This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

Comments

• Should have gotten a roof rake earlier in the season. :/
  • WHY THE FUCK IS IT SNOWING YET AGAIN.

I'm not even actually upset. Just amazed at the sheer volume of snow covering the ground.
  • Can't speak for where you are, but as annoying as it seems in the Boston area, we haven't even cracked the top 20 for snowiest winters ever here so far.
  • I've been burning fossil fuels for the last 15 years to put a stop to this nonsense, why is it still happening? North Virginia is comically bad at handling our merger amount of snow. There's huge piles on the corners of intersections that block your view of the coming traffic. Supposed to be warm this week, I hope they'll melt.
  • The weather's back!
  • I understand why people wear scarves and beanies now. Since I cut my hair recently, my head's natural defenses are gone. Even though it's relatively mild, I can feel this Japanese winter inside my head.
  • Wahm today
  • Isn't it great?
  • No, it's too hot.
  • It's fantastic, I know.
  • Fuck the heat. There's no way to beat it. With the cold, it hurts, but you put on a jacket and you're fine. There's no way to escape the sweat ridden hell that is excessive warmth.
  • You mustn't escape heat. Revel in it. Lie mostly naked in the shade. Sweat everywhere and exhult in that sweat.

90* days are my favorite days.
  • Using air conditioning only makes it worse for you. Acclimate and you will be fine.
  • I used to not love heat so much. There are three reasons I think have led to me now loving heat and hating cold.

1) Living in Rochester for X years. That's enough cold to last the rest of my life.

2) No hair. I highly recommend it.

3) Biking. When I took the subway today, I noticed that standing on the platform was really really hot. But biking in the exact same weather is great. It's like there's a fan blowing on your entire body.
  • Suck it live in air conditioning way better, or better yet MOVE FARTHER NORTH :-p
  • Apreche said:

1) Living in Rochester for X years. That's enough cold to last the rest of my life.

Exactly. Hot weather can be uncomfortable but truly cold weather is just goddamn miserable. You can still be outside on a hot day and still be fine. There is nowhere to hide from the cold.

Although last time I was in Texas you could make an argument for not escaping the heat. But last time I was in Vegas it was 107 and I had no problem walking outside for a bit. That is not true for cold unless you bundle the fuck up and I'm a person who enjoys wearing less clothes.

Also biking wind feels great.
  • Cremlian said:

Suck it live in air conditioning way better, or better yet MOVE FARTHER NORTH :-p

The three seasons room is really more of a two seasons room in this heat.
  • The only downside to heat is that it causes a large infestation of construction.
    When was the last time you ate home grown vegetables in December?
  • ThatGent said:

The only downside to heat is that it causes a large infestation of construction.
    When was the last time you ate home grown vegetables in December?

Um, anybody with a freezer can do that. ;P

• Yeah but they're not fresh then.
  • Yesterday it was so humid and thunderstorms were building on the horizon, that it actually turned the sky this peculiar yellow/orange hue. So everything looked like mother nature put on photo filter.
  • It should not be 80+ and 100% humidity before 5am. I need to figure out how to work my damn air conditioner.
  • If you're turning on your AC, buy some of this. We put it in the two big windows at the front of our apartment and it's cut down a lot on cooling. Read through the reviews as different types of windows need different methods. E.g. Putting it up on our six foot windows needed two people and a wallpaper table.
  • Apreche said:

Sadly, some of us have the misfortune of having ugly heads, to the point where being bald might actually offend the people around us.
  • Not available on Amazon Japan, unfortunately. Lots of others are, so I'll look into them.
  • Lt. Chibi said:

Apreche said:

Sadly, some of us have the misfortune of having ugly heads, to the point where being bald might actually offend the people around us.
    Then you have the added benefit of not having to worry about the heat of other bodies being near you.
  • Ruffas said:

Not available on Amazon Japan, unfortunately. Lots of others are, so I'll look into them.

Make sure it's IR reflective.
  • Fucking weather, it's mid-September and our low tonight is supposed to be 38 F! That's 6 degrees above freezing! My poor tomatoes had to be covered up, and it's still a full month before the average first frost date. >:U
  • I don't understand the fascination with growing tomatoes in the US, even my Godmother grows tomatoes in Rochester.
  • edited September 2014
    sK0pe said:

I don't understand the fascination with growing tomatoes in the US, even my Godmother grows tomatoes in Rochester.

Due to the tomato growing practices in the US, tomatoes you get at the grocery store are almost universally awful and tasteless. Buying tomatoes that actually taste good is difficult and expensive. Growing your own is easy, inexpensive, and even more delicious than buying the expensive ones.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/06/28/155917345/how-the-taste-of-tomatoes-went-bad-and-kept-on-going
    Post edited by Apreche on