This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HungryJoe talks about those Damn Kids in his virtual yard.

Comments

• But I like the idea of god. And it feels nice to pretend sometimes.
    While it's comforting, this self-deception will never allow us to advance as a human race. We must embrace the hard truth and move forward in our understanding of the Universe, no matter our personal preferences.
  • How would my my idea of god hold us back? I understand how religons can do that. But not my idea.
  • Pete - Andrew posted that, not me.
    Oops, my bad. Fixed.
  • How would my my idea of god hold us back? I understand how religons can do that. But not my idea.
    You are not in compliance with atheist orthodoxy. Conform or perish.
  • Shit. I guess I better go get my shot gun. Well goodbye cruel world.
  • edited May 2011
    How would my my idea of god hold us back? I understand how religons can do that. But not my idea.
    It probably doesn't Tim.... because you don't matter, and neither do I, we are all microscopic organisms in the scope of the universe with little ability to influence it and in the end nothing will matter.........I'm going to go sit in front of a screen and zone out for a while.....

Seriously whatever gives you comfort and allows you to sleep at night is probably a net positive. However, there are ways to accept your lot in life and find meaning and inspiration AND support without asking for a supreme being to help you out. I mean he's really busy answering prayers of people starving to death...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Shit. I guess I better go get my shot gun. Well goodbye cruel world.
    Don't forget to write!
  • How is someone praying like that any different than someone hoping to be lucky?
  • How is someone praying like that any different than someone hoping to be lucky?
    Nothing just like I say "Oh God, please don't let me die" Even though I don't believe in a god, it's just a statement of saying "I really hope I'm not the unlucky person who is used as a example of how not to do things".
    Its not. And if thats my point. A posative attitude helps.
  • Its not. And if thats my point. A posative attitude helps.
    If a positive attitude and believing in the golden rule (aka teachings of Jesus) are what is important, why bother with God and Jesus at all?
  • edited May 2011
    If a positive attitude and believing in the golden rule (aka teachings of Jesus) are what is important, why bother with God and Jesus at all?
    It is, of course, unnecessary, as is considering the whole concept of "luck" in the first place. Hoping that random probability will fall on your side and the proverbial die cast in your favor will not change the outcome. It is irrational to think so. However! People like to hope for luck. I know I do. If someone prays to gods or fairies or the moon instead of saying "please be lucky please be lucky!" it does not affect me in the slightest. Humans are full of irrational behaviors, and I swear to you, most people have little quirks and personal superstitions. My lucky clover my sister gave me years ago is not bothering anyone, but it is irrational, because I find it comforting when I feel anxious about something. When it affects me is when people say my friends can't get married because of their irrational quirk, or tell me that I am a bad person because of their quirk, or hurt themselves because of it, that's when it really becomes no good.

Also, Tim, it's positive. There is no "A." You keep spelling it wrong.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Also, Tim, it's positive. There is no "A." You keep spelling it wrong.
    You're not a moderator. Don't inform him of his forum transgressions. It's against the ruuuuurruuuuuuuuuuuus.
  • Nineless is annoying.
  • Pointing out forum transgressions. Not a mod, blablabla.
  • So you're saying that pointing out forum transgressions is a forum transgression? Like, you know, what you're doing now?
  • You are supposed to do that sort of stuff in private message :-p
  • But then how would people know what a bad ass internet vigilante he is?
  • You're not a moderator. Pointing out forum transgressions is against the ruuuuurrrruuuuuuuus.
  • Rules discussion + feedback loop.
  • Nine, how do you know I am not secretly a mod? Ahaha.
    The whole joke was that you are no longer (listed as) a moderator. You're ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
  • Pete, just is more eloquent (and smarter) then I am (and usually makes the point before I can).
    Than.

#onlypointingoutironicspellingmistakes
    The whole joke was that you are no longer (listed as) a moderator. You're ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
    She is FRC. All FRCF members are equal, but some are more equal than others. ~_^
  • edited May 2011
    So, as I understand it, Rym posted that he thinks it's important enough that even a phlebotomist accept evolution that, if he found out a phlebotomist did not accept evolution, he wouldn't allow such a person to provide him any sort of medical treatment. He even compared the non-acceptance of evolution among medical workers of any level to being addicted to crystal meth.

If it's that important to you, should you just start wearing a sign around your neck if you're in the hospital saying, "Please do not provide me any sort of medical treatment unless you accept evolution."?

WindUpBird would have a good idea - Bird, during the course of a hospital stay, given that some forty percent of Americans don't accept evolution, what would you say are the chances that, somewhere along the line, you'd receive treatment from someone, be it an EMT, Phlebotomist, LPN, Nurse's Aide, NP, or even MD, that didn't accept evolution? Would it be reasonable to refuse any medical care at any level, even at the "drawing blood" level from a person who didn't accept evolution?

Also, Bird, do you think that a professor who doesn't accept evolution could successfully teach a survey Anatomy and Physiology class?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Joe, a friendly question: Are you being willfully ignorant in regard to the 40 percent statistic you keep quoting? I am curious. It's already been explained that people who study medical science in order to earn a career will have a higher adoption rate for evolution than, say, a barber or fast food worker.

To your main point: As usual, I think Scrym are taking a sensible ideal and pushing it to the extreme at the expense of practicality. Of course you can't question every medical worker about his or her personal beliefs; however, I would not personally respect anyone who has studied science enough to be involved in medicine yet still denies a very basic, demonstrably correct scientific principal.

As for your second question, how would such a professor address the appendix without acknowledging evolution? Tonsils? Wisdom teeth? Body hair? I can't imagine that someone who is intellectually dishonest to themselves about evidence for evolution within our own bodies would be a good teacher to others.
  • edited May 2011
    Joe, a friendly question: Are you being willfully ignorant in regard to the 40 percent statistic you keep quoting? I am curious. It's already been explained that people who study medical science in order to earn a career will have a higher adoption rate for evolution than, say, a barber or fast food worker.
    Just how much medical education is needed to become an EMT, Phlebotomist, LPN, Nurse's Aid, Pharmacy Tech, Physician's Assistant, Physical Therapist, RN and so forth? I'll admit that, going through proper medical school to obtain an MD will make it unlikely that a person doesn't accept evolution, but if you can be a phlebotomist by sitting through a six-week course straight after high school, I'm not so sure that that particular education would ensure that a person accepts evolution. See how that works?

The explanation you talk about was just an assertion. Also, it was just an assertion about MDs. It's a reasonable assertion, but it's not proof. I'm pretty sure that this forty percent statistic will capture a lot of medical workers who have less education than an MD. How long does it take to get an LPN after high school? Two years? That's not a whole lot of extra medical education. How long for an EMT?

Have you ever taken Anatomy and Physiology, Jason? A deep psychological discussion of the appendix is not required. it's more like, "The appendix is located at the end of the cecum. Moving on . . .". Tonsils? "Here are the locations of the lingual, palatine, tubal, and nasopharyngeal tonsils. They are made of stratified squamous epithelium and pseudostratified, columnar epithelium. They provide some immunological functions it is left to the student to identify. Moving on . . . ". Do you really need evolution for that? Cremlian has a lot of biology experience, and he agrees that you don't.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • You sure are going to great lengths to argue that ignorance is acceptable.
  • A deep psychological discussion of the appendix is not required. it's more like, "The appendix is located at the end of the cecum. Moving on . . .". Tonsils? "Here are the locations of the lingual, palatine, tubal, and nasopharyngeal tonsils. They are made of stratified squamous epithelium and pseudostratified, columnar epithelium. They provide some immunological functions it is left to the student to identify. Moving on . . . "
    If this is all that is required of Anatomy and Physiology, there is no need for professors to teach the curriculum.