This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• His potassium balance is SHOT!
  • Amp said:

I had to eat 4 bananas in half an hour for a video.

Not sure if being baited into saying something inappropriate.

Could probably eat that many in 10 minutes?
  • The twist: Amp is allergic to bananas.
  • AmpAmp
    edited October 2016

Amp said:

Is that... difficult? I put three bananas in a milkshake and drink that in, like, 2 minutes.
    It was after din dins and around 10ish. I think its easier in a shake form.
    sK0pe said:

Amp said:

Not sure if being baited into saying something inappropriate.

Could probably eat that many in 10 minutes?
    It was a self inflicted punishment. It was worth it for the joke, but the strange feelings afterwards was certainly enlightening.
    Greg said:

The twist: Amp is allergic to bananas.

As yet no. But there are some barmy things over here the schools get me to eat. Had to eat natto on Monday. It has a constancy of snot and cum with the after taste of a chest infection. It also sticks to everything and spreads its god awful stench.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Natto is one of the few things that are actually improved by the Japanese habit of putting raw eggs on things.
  • Ruffas said:

Natto is one of the few things that are actually improved by the Japanese habit of putting raw eggs on things.

When you're eating effectively rotten bean goop I would imagine adding just about any food to it would be an improvement.
  • Greg said:

The twist: Amp is allergic to bananas.

As yet no. But there are some barmy things over here the schools get me to eat. Had to eat natto on Monday. It has a constancy of snot and cum with the after taste of a chest infection. It also sticks to everything and spreads its god awful stench.

I had no idea you were so well versed in trying to eat things, that most people wouldn't, prior to Natto.
    Pretty sure I had some for a Japanese breakfast when staying at a Ryokan, wasn't as bad as you describe however I'm sure foods that are poorly prepared can have poor taste. (e.g. the bad name that brussel sprouts get because the majority of people overcook them).
  • Its a strange part of my job as the schools dancing monkey. It sets a bad example to the kids, who are mostly pretty young, if you start throwing a piss fit over something. So you sort of have to deal with it and just eat stuff you don't like. I fucking hate fish bones but god dam do I eat all of my whole fish like something out of a loony tunes cartoon. The amount of horror stories I see of ALTs who go in with an inflexible mindset and wonder why the school thinks they're a douche is staggering.

Getting back on point You could have Michel Roux junior make natto and it would still taste like hobo goop.
    Ruffas said:

Natto is one of the few things that are actually improved by the Japanese habit of putting raw eggs on things.

Did you find that the eggs here have a tendency to cause a bit of gastronomic problems? Only every time I eat some I get from the super market I had better be ready to spend half and hour on the loo.
  • Mate you might want to check if you ended up in a JET program, or a variety show.
  • Churba said:

Mate you might want to check if you ended up in a JET program, or a variety show.

They can be the same thing, depending on where you're placed.
  • Churba said:

Mate you might want to check if you ended up in a JET program, or a variety show.

Thank christ I'm not with JET.

Well I spent my Friday wearing a bear suit riding a child's tricycle being chased by kindergarteners.

All jokes aside unless your at high school or university level you really aren't a teacher of English as an ALT. Your there to make English fun and to talk about your culture. Your in no way qualified to teach, considering how hard it is to get your cert over here, the kids. Does my nutt in when some of m' colleagues act like they are these hot shot big shows. Still you have an amazing time making English fun. Have really upped my singing and dancing game thanks to that.
  • Amp said:

Churba said:

Thank christ I'm not with JET.

Well I spent my Friday wearing a bear suit riding a child's tricycle being chased by kindergarteners.

All jokes aside unless your at high school or university level you really aren't a teacher of English as an ALT. Your there to make English fun and to talk about your culture. Your in no way qualified to teach, considering how hard it is to get your cert over here, the kids. Does my nutt in when some of m' colleagues act like they are these hot shot big shows. Still you have an amazing time making English fun. Have really upped my singing and dancing game thanks to that.
    When I was an ALT in the JET program, I was mostly a glorified tape recorder/human English pronouncer.
  • edited October 2016
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited October 2016
    Daikun said:
    Ah, Now the merger of Time Warner Cable with Charter and Time Warner's divestment from it makes more sense. Regulators are already gonna pitch a fit with Ma Bell eating ANOTHER competitor; don't wanna give them any more ammunition. This way they can just say that they're getting a content supplier rather than a content supplier AND a distribution network.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Have caught a stonkingly bad cold. Smashing headache, blocked nose and a real sore throat. To make matter worse my teeth really hurt on one side. I'm trying to work out if its to do with the cold or bad timing.
  • I managed to catch what might be the weirdest illness I've ever had. My throat fucking hurts, it hurts to swallow, its painful enough that it's giving me a mild headache. But it's not scratchy, I'm not coughing, I don't have a runny nose. I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
  • Strep.
  • edited October 2016
    That was what my girlfriend said too, I don't know that I've ever had strep throat before. I'm assuming I can let it slide, or is this something to maybe check in with a doc about?
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

That was what my girlfriend said too, I don't know that I've ever had strep throat before. I'm assuming I can let it slide, or is this something to maybe check in with a doc about?

If you suspect strep, get your ass to a doctor and get some antibiotics. Untreated strep can complicate to other things that you really super duper don't want.

• See a doctor.
    Although I had marginally similar symptoms a few months back that seemed to just be a result of hurting my throat -- some food scratched up the back of my throat and it got inflamed and made life suck for about a week, but when I saw my doctor I didn't seem to have any infection.
  • Yeah, I'm wondering if it was just some food that fucked my mouth up because it's only on one side. Regardless, I'll make an appointment with the doc.
  • So the Music Box Theater is showing The Handmaiden...which is two blocks away from Wrigley Field...during the World Series weekend.
  • So convention drama happened, not personally but organizationally. Things I told people about are now up in the air and an entire department happens to be offline as a good friend is breathing down my neck for answers. I am scrambling to get something and no one seems to be picking up the virtual phone, man I need to find a means to calm down.
  • edited October 2016
  • Coldguy said:

So convention drama happened, not personally but organizationally. Things I told people about are now up in the air and an entire department happens to be offline as a good friend is breathing down my neck for answers. I am scrambling to get something and no one seems to be picking up the virtual phone, man I need to find a means to calm down.

That's rough, dude. I'm sorry, I hope you find a means to get through.
  • One of my team members for a Uni project just happened to die in their sleep yesterday.

He had been feeling tired for the last few weeks. I assume it was an heart problem that was never detected because he didn't go see a doctor or some stupid GP didn't refer him for imaging.

Kind of ambivalent to it which seems weird as I didn't really encounter him till 11 weeks ago.
  • That's still kinda crazy.
  • I had a professor die on me at RIT. I guess technically she entered hospice and stopped teaching, but the result was the same.

They literally did the "everyone gets an A" thing and just ended the class.
  • MATATAT said:

That's still kinda crazy.

Yeah I mean it's going to be hardest for the family, especially for their child to pass away so early.

I guess I look at it automatically as a medical case, maybe as a coping mechanism, but I've had to deal with a lot of death (more than most should) through my past profession.
  • Rym said:

I had a professor die on me at RIT. I guess technically she entered hospice and stopped teaching, but the result was the same.

They literally did the "everyone gets an A" thing and just ended the class.

At RIT I never had anyone die but I did have 11 days of class followed by a note hastily taped on the door saying "I will be in Geneva for the remainder of the year as the LHC has been repaired and I can now continue my *topic* experiments."

Guy seemed like he was really excited about his research and significant less excited about his Physics 3 class.