Nukerjsr said:

Actual facebook comment: "Others of the nazi party actively helped the Jews. You can't just write off a whole group of people. Some agree with certain actions while deploring others. "

I just...I can't.

This is super frustrating because every time I respond "fuck you, yes I can." I'm accused of being too "black and white"
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Naoza said:

Nukerjsr said:

Actual facebook comment: "Others of the nazi party actively helped the Jews. You can't just write off a whole group of people. Some agree with certain actions while deploring others. "

I just...I can't.

This is super frustrating because every time I respond "fuck you, yes I can." I'm accused of being too "black and white"
    I mean you could probably argue that there were a few German soldiers that did, but that doesn't mean they were a real member of the Nazi party, just a German who joined their country's army because they were at war.
  • Naoza said:

Nukerjsr said:

I just...I can't.

I mean you could probably argue that there were a few German soldiers that did, but that doesn't mean they were a real member of the Nazi party, just a German who joined their country's army because they were at war.
    That's just no true scotsman.

I can write off all nazis the same way I can write off all gamergaters, police, and republicans. While each individual republican, nazi, gamergater, and police officer may not be evil, the verb form of all those nouns undoubtedly is, and every member is party to that verb form.

e.g. Individual police officers may not be evil/racist (I'd probably argue most aren't) however policing itself (at least in the states) unquestionably is, and all police are guilty of policing. Hence the write off.
  • Naoza said:

Naoza said:

Nukerjsr said:

I just...I can't.

That's just no true scotsman.

I can write off all nazis the same way I can write off all gamergaters, police, and republicans. While each individual republican, nazi, gamergater, and police officer may not be evil, the verb form of all those nouns undoubtedly is, and every member is party to that verb form.

e.g. Individual police officers may not be evil/racist (I'd probably argue most aren't) however policing itself (at least in the states) unquestionably is, and all police are guilty of policing. Hence the write off.
    Ehhhh... In a nation with conscripts and drafts you can't assume that every soldier believes in what they're fighting for. Not to say that your logic is wrong, but it doesn't really work with Ninjarabbi's example.
  • Aye, but no true Scotsman would become a nazi, or a gamergater, or a police officer, or a republican.
  • If someone self-identifies as a Nazi, they deserve a solid kicking. Same with GGers. If you ACTIVELY decide to be part of a group that ACTIVELY seeks to harm other people, fuck you.

Don't bring that "not all Nazis are bad" shit. It's an evil, murderous ideology. Full stop.
  • I'm not defending the self-identifying Nazi, I'm sympathizing with the victim of the conscript who has to choose between fighting for the 3rd Reich and an extermination camp.
  • I'm somewhat torn here though. What you're doing here was, in a way, done in Nuremberg shortly after the war. Just following orders wasn't really deemed a good enough reason to commit atrocities. That said I can sympathize with being between a rock and a hard place.