This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• I will never apoligize for being an asshole. I'm consistent like that. I also try to reserve my douchiness for moments where it is truly warranted.
    Oh REEEAAAALLY. I distinctly recall you being a jerkface several times and apologizing for it. Jerkface and asshole are not different, dude.

Also, you spelled "apologize" wrong.

• I will never apoligize for being an asshole. I'm consistent like that. I also try to reserve my douchiness for moments where it is truly warranted.
    Oh REEEAAAALLY. I distinctly recall you being a jerkface several times and apologizing for it. Jerkface and asshole are not different, dude.

Also, you spelled "apologize" wrong.

I meant "on the Internet," which you obviously should have known. Why aren't you psychic?

There's really no taking me to task.

I'm pretty sure I chimed in somewhere in the big pharma argument. I probably said something in there like "you're an idiot." You were probably being an idiot.
    I wasn't talking about an argument between me and you, I was talking about Jack getting his ass ripped out by a few of you a week or two ago.

I don't have any problems with anybody arguing with me until ad hominem becomes most of the argument.
    Oh yeah, that.

• Muppet, you're right. I do have a problem with you personally, because you're a dick about taking things personally. You think this is a witch hunt. It isn't. It's me calling you out for being a dick, and making a forum I've enjoyed for five years less enjoyable. The only other person I called out in the same way is Nine, and he has been banned multiple times, though for different reasons.

You seem to think it is because you're an outsider. You're not. You're a member of this forum. And you're being a dick. If you were an outsider, I wouldn't bother. Your response to my last post, and the three or four responses you inevitably to this post, will only go further to establish just how much more of a dick you are.

The reason I'm being so blunt about this is to make it crystal clear that I'm not joking. I'm not joshing around, nor am I "piling on" for no reason. I'm being very considerate in what I am saying, thinking it out beforehand, etc. The last time I expressed this was in the rape topic, but now you've gone on again about the same topic. But it's not just debates that stem from the topic of rape, it's thread after thread after thread.

You're being a dick. And you're continually annoying. Please stop. My pleas are selfish, because they are based on my own continued enjoyment of the forum, but I might as well be honest.
  • This thread has transcended from "interesting flamewar" to "time for the popcorn gifs."
  • Luke I was very earnest when I said that I accept that you think I'm a bad person and I retire from trying to convince you otherwise.
  • This forum has transcended from "interesting flamewar" to "time for the popcorn gifs."
  • edited October 2012
    I don't think you are intentionally a bad person. If so, I'd say you were being a cunt. But you're being a dick.

What I'm trying to point out is that, no matter how harmless or not-bad or not-annoying you think you are being, is that you are being very annoying and coming off as a complete dick.

Now, I understand that you think saying "I'm sorry that your opinion of me is wrong" is the clever thing to do, but this is just another step in your coming off as an annoying dick. However, I think it's very clear that I'm not looking for any kind of apology. That you think I am just shows how clueless you are.

What I'm looking for, or at least hoping for, is that you understand that no matter how nice you *think* you are being, and how non-annoying you *think* you are being, you are actually coming off as a complete dick, and being very annoying about it.

I don't care how often you reply to my statements. You're going to be utterly defensive, of course. That isn't my problem. You replying to me or not isn't what I care about. I can take it. What I can't take is you being the same way to everyone else. Even if the other person deserves it in your mind, multiplying your actions in thread after thread means they weigh down the entire forum. Being a dick once, and being defensive about it once, isn't going to cause anyone to complain. Your actions, however, show a large trend.

You can take this message like an adult, or you can carry on acting like a spoiled 14 year old. Carrying on like a spoiled 14 year old will not make anyone but yourself either more happy or have a higher opinion of you as a person. No amount of you trying to convince me of anything will change my opinion, because it is the very act of trying to convince anyone about anything is what is lowering my opinion in the first place.

Your call.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I don't share your analysis of me Luke, so you can go on expounding if you like about what a child I am but you'll find it very frustrating I expect.
  • edited October 2012
    Mups, he has a point. In fact, part of the reason I value Luke's opinion on these sorts of matters(among others) is because I know he'd call me out for being a cockhead, if he thought I was being a cockhead - And be perfectly willing to grab a beer later, because he's not making a personal point about it, he's just calling out what he sees as poor behavior.

Just stop and let the whole thing lie, or at least step away and have a cuppa or something. Trust me, at the least, you'll feel a bit better when you get back to it.

Unless you don't like tea, in which case I'm not even sure you're even human.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba I do regret my tack in one or two arguments on this forum but this most recent isn't one of them, the one everybody got up in arms about.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not always objective about my temper, particularly when meds are involved, and I may have been a right dick at least once before, but not today.

I value your opinion a lot more than Luke's because frankly, I think Luke has a very broken mental model of me that he gleaned by compositing strongly interpreted (by him) viewpoints I expressed in arguments he was not being objective about himself. And anyway, I guess that's snarky to say. He's chomping at the bit for a opportunity to call me out, and today's opportunity, frankly, was a pretty weak one (as others have already expressed, if not in direct relation to Luke's comments) which I think reveals his strong bias. In terms of fairness and objectivity and a demonstrated innate ability to diplomatically distance ones' self, I think you come out way on top.

However, I do concede that I'm not always wonderful (maybe I should post my current steroid dose under all my comments. :-P)

Anyway not to sully my concession with a follow-up joke: sometimes I can be a dick.
  • You see, I've got no problem with calling you out, Muppet. That's not what I'm annoyed about. Really. Your opinion of me, and my opinion of you? None of that matters. What matters is that you are making my life worse by continuing your dickish and annoying behavior with multiple other people across multiple other threads.

My life is made more enjoyable because I spend time on this forum. You are making time spent on this forum less enjoyable. At this point the best investment of my time isn't to just avoid the forum, because in the future I'd still like to enjoy it. Instead, by trying to point out how you could change, I hope to make it bearable to read through interesting conversations in the threads I've enjoyed over (literally) year of my life until now.

Do you remember all the other times I've engaged with you on the forum? There was one other time, when I was calling you on similar bullshit in a conversation about rape. I'm totally fine with not feeding the trolls, even if the person honestly doesn't think they are trolling. However, if someone is disrupting many threads across multiple topics and conversations, I'll ask them to stop.

I don't have any power to control your behavior, as I'm not a moderator. If I was, you'd be banned already. The one time I addressed someone like this in the past, it happened that the moderators did agree with me, and that person was banned. I'm not saying this as a threat, I'm saying it because the level of annoyance you are causing me is the same level that can and has caused the ban hammer to fall in the past.

Carry on, and think this is all about me misunderstanding you. I don't care about you at all. I really think you are nothing but an annoyance, like a screaming kid in a cafe, and the forum would be better off without you. Other forumites have the excuse that they really are quite young, and that being called out on their shit is often enough to set them right, after a time. Unfortunately you consider that your physical age puts you beyond the stage of learning and personal improvement. It's a real pity.

So... your call.
  • Here, a free one for rym.

• OOOH. That's one of the best ones.
  • Luke, there are a lot of arguments on this forum all the time. I'm on this forum a lot, because I have a sedentary job with downtime that allows me to do that. Consequently, I'm in a lot of the arguments. Arguments are interesting. I like arguments. I've learned more on the internet by arguing than by reading Wikipedia.

You don't like how I argue. You don't like my opinions. You don't like me. Consequently, your subjective opinion of me ruins your experience of the forum which previously, did not include me.

This is not my fault. This does not make me a dick. The fact that I present arguments in a way that annoys you does not make me a dick. With perhaps a rare exception on a very bad day: I don't attack anyone personally; I don't lie; I don't ridicule; I just argue. I'm sorry that you have this problem with me, but only because it means you drop a load like this in a thread every so often trying to disparage me, and I have the choice of either trying to treat you with at least enough respect to try and address your claims and accusations, or ignore you like a dog farting loudly under the table at a dinner party. More and more, the latter seems like the better course of action.

Like I said to Churba, whose opinion I value, sometimes I can be a dick, but I don't agree for one second that it's as ubiquitous as you're painting it to be. Sorry.

I stopped believing that my chronological age made me omniscient around age 24. The only time I've invoked age on this forum has been in an attempt to explain the jargon gap that has seemed to ignite an argument or two far beyond what was reasonable.

I don't buy that your gripe is primarily about my conduct. I think it's primarily about my opinions, and the fact that you would rather not see them. If the moderators agree with you, then I'll be banned.

So it goes.
  • WTF Thread, extra serious, all the time.
  • Did you guys orchestrate this to make us all go "...wtf?"
  • On that note, I'm going to go on forum hiatus for a while. Those of you who care to reach me know how to, or you can probably ask Sail, Ro, Churba, or Walker. I'm just not in the mood for this steady stream of absolute bullshit all the fucking time right now.
  • Ha ha, I have taken it!
  • I need a reason to eat more popcorn. Muppet, keep being a muppet.
  • I would speculate a good amount of the drama here on the forums could be diverted if there was an ignore function on these forums. Hmmm. I also posit, if this were available some users would pretty much ignore 90% of the users here.

Then again, I am enjoying the popcorn.gifs we've managed to find.

• Okay, to break it down:
    Luke, there are a lot of arguments on this forum all the time.
    I've never seen this forum as a place of arguments, but of discussions. You can have an argument about that with someone else though.
    You don't like how I argue.
    That you think I might be fine with people arguing, and it's just the style, again shows me just how much you've misjudged your entire time on the forum.
    You don't like my opinions.
    I honestly don't remember many of your opinions. Of those I do remember, most I agree with. Those I don't agree with aren't even remotely important to me.
    You don't like me. Consequently, your subjective opinion of me ruins your experience of the forum which previously, did not include me.
    You are taking this way too personally. I really don't care about you personally at all. Not one bit. What I do care about is how much you get in the way of my enjoyment of this forum. About that, you are correct. On a daily basis, I wish this forum didn't include you. On a daily basis, I'm quite glad that Nine is part of the forum, it's just at specific instances he becomes unbearable. That you've out-annoyed Nine is quite an accomplishment.

Before you think I'm arguing with you now, I'm not. All I'm doing is trying to explain how each response you make only shows you to be more annoying and come off as more of a dick. Every time you respond to me, it just goes to show how you can't ever grow up, and each time someone finds fault with you, it's not you that is at fault, but their biased perception of you. Isn't it funny that by now, maybe half a dozen people have all come to the same biased and incorrect subjective opinion of you?

I can go on like this all night, but nobody's opinion of me is going to go down at all. For you? I'm not so sure.

So... your call.

• edited October 2012
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Luke I can only think of a very few things less relevant to this conversation than our relative social capital on this forum. And they're all absurd, like the price of compression stockings for Diabetes sufferers.

You can rationalize your visceral dislike of me however you choose. I certainly cannot stop you.
  • His point is he doesn't... You know what? Think what you want, I don't care anymore. I stopped caring awhile back.