This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Occupy Wall Street

1272829303133»

Comments

• Additional lack of evidence is being blamed on media lockouts and LAPD roughing up people with recording equipment, although one would think that some camera phone would have a photo or two or a video or something.

Just think of the areas these are taking place in, Im sure at least one person is filming from a rooftop or office window. Since none of these are surfacing I remain a skeptic.
    Do you need videos specifically of him, or of the arrests in general?

There's plenty of others out there.

• Well, if the videos of the police trashing the occupy encampments aren't proof enough, I don't know what is.
  • Well, if the videos of the police trashing the occupy encampments aren't proof enough, I don't know what is.
    It isn't proof of any of the things that are the issue. I haven't seen a arrest video that showed before after and during the situation. I have seen a lot of videos that start the second after the event that provoked the arrest, and if you look closely at a lot of them you can seen many things that are wrong on the side of the protesters, which leads me to not believe them at all. Police brutality and their attack of people recording is a very serious issue and people are diluting it with their bias spin to reach their own means. People like the earlier youtube video making up a threat against his family by the government, when there are lies like this it is harder to use the truth because people become disinterested and skeptical.

and really if you ever need to chant "we are peaceful" you most likely aren't.
  • To counter, one would think that if there were videos showing the protesters claims to be bogus, they'd be popping up all over the place. There are a significant number of people who are detractors of the whole protest, and surely there are some police and media cameras that would happily release video of the protesters being violent assholes and deserving the punishment dealt out.
    So far, I've not seen any like that.
  • and really if you ever need to chant "we are peaceful" you most likely aren't.
    Ghandi and MLK disagree with you.

• If I chant "Im going to hit you with a large stick" does that mean they will leave me alone? Bit pants there my friend.
  • To counter, one would think that if there were videos showing the protesters claims to be bogus, they'd be popping up all over the place. There are a significant number of people who are detractors of the whole protest, and surely there are some police and media cameras that would happily release video of the protesters being violent assholes and deserving the punishment dealt out.
    So far, I've not seen any like that.
    When OWS own video is do damning why would anyone bothering to make their own
  • I haven't seen a arrest video that showed before after and during the situation.
    Who would be filming this mythical video? You're asking for the nigh impossible.

In any case, videos of all those parts exist, just not as a single narrative. I'd suggest you watch some of them, but I'm not that interested in trying to convince you of anything. More importantly, I don't think you're willing to be convinced of anything.

• I haven't seen a arrest video that showed before after and during the situation.
    Who would be filming this mythical video? You're asking for the nigh impossible.

In any case, videos of all those parts exist, just not as a single narrative. I'd suggest you watch some of them, but I'm not that interested in trying to convince you of anything. More importantly, I don't think you're willing to be convinced of anything.

I've watched the live feeds I've watched many of the videos put out and none of them are flattering. You insult me saying that I'm not willing to be convinced, but that is far from the truth. Really though what are you trying to convince me of, that people aren't looking out for their best interest and using every possible thing they can to get their way? It would appear however that you are unwilling to look at the bullshit everyone is conducting around these events.
  • I guess that the police may have mistreated people while arresting them. There's mostly just video of shoving people around during the arrests (including CNN and RT reporters). The only really egregious violent arrest I can find video of is Tyson Heder.
  • I guess that the police may have mistreated people while arresting them. There's mostly just video of shoving people around during the arrests (including CNN and RT reporters). The only really egregious violent arrest I can find video of is Tyson Heder.
    The whole "firing tear gas at a guy's face, and then flash-banging the group of people who went to rescue him" was one of the worst IMHO. Trashing the encampments and then blaming the protesters for the 'mess' was also a tremendously dickish move.

The whole "firing tear gas at a guy's face, and then flash-banging the group of people who went to rescue him" was one of the worst IMHO. Trashing the encampments and then blaming the protesters for the 'mess' was also a tremendously dickish move.

My posts thus far in this thread have only been about Los Angeles. Oakland is a total clusterfuck.
    do you mean this video

because watching only what the video shows I see several people filming and no one bothering them. I also see a man who is clearly not allowed to be where is he and is screaming at officers and resisting arrest.

You need to look at all of these things with a neutral eye. Even the Oakland video does not show what everyone is damning it for.
  • The police claim he spit on an officer, which I guess justifies shoving him down a short flight of stairs (under the white fabric there).
  • You need to look at all of these things with a neutral eye. Even the Oakland video does not show what everyone is damning it for.
    You mean a man being shot in the head with a teargas canister to be bait for other protesters, and then a flashbang grenade being used at an unsafe operating distance, lobbed directly into a group of people trying to help a man who later needed brain surgery?

Because that's exactly what it shows:

That marine that got shot didn't throw anything and wasn't being violent, and the people who were helping him weren't either. They were fleeing and attempting to help someone, and were victims of thuggery. It's pretty simple.

• X-post from Fail of Your Day, 'cause it's equally applicable to both...

So, I ran into an Occupy event-thing in Grand Central. Shit was confusing as fuck, couldn't understand a word they were saying, and they really weren't getting their message across with any clarity at all. Supposedly it was an anti-NDAA event, but I had no fucking clue until I looked it up and read an article about it. Copied-pasted from AIM 'cause I'm really lazy:

(06:28:01 PM) Joe: Yeah, the Occupy thing started and I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on
    (06:28:50 PM) Joe: I couldn't get a look at any of their signs, the echo in the concourse made them impossible to understand, and after a few minutes, some guys started detailing information about every. Single. Train, supposedly in an effort to drown them out
    (06:29:09 PM) Joe: It wasn't until I actually asked a surveying police officer that I figured out what the fucking deal was
    (06:29:23 PM) Joe: And after that, looked up "Occupy grand central" on Google to sort out the rest.
    (06:29:26 PM) Joe: NICE. FUCKING. GOING.
    (06:29:41 PM) Joe: I *wish* I could be on their side, I really really do
    (06:30:07 PM) Joe: But between those idiots and the god-awful "Occupy RIT/Rochester" attempts, I'm just jaded from that particular movement.