This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Observations from a year long listener

edited November 2009 in GeekNights
I only listen to this podcast and never read these forums but I wanted to give some feedback to improve your shows. This is intended as a useful critique only. :) I'm a video game fanatic and this is why I started listening. I'm 31 year old white male residing in Florida.

You guys barely play video games. You may dabble in them, but the content of you newer video game podcasts is pretty thin. You should talk about more games or have someone on that plays more games to discuss them. Nearly every game podcast just talks about Natural Selection and Team Fortress 2. Hardly anyone plays those games, because they are old. ( I get this though, I play an old mmo not many play and it would be boring if all I talked about was this one game ) Pretty much the video game podcast has turned into 10 minutes on how you're not going to buy this new game, then say how much new games suck now, and then you talk about TF2 and NS.

Referring to the "front row crew" is odd, because it's only the 2 of you on the podcast ever. You should have guests (I assume the front row crew is your group of friends) now and then so we don't think these are imaginary friends.

Podcasts about conventions and panels are about as entertaining as church.

Skype-casting quality is not good, not good at all. Scott sounds like he's in a well and i started zoning out while listening to the couch episode when I decided to just turn it off because I consciously thought to myself "wow this sounds like a bad phone conversation between two tweenagers who never wanna hang up the phone and just keep rambling about shit"

I listen to every day-of-the-week podcast, from games to anime and books. I have never watched anime because it's so slowly paced and poorly animated but because of your podcast I may check some of your suggestions out.

That's all. Just my opinion.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I believe you mean Tribes 2.

edit: Also, it sounds like the only anime you've ever watched is Dragon Ball Z.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • I believe you mean Tribes 2.
    I was going to say. Scrym hates TF2. Or, at least, finds it boring as all get-out.
  • edited November 2009
    Referring to the "front row crew" is odd, because it's only the 2 of you on the podcast ever. You should have guests (I assume the front row crew is your group of friends) now and then so we don't think these are imaginary friends.
    While they should have more of their friends on the show and often shit talk about having "round table discussions" where they would do such a thing, the extent of the FRC is probably far more tangible in this forum or at a convention. While I live on the west coast and have never been to a convention they've attended, I know how many panels and events these two and their group of friends organize and put on. Many listeners of the show, in fact, find the show only because of their convention presence. You're getting only a specific, narrow perspective on them by only taking their podcast into account.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2009
    Skype-casting quality is not good, not good at all. Scott sounds like he's in a well and i started zoning out while listening to the couch episode when I decided to just turn it off because I consciously thought to myself "wow this sounds like a bad phone conversation between two tweenagers who never wanna hang up the phone and just keep rambling about shit"
    Listen to 3/4 of the other podcasts on the internet. Geeknights at any point you could consider "Worst" in the last three years or so is a platinum standard, compared to that.
    I do a fair bit of radio production, and I could only hope that half the shows on my station were half as good as Geeknights - not based on content, but purely from a production and presentation standpoint. When you add content into the mix - I still wish that even half the shows on my station were that good.

I'd even rate Geeknights on Production above TWiT - and Leo Laporte does this for a living. He has a professional studio, and primarily supports himself and his family quite well from the TWiT network, and has been a professional radio host and producer since 1991.

Yeah, it does sound like a pile of Ass compared to regular Geeknights, but consider that even in this, compared to most other podcasts out there, you're still being spoiled.

Edit - Wait a minute -
    Observations from a year long listener
    If you've been listening for a year, and you can only Assume that the FRC is Scrym's group of friends(Among other things), and you're listening to every show per week, I question how well you are actually listening.
    My Ex listened for less than a year, and just from listening to the podcast she knew not only that the FRC were Scrym's group of friends, But roughly Where and how the FRC was formed, the names of some of the members, that there is a roughly yearly road trip of the FRC to Wildwood, and a few other details.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Referring to the "front row crew" is odd, because it's only the 2 of you on the podcast ever. You should have guests (I assume the front row crew is your group of friends) now and then so we don't think these are imaginary friends.
    Wtf? What kind of person would first make the assumption that Rym and Scott's friends are imaginary? Is it inconceivable that they have a real-life group of friends that they might refer to in the podcast here and there?
  • I have never watched anime because it's so slowly paced and poorly animated
    WhatisthisIdonteven...
  • edited November 2009
    I have never watched anime because it's so slowly paced and poorly animated
    ....Wow.
    I have never eaten food because it's so chewy and smells funny
    This is the extent of your idiotic generalization.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    While they should have more of their friends on the show and often shit talk about having "round table discussions" where they would do such a thing, the extent of the FRC is probably far more tangible in this forum or at a convention
    While I cannot argue with that at all Sail, as it is a well known fact amongst the regulars here at the forums, the fact of the matter is is that they need to stop shit-talking and not say they'll do things unless they actually intend on following up with these claims. I mean how long ago did they say the store would be up and running? I even remember a conversation in a thread where Emily said she'd do it and would have Scott show her how to do it. It's been forever since they said they'd put up a store, and while there is in fact a shell of a store waiting to be worked on, I'm starting to believe that the store will never come into existence. While many of you would say that the crux of this argument is that they have jobs, their own personal lives to attend to, and have little time as it is to worry about small details of their podcast that now airs only a few times every two (or three) weeks, that doesn't matter as they need to get their priorities straight and practice what they preach.
    Post edited by Geo on

• Referring to the "front row crew" is odd, because it's only the 2 of you on the podcast ever. You should have guests (I assume the front row crew is your group of friends) now and then so we don't think these are imaginary friends.
    I am in fact imaginary, last I checked.
  • edited November 2009
    I have nevereaten foodbecause it's sochewyandsmells funny
    I chuckled. Well played.
    Post edited by Sail on

I am imaginary! Now that's an accomplishment.

Those of you who have been mentioned by name numerous times, and done FRC panels at cons, are ESPECIALLY imaginary. I can only hope I'll be as imaginary as you guys. ;-;
  • I have nevereaten foodbecause it's sochewyandsmells funny
    I chuckled. Well played.
    Bravissimo, loltsundere, bravissimo
  • I am in fact imaginary, last I checked.
    I KNEW IT.
  • edited November 2009
    While many of you would say that the crux of this argument is that they have jobs, their own personal lives to attend to, and have little time as it is to worry about small details of their podcast that now airs only a few times every two (or three) weeks, that doesn't matter as they need to get their priorities straight and practice what they preach.
    I bolded what constitutes as priorities in a functional person's life.
    Please tell me you were just being sarcastic.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • The amount of stupid on this thread is starting to just ejaculate all over the place.
    they have jobs
    that doesn't matter as they need to get their priorities straight and practice what they preach.
    Are you KIDDING? You'd better be. You've obviously never held a full-time job for a fraction of your life, or you would realize that this:
    they have jobs
    holds infinite priority over this:
    I WANT MY GEEKNIGHTS BUTTSECKS T-SHIRT NAO.
    Really? Seriously? God damnit internet.
  • I'm 31 year old white male residing in Florida and I am NOTABANNANARIDER.
  • I have never watched anime because it's so slowly paced and poorly animated but because of your podcast I may check some of your suggestions out.
    Akira. Cowboy Bebop. Big O. Jin-Roh. Ninja Scroll. Black Lagoon. Ghost in the Shell. Code Geass. Neon Genesis Evangelion. TTGL. Getter Robo. Trigun. VOTOMS. Full Metal Panic! Full Metal Alchemist. Macross.

I can continue proving you wrong. Do you want me to continue?
    I'm 31 year old white male residing in Florida and I am NOTABANNANARIDER.
    I am likewise baffled. It sounds vaguely homophobic, but I can't quite be sure.
  • Urban Dictionary has two suggestions, both... interesting.
  • Urban Dictionary hastwo suggestions, both... interesting.
    I guess that being a 31-year-old male from Florida would rule out the second one...
  • I'm just gonna sit here and wait for this man to defend his claims.
  • edited November 2009
    Urban Dictionary hastwo suggestions, both... interesting.
    I guess that being a 31-year-old male from Florida would rule out the second one...
    Ah, but he says he isn't a banana rider, so it's consistent.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • *rolls eyes*

So.. all anime are poorly animated and slow paced. Every single one in existence, hm? I'm going to have to implore you to listen to Anime Pulse or Anime World Order. (Just because they're awesome. Just like Scrym.)
    WIndUpBird touched on a small sample of great anime series that currently exist.

Rurouni Kenshin (the first two seasons, Trust & Betrayal and the film), Trigun, Berserk, Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors), Saint Seiya...

However, for most of these series, their manga counterparts are so much better. ...Especially Akira's, Trigun's, and Rurouni Kenshin's.
  • First let me state that I enjoy listening to the podcast, there are just things I wish they would improve on.

Secondly, I knew even before posting this I would probably get the majority of the board attacking me. It's to be expected, that's why I prefaced with saying it was my OPINION.

Now....... I did forget to mention something.

Anime isn't that easy to just get into, most of my time is consumed with work and gaming. I just haven't ever watched any because the times I have tried, I watched a few minutes and got bored. Maybe it's just not my thing *shrug* Like I said though, I just never got into it, I don't hate it, or those who like it.

I listened to their review of Dungeons and Dragons online...... I laughed my ass off when I heard them say. "I logged onto the game and couldn't even move". I just was thinking...... wow ......... you guys suck at playing video games. I have played DDO on and off since release and it's not a bad game. They just sounded like they were complaining because it wasn't NS or Tribes 2 or whatever. Yes, the game of DDO has changed since they made it free, free playing = no filter to keep kids out. It didn't even sound like they left the noob area, heh.

This would be the equivalent of me turning on an anime, watch 3 episodes of a series, and judge the series and all anime on that experience.

Churba: you're right, the show is well produced :) The quality of show sounded much better on the DDO show, so that's good. :)

Lastly, I just chose a stupid / funny nickname to post this. I could give 3 shits if you like it or not, you're bothering to judge someone on their made up retarded forum, heh. I knew that posting this would probably make me look like a flamer/troll, but it was just to make some suggestions. I knew posting on the podcast creators forums some criticisms I would get attacked by the "bananariders" of said show. This is the origin of my name, and why I chose it.
  • Is it inconceivable that they have a real-life group of friends that they might refer to in the podcast here and there?
    Yes.

The entire purpose of Geeknights is for the Scrym to brag to the internet about things they did. I would point you toward the Bombcast or Rebel FM for what you are looking for in a podcast.
  • Secondly, I knew even before posting this I would probably get the majority of the board attacking me. It's to be expected, that's why I prefaced with saying it was my OPINION.
    Oh hai, WELCOME TO THE INTERNET.
    I just haven't ever watched any because the times I have tried, I watched a few minutes and got bored.
    This would be the equivalent of me turning on an anime, watch 3 episodes of a series, and judge the series and all anime on that experience.
    Not only did you do just that but you admitted to it in the same post. Excellent.
    I could give 3 shits if you like it or not
    Then why are you even wasting your keystrokes by explaining it?
    you're bothering to judge someone on their made up retarded forum, heh.
    Listen, everyone. Because we didn't like the username of the guy who doesn't give two three shits about what we think of his username, the entire forum is now retarded. This is the mark of a man who is too cool to care!

I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but you need to take a few practice runs on your "constructive criticism" before you take another shot at laughing at your own jokes on retarded forums, or whatever. Or maybe just go back to "not" riding bananas. Yeah...
    Yes.
    Well then Breloom, color me nonexistent.
  • ...DDO. ..I don't even know where to begin.
    Also, if you watch a few episodes of anime and get bored quickly, either A) it's the wrong type of genre for you; or B) You have ADD.

Scrym do not suck at playing video games. If all you wanted to do was critique, you didn't have to join the "retarded forum" as you so put it. You could have just easily sent an email.

Also, you are a f-...nevermind. I'll leave it to the forum staff to deal with you as they see fit. I almost put on my mod hat from my home forum. *takes deep breath*

Well, then. *ahem*

@Railith - ....Somehow I feel as if there is sarcasm within your post. However, if I am wrong, then, I will just say that I feel very sad about that response.

• Lastly, I just chose a stupid / funny nickname to post this. I could give 3 shits if you like it or not, you're bothering to judge someone on their made up retarded forum, heh. I knew that posting this would probably make me look like a flamer/troll, but it was just to make some suggestions. I knew posting on the podcast creators forums some criticisms I would get attacked by the "bananariders" of said show. This is the origin of my name, and why I chose it.
    I didn't judge. I only pointed something out that I found a little funny. I wouldn't seriously assume to know all about you, especially not on that basis. The fact that you listen to every podcast every week for a year, despite a lack of interest in the topic at hand, says more about you than the name you picked.
    I don't criticize you because I'm a big fan, either. I've only listened to a handful of the podcasts. My main issue with the direct content of your post is that silliness with "FRC could be imaginary" bit. That's the only thing I brought up.

I do have another issue/question, though, on your 'altruistic' intentions. If you're only here to deliver your amazing advice, why didn't you just send an email? They have one, you know. As a year-long listener that found this forum, I'm sure you must know. Wouldn't email be easier, too? You went to the trouble of joining a forum, and now you're going to the trouble of arguing with people on the internet. Rym and Scott may not even see this. Really, if your only goal was to deliver a series of suggestions, why didn't you just email them? You had to have a reason to post all this on a public forum. You want to illicit some kind of reaction from people that you could not get via email. You even claim to have expected reactions from others.

You choice to post here implies one or both of these things:
    1. You didn't think at all.
    2. Or you were looking to do a little soft trolling, and/or attention whoring.

Which is it?
  • I could give 3 shits if you like it or not
    Then why are you even wasting your keystrokes by explaining it?
    you're bothering to judge someone on their made up retarded forum, heh.
    Listen, everyone. Because we didn't like the username of the guy who doesn't givetwothree shits about what we think of his username,the entire forum is now retarded.This is the mark of a man who is too cool to care!

I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but you need to take a few practice runs on your "constructive criticism" before you take another shot at laughing at your own jokes on retarded forums, or whatever. Or maybe just go back to "not" riding bananas. Yeah...

Yes.
    Well then Breloom, color me nonexistent.

I actually mis-typed while editing that sentence during typing. It was meant to say, "made up retarded forum NAME" meaning my name since that was the topic of that sentence. I must have deleted it when i took a chunk of text out.

And wow, you're a real dick. There, I called you, yes...... specifically you, only you a name. Let's see how fired up that makes you considering you got offended by my critique of a few items in a podcast.

• Lastly, I just chose a stupid / funny nickname to post this. I could give 3 shits if you like it or not, you're bothering to judge someone on their made up retarded forum, heh. I knew that posting this would probably make me look like a flamer/troll, but it was just to make some suggestions. I knew posting on the podcast creators forums some criticisms I would get attacked by the "bananariders" of said show. This is the origin of my name, and why I chose it.
    I didn't judge. I only pointed something out that I found a little funny. I wouldn't seriously assume to know all about you, especially not on that basis. The fact that you listen to every podcast every week for a year, despite a lack of interest in the topic at hand, says more about you than the name you picked.
    I don't criticize you because I'm a big fan, either. I've only listened to a handful of the podcasts. My main issue with the direct content of your post is that silliness with "FRC could be imaginary" bit. That's the only thing I brought up.

I do have another issue/question, though, on your 'altruistic' intentions. If you're only here to deliver your amazing advice, why didn't you just send an email? They have one, you know. As a year-long listener that found this forum, I'm sure you must know. Wouldn't email be easier, too? You went to the trouble of joining a forum, and now you're going to the trouble of arguing with people on the internet. Rym and Scott may not even see this. Really, if your only goal was to deliver a series of suggestions, why didn't you just email them? You had to have a reason to post all this on a public forum. You want to illicit some kind of reaction from people that you could not get via email. You even claim to have expected reactions from others.

You choice to post here implies one or both of these things:
    1. You didn't think at all.
    2. Or you were looking to do a little soft trolling, and/or attention whoring.

Which is it?
    everything

you're all right, i'm wrong

/gameoveridon'tcare

ps. i didn't see their email link, i saw this forum link
  • ps. i didn't see their email link, i saw this forum link
    And you say you've been listening for a year? Their email is at the end of every podcast.